Sail and Sign on debit card?

calex1976

you need to get your credit limit increased...$300 is way too low to travel with...emergencies do happen...

If you can't get it increased make sure your checking account is very well funded or that you have extra cash on you...and do buy a travel insurance policy...but you still need to charge emergency expenses before reimbursement anyway

But the low credit card limit really concerns me....please say you are not traveling with kids..and that you are just responsible for yourself.

I have heard a few bad things on using a debit card for the sign and sail card. My credit card has a $300 limit on it and I would rather not be shut down if it gets maxed out.

What happens if you go over the limit on your cruise? I have heard of some outrageous bills at the end of the cruise, do people end up making payment plans or what happens? We plan on paying most every thing up front to keep our bill lower. Just wondering how final billing works, thanks.

The OP never said he wanted to rack up his bill and work out a payment plan later. He was simply asking a question. You do not know the OP's financial status and who are you to assume? I am credit worthy and do not have a credit card. I could go out and get one but why should I? I pay with cash and maybe that is what the OP does. Maybe he lives within his means. Do you?

His question was, what would happen if I max out my card...is there a payment plan? I never claimed I knew of his financial status...I do, however, make an education hypothesis, based upon his credit limit and questions of how to work out a payment plan that maybe he doesn't manage money well and he should re-consider his vacation if he thinks he will need to work out a "payment plan"! No one is saying you have to have a credit card...in fact, I commend you for not having one! Credit....not money...is the root of all evil!

And if he didn't wish for people to "assume" things about his credit worthiness, then maybe he should avoid posting such personal considerations in a public forum. ;)

...I do, however, make an education hypothesis, based upon his credit limit and questions of how to work out a payment plan that maybe he doesn't manage money well and he should re-consider his vacation if he thinks he will need to work out a "payment plan"!

WoW!!! Quite an assumption was made here....I guess it was just an "uneducated hypothesis". Didn't know one credit card limit dictates how well you manage money.

We plan on paying most every thing up front to keep our bill lower. Just wondering how final billing works, thanks.

I don't think that OP was trying to find out how HE could "work out a payment plan"....He clearly states his intentions to pay everything up front.

No one knows what the $300 limit is about. Some people lead cushy lives without setbacks, so they are clueless.

My lightbulb came on with the statement about an ex putting huge amount of debt on a card. I CAN RELATE TO THAT! This can ruin a person's credit rating. especially if it's in dispute. (That's another subject)

I would be jumping for joy to get a credit card with a $300 limit, but due to the ex, this isn't possible. I can't even join something as simple as a local dating service because of no credit card, even though my debit card is very comfortable.

So, don't assume a person can't pay for things. I can, just not credit worthy on PAPER!

I usually put $50-$100 per pay period on my account in the form of Fun Ship dollars for OBC before we travel. When we get to the ship I put a few hundred cash to activate the S&S account and I'm set.

We have had a refund check when we disembark the last 3 cruises so we actually come home with more money than when we left. :D

I never meant to cause a up roar with this post. Just wanted to know others experiences with using debit cards. Thank you all that actually read the original post and replied with useful answers. I only stated that I had a limit on one of my cards not that I had a spending limit on my trip. Just because some ones credit is damaged by a ex that has nothing to do with their finances. Actually I make a very good living as a captain, how do you think I have spent 3,500 days on the water? Thanks again every one.

Wow, some of you folks need to step down off your thrones, knock the chips off your shoulders and have a little compassion for us normal folks.

Op, I agree with others who say put cash down. We have done that and have not have any problems. The one time I used a debit type card, the was a hold for about 7 days. So, I prefer cash.

Our excursions are normally paid for in advance. We don't drink much at all (one or two drinks per person for the cruise). We do gamble, but take cash for that. I do buy pictures and a few other items. So we normally stay under $300, with tips.

Hope this helps!! Have a great cruise!!

I never meant to cause a up roar with this post. Just wanted to know others experiences with using debit cards. Thank you all that actually read the original post and replied with useful answers. I only stated that I had a limit on one of my cards not that I had a spending limit on my trip. Just because some ones credit is damaged by a ex that has nothing to do with their finances. Actually I make a very good living as a captain, how do you think I have spent 3,500 days on the water? Thanks again every one.

People went in many directions with your post. Maybe you should have been more specific in that post. 3500 days on water...have they parted yet?

Wow...we are doing cash too and not a lot by the way. But if you put say 150 on your account before you go is that activating your account or do I have to bring the actual cash and hand it to them to activate it?

A lot of assumptions being made here about people's finances...maybe people should mind their own and answer the questions.:rolleyes:

Off my box now...

I have heard a few bad things on using a debit card for the sign and sail card. My credit card has a $300 limit on it

So did ours, $300 per day.

Little did I know then that they instantly chanrged our tips and excursions on it first day, putting it well over the limit. I tried to buy a picture frame first night it was declined and I got called to the pursers desk. Our S&S account was at just over $400.00, over the $300 daily limit. I explained that to them but to no avail and ended up giving them a credit card. The charges on the debit card were held pending for 10 days and dropped off on the 11th.

Worked out fine but held up the debit card money for a while.

We now pay our tips when booking, pay for excursions when booked online and use CASH for the S&S account on the ship.

No problem last cruise.

So did ours, $300 per day.

Little did I know then that they instantly chanrged our tips and excursions on it first day, putting it well over the limit. I tried to buy a picture frame first night it was declined and I got called to the pursers desk. Our S&S account was at just over $400.00, over the $300 daily limit. I explained that to them but to no avail and ended up giving them a credit card. The charges on the debit card were held pending for 10 days and dropped off on the 11th.

Worked out fine but held up the debit card money for a while.

We now pay our tips when booking, pay for excursions when booked online and use CASH for the S&S account on the ship.

No problem last cruise.

I have prepaid tips myself, but I'm sure a few more charges will show up. I plan on useing cash, but will have a my debit card if it is needed. Then will have the credit card to get home if I need it. I do not see my account being to high at all, but I always try to plan ahead.

People went in many directions with your post. Maybe you should have been more specific in that post. 3500 days on water...have they parted yet?

After I posted I realized I was not as clear as intended. Would have changed it but, we ended up going back off shore. I was asking one thing then ended up asking another in the same post. Was just curious if anyone ever went way over budget and got stuck with a unpayable bill. As for my sea time, I started comercial fishing at 13 during summers, fishing full time at 17. Then at 23 started working on crew boats for the oil industry. At 34 I'm some where around 3,500 days. Sorry thought I might need to explain the amount.

From what I read, they put a hold on your card for x amount of dollars from the time you swipe your card so you have enough at checkout time. In other words they want first dibs on your money. If it gets too close to your limit, you can't charge anymore. If one tries to buy on shore, let them get their rejection there. There is no payment plan for overcharges, they won't let it happen.

From what I read, they put a hold on your card for x amount of dollars from the time you swipe your card so you have enough at checkout time. In other words they want first dibs on your money. If it gets too close to your limit, you can't charge anymore. If one tries to buy on shore, let them get their rejection there. There is no payment plan for overcharges, they won't let it happen.

That makes sense, was just curious how that worked. I will be watching my spending very close. Thanks

I opened a new checking account just for the cruise and used my debit card on my first cruise. My S&S bill was way over $300. I didn't have a problem. It's weird that yours has a limit, at least to me. I've never heard of that before.

As for what happens if someone is unable to "settle up" at the end of the cruise, I have no idea. I would be interested in knowing though. I doubt they would let you off the ship until you've given them something. I envision family members sending Western Union or some room in the bottom of the ship that they hold you until your "ransom" can be paid. Oh my, no more True Crime Channel for me. LOL

I, unfortunately have been unable to "settle up" in the past. I always travel with cash and on my cruise on Valor in '09 was unable to pay the balance at the end of the cruise. This was due to my girlfriend making a call to her mother back home while at sea, unknowingly racking up a $340 bill along the way.. Long story short, our pockets were about a hundred dollars short and arent in a position to just call home for bail money. Nevertheless, I just signed a form, they copied my drivers license, and I promised to pay the balance in full within 30 days of debarkation. It's hard to believe the cruise line would retain any passengers for a second longer than they had paid for. Anyways, hope this answers OP's question.

• 2 weeks later...
I usually put $50-$100 per pay period on my account in the form of Fun Ship dollars for OBC before we travel. When we get to the ship I put a few hundred cash to activate the S&S account and I'm set.

We have had a refund check when we disembark the last 3 cruises so we actually come home with more money than when we left. :D

That's awesome and ideal (for me). Our plan is to use cash to put on our S&S and take our cc for an emergency only. Been setting aside money as we can. Everyone is different - what works for one may not for another. Budgeting is never a bad thing ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sailed 9/25 and I used my debit card. We spent less then $400 dollars (prepaid gratuties). It took about 5 days for my bank account to reflect the charges. The first day off, we had only been charged about $300 of the charges, however it was individual purchases so my bank account looked crazy. A few days later, I had the full ~$400 charged, but the individual charges =$300 was still sitting there pending. Finally the $300 was removed and I only had the one charge that was on my statement at the end of the cruise.

Like others on here, it was a seperate account I use to put money away for travel and other fun stuff so it was not an issue.

I've always gone on a debit card, and did this week too, never had a hold placed on my account. As I check my balance yesterday, there's a $302 hold. I had adequate amount in my account, but made an unexpected $250 certificate purchase on board, so went and paid the bill in cash to settle my mind down. On the last day I spent $60, so that's all that went on my card.

So now I have little available money in the account thanks to the hold. I don't know if it was that purchase that triggered the hold, or the cruiseline policy at boarding. It was not Carnival, my usual cruiseline.

Just sailed 9/25 and I used my debit card. We spent less then $400 dollars (prepaid gratuties). It took about 5 days for my bank account to reflect the charges. The first day off, we had only been charged about $300 of the charges, however it was individual purchases so my bank account looked crazy. A few days later, I had the full ~$400 charged, but the individual charges =$300 was still sitting there pending. Finally the $300 was removed and I only had the one charge that was on my statement at the end of the cruise.

Like others on here, it was a seperate account I use to put money away for travel and other fun stuff so it was not an issue.

I've heard this happens a lot, that was the reason for the original post. I was worried about the temporary hold or odd charges on my card. I will be doing the same as you and have a back up account. I will also be using cash to clear my balances as often as I can. Thanks for the good ideas everyone.

Get to the ship as early as possible...so you can be in the first group to board. Proceed directly to the Customer Service Desk and put down cash on your S&S card. There won't be hardly any lines at this time if you get on early. You can stop by and check your balance on older ships or use the tv on newer ships or just keep up with your receipts. Easiest to go add cash early in the morning or at off peak times.

The last night, go settle up at the Customer Service Desk. If you have a negative balance then you pay up. If you have a positive balance they give you cash....or you can wait and fight the crowd at debarkation day to close your account.

By using cash you don't have to worry about debit card holds and etc....it was just so easy.

• 3 months later...

I ended up putting the cruise on a credit card with a $300 limit. I had $100 credit before I boarded, and brought cash. The kiosk make it so easy to maintain your balance. When my balance got low I would add a couple hundred to the account. I had a total of $67 charged to my credit card at the end of the trip. So if any one is worried about going over on their credit card just bring plenty of cash and use the kiosk.

I have heard a few bad things on using a debit card for the sign and sail card. My credit card has a $300 limit on it and I would rather not be shut down if it gets maxed out.

What happens if you go over the limit on your cruise? I have heard of some outrageous bills at the end of the cruise, do people end up making payment plans or what happens? We plan on paying most every thing up front to keep our bill lower. Just wondering how final billing works, thanks.

My advice to you is to buy Carnival bucks before you cruise.

When my wife and I take cruises I really don't want to worry about what I spend so I usually a few months prior buy $200 bucks in Carnival $$$ and put it on my account when I get on the ship....

Are last 7 night cruise I brought on $500 in CC bucks and had a credit right from day 1......

Yes some of the Bills can get expensive no doubt......

I am not sure if this helps but I can say fro personal experience that they will cut you off if you hit a C/C limit, on our cruise in 05 I think, we had a Carnival MC that had a $3000 limit and I made sure to pay it off before I went thinking we would have it and just pay it off later, well I did not realize they only did like $300 for advances witch is what the S&S card was ran as I guess, we ordered some drinks on the 2nd day in the theater and the waiter came back and said we were out of $$ and had to go to clear it up before we could buy anything else. I explained the limit and stuff and that it was a Carnival card even to no avail, they did say I could call and talk to the C/C company for 3.99 a minute or wait till we ported and call then. I always plan for worst case situations and had 1500 in cash so we just switched it over to a cash account but it was embarrassing to say the least.

The cash seems to be the best option. I had heard of card accounts being pinged every transaction, and that will lock your account. I just brought a lot of cash and fed it to the kiosk any time my credit got low. I kept it in good standing till the last night when I had to run to buy a extra bag to haul my bottles of rum off the ship:D.

Archived