Nassau Diving in Oct - Wetsuit Needed?

Colorado Kat

I'm not sure if I want to scuba or snorkle in Nassau in late Oct. Is the water so cold you need a wetsuit?

I saw that for the shark dive thru Stuart Cove, you need a wetsuit or diveskin. Or is that just to protect your skin if a shark swims alongside you?

Thanks!

It won`t be the type of cold water you get in the north that`s for sure. It will just be colder for Nassau than summer. Water temps will be in the upper 70`s most likely in late October low 80`s early in the month. For me that means a 2/3m wet suite.

It obviously depends on a lot of factors like how deep you're diving, how easily you get cold, what you'd see on the dive vs. snorkeling, and what the weather is like that week. However, I used to run a liveaboard dive boat in the Bahamas, and by the end of October, most people were wearing wetsuits.

Personally, I always hated wearing wetsuits, so I would usually skip it and just get out early if I got cold. (I had that luxury being on the boat constantly). If you're just going snorkeling, you probably don't need one (unless you get cold very easily). Nassau wasn't really on our itinerary, so can't comment much on the dive sites.

I have no idea why Stuart Cove would require you to wear a suit. We did shark dives all the time and people only wore suits if they thought they'd be cold.

Shark dives are pretty exciting if you've never done one, but aside from that, I'd probably vote for snorkeling with no suit.

I saw that for the shark dive thru Stuart Cove, you need a wetsuit or diveskin. Or is that just to protect your skin if a shark swims alongside you? Sorry forgot to answer this one. Yes you are correct only required for the Shark dive. Which I highly recommend. They have rentals there for about $10 if needed.

• 3 weeks later...
We did shark dives all the time and people only wore suits if they thought they'd be cold.

Shark dives are pretty exciting if you've never done one, but aside from that, I'd probably vote for snorkeling with no suit.

I've come across sharks 6-7 times while diving, and in the Sea of Cortez I was lucky enough to dive with a school of Hammerheads.

I usually prefer shallower dives, with lots of pretty corals, and fish. I typically take a camera with me, but will be skipping a camera this time.

Should I go ahead and book the shark dive? Or stick with wall & reef/wreck dive? (I'll be diving with Stuart's Cove in Nassau). Thanks!

The shark dive is really a shark feeding dive. Very cool if you want to see shark feeding up close while not being on the menu. If you are ever going to try a shark dive I do recommend this as the place. They really have it down pat. As safe as any shark dive could possibly be.

Archived