Disney and a wonderful DREAM - Our Family Vacation 8/17 - 8/27

Catrin

It was time for elegant night #2, which my DD decided she wanted to go! Phew!

While the main dining room was not empty, it was certainly less crowded than previous nights. Looks like people just do not want to get dressed up anymore!

2029119510046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

One of our favorite dishes throughout the years has been the Escargot. They served it this night and we loved it. I tried something new for dinner, the Basa Filet ... and it was amazing. The best dish I had all week. That night, our Maitre D came by and we talked to him about the changes in the menu. We told him that we missed items like Fried Mozzerela, Lobster Bisque (which is my DS2's all time favorite), and Shrimp Cocktail. He was very pleasant to talk to, but we could tell he was being very politically correct on his answers to us.

Because DS2 came to dinner with us every night, he formed a special bond with our server, Ayu. He even danced with her this night!

2866614270046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

After dinner, DH and I were both in a melancholy mood. We really did not feel like doing much, so we went for a walk around the top decks of the ship before bringing DD to Camp. The water was like GLASS. I had never seen smoother seas than this evening. The skies were colorful and full of different shaped clouds.

This time of day was perfect to take pictures as well.. the lighting was just right.

2769551260046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

2248183760046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

2026538930046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

We dropped DD off at Camp Carnival again. I cannot tell you how much she LOVED going every night. Our rule with our kids is they can always go, but they will never be forced to go. Going each night was something she looked forward to! Our plan was to have her go until the 10pm pick up time.

We decided just to walk around this night. We ended up going to the front of the ship and finding the no-so secret doors on Deck 10. We ended up spending over an hour here, just staring at the Caribbean sea in silence. Realizing that our vacation was about to end soon, and reflecting on the week and everything else we had going on in our crazy lives.

2063432000046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

2163796660046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

2883977370046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

Looking back, I realize we missed a lot of the goings on this cruise. Some of it was due to the fact we had a 6 year old with us. Some of it was due to the fact that DH and I had to have some quiet alone nights.. even doing nothing. But I realize now, that just because we didn't do much, did not mean this was a valuable vacation. I used to think in order to get the most out of the cruise, you had to GO GO GO! Now, I realize .... there are no wrong answers. Doing everything, doing nothing.... it is all good as long as you can relax and enjoy the time you have away from home.

We picked up DD right at 10, and got our nightly Ice Cream cone on the way back to our cabin. Waiting for us, was a long lost friend...

2401528710046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

I will be back tomorrow.. with the last day at sea, our horrible last night, and... yes.. a Hurricane!

Catrin

Great review, and cuddos to you and your hubby for your wonderful family. It says a lot of your parenting skills that your boys respect your rules and the trust works both ways.....your daughter is just adorable!

Looking forward to reading more of your review!

Susan

Great review, and cuddos to you and your hubby for your wonderful family. It says a lot of your parenting skills that your boys respect your rules and the trust works both ways.....your daughter is just adorable!

Looking forward to reading more of your review!

Susan

Thanks for the kind words. I cannot say that this vacation with the boys was perfect. Our oldest did not want to spend a lot of time with us, which bothered me a bit. I guess it is all about letting go. And, when he was with us, I wish he would go back with his friends! :p

We had a rule that he could not go to anyone's cabin.. but when we returned I saw some pictures of him on facebook with his new friends in their cabin... so... well, lets just say that I was not really happy, but nothing I could do about it after the fact. Overall, they have learned what NOT to do on the Cruise Ships. As long as they are respectful of others, respectful of the crew, and let us know what they are doing... I am ok with that.

I just wrote the entire write up of our last day.... and .... well, Cruise Critic Froze! UGGG!!!!

I will try to do it again tomorrow.... you won't want to miss the DRAMA!!

Thanks all for hanging in there on our very long adventure... this report took a lot longer than I wanted.... and was a lot longer than I anticipated.... but life certainly gets in the way!

Catrin

I am going on the Dream in March and I'm doing something similar with the Disney trip, but we are doing it after the cruise. I was reading your review (which is fantastic) and I was wondering how you did the Budget rental. Is there a car drop off at the cruise terminal? Is this something you have to set up over the phone as oppose to online?

We used Budget pre and post cruise in 2007 to get from MCO to PC and back. Their office in PC is less than a mile from the cruiseport. They have a free shuttle to bring you to the ship, and to pick you up when you debark.

It was very handy. HTH

IIRC I set everything up on-line

What a great review. It looks like you guys had a great time. I cant wait for 3 and a half week until I can see the Dream for myself. Im beyond excited. I love hearing about all the details. You guys look like a beautiful family. I also have a teenager (16) and he also would rather hang with his newly made friends than us but we had a rule that we would always eat dinner together and to know where he was at all times.

I am going on the Dream in March and I'm doing something similar with the Disney trip, but we are doing it after the cruise. I was reading your review (which is fantastic) and I was wondering how you did the Budget rental. Is there a car drop off at the cruise terminal? Is this something you have to set up over the phone as oppose to online?

We did it all online.

When booking, you put in your pick up and drop off location. The Budget Rental agency is near the cruise port and they provide a free shuttle between the agency and the port. The Budget Agency at Disney is at the Doubletree Hotel in Downtown Disney. They also provide transportation to any Disney hotel if you need to be dropped off there.

I got a Discount Code from Mousesavers.com - it was only $48.00 to rent the car for the day!

Good Luck!

Catrin

What a great review. It looks like you guys had a great time. I cant wait for 3 and a half week until I can see the Dream for myself. Im beyond excited. I love hearing about all the details. You guys look like a beautiful family. I also have a teenager (16) and he also would rather hang with his newly made friends than us but we had a rule that we would always eat dinner together and to know where he was at all times.

That was always our rule... Dinner every night. But this cruise, we gave in on three nights... the two formal dinners and the last night. Looking back I wish I stuck to my guns on one of the Formal nights, only because I would have liked to get a few pictures of the entire family.

Thanks for reading!

Catrin

We did it all online.

When booking, you put in your pick up and drop off location. The Budget Rental agency is near the cruise port and they provide a free shuttle between the agency and the port. The Budget Agency at Disney is at the Doubletree Hotel in Downtown Disney. They also provide transportation to any Disney hotel if you need to be dropped off there.

I got a Discount Code from Mousesavers.com - it was only $48.00 to rent the car for the day!

Good Luck!

Catrin

Awesome! Thank you!

We used Budget pre and post cruise in 2007 to get from MCO to PC and back. Their office in PC is less than a mile from the cruiseport. They have a free shuttle to bring you to the ship, and to pick you up when you debark.

It was very handy. HTH

IIRC I set everything up on-line

Thank you :)

I think that is how we are going to do it. Get one from MCO and drop off in PC and then pick up in PC and return to MCO after a few days with Mickey.:D

I'm going to look up their PC office now.

Been a long day at work and home.. I will be back tomorrow to re-write my last day....

A day later and I am still mad I wrote the whole thing then CC froze! (lesson be learned, write it on MS Word first!).

A couple random thoughts...

The Gym... I went early morning on both sea days, before breakfast. I used the Elliptical and weight machines. Never over crowded and ... it may sound silly but i liked how you did not really look out into the open waters. I tried that once before and the ships movement with the combo of the elliptical made me seasick!

Shopping - I avoided the usual gimmicks. No Inch of Gold-Plated Metal, No Silver, No huge rings. I did buy a $10.00 watch however. I actually think they are a good bargain!

Atrium - we liked how this became quite an entertainment center. The stage set up on the staircase was a great idea.

Internet - this was the first cruise in many that I did not buy an internet package. Did I really need to check on Facebook everyday? No. It made me escape from work and reality more, and saved me some serious cash! But that being said, we liked there were several stations throughout the ship for emails, etc.

Sushi, Coffee Shop, and goings on the Promenade Deck.... never tried it.

Photographers - very little lines, even on Formal Nights. Backdrops set up on decks four and five... many to choose from and something for all. The usual dinner pics, pirate pics, dancer pics and port pictures. I wish I got a family picture however.. but we did get a few shots at the ports, will post them soon.

will be back tomorrow!

Catrin

Hi!

I am so sorry to keep you all hanging!

Work and family life.. Kids School open houses, appointments and 14 hour work days have gotten the best of me the last three days!:mad:

I promise I will finish this TOMORROW night.

PROMISE!! :o

Thanks all for being so patient,

Catrin

Oh please do! We are leaving Saturday morning for 2 days in Savannah, then on to Jacksonville to board the Fascination. You have me hanging! We're a family of 5 as well with a 13, 10 and 3 year old so I understand being pulled in so many different directions and just needing to relax and do nothing. Love your review but you have me hanging here! :D

The plan.. (yes, always a plan..)... DD2 was going to walk very quickly... (notice I didn't say RUN!) to Space Mountain to get five Fast Passes. He was then to meet us at Buzz Lightyear, where we would all go. This worked out perfectly!

We rode Buzz twice with no lines... and then met Stitch again!! Then.. it was almost time for Space Mountain. After the Tower of Terror incident yesterday, we were a bit nervous how DD would be... but she was excited to go! When we approached Space Mountain, we had 20 minutes to our Fast Pass time and the wait was 20 minutes, so we decided to wait in line, then use our FP for a second ride! Well.... wouldn't you know... our DD...... Freaked.... wait.. thats wrong... she LOVED IT!! Space Mountain .. to this day, is my favorite ride in all of Disney, and I was so excited to finally ride with my three kids and husband. Those two rides on Space Mountain were my favorite part of the entire vacation. Pure Disney Happiness!!

So glad to hear that your DD loved Space mountain. My DS loves it too but my DD has always been too short yet. We have been to Disney 2 times in the past 18 months so I truly share your love for all things mouse. (stayed Ft. Wilderness once and then split stay at Old Key West/Animal Kingdom Lodge)

Great review!!! Thanks for sharing! Makes me want to book my next WDW trip followed by a cruise on the Dream!

BTW, while my DS loves Space Mt., me...not so much. During our last trip I drew the short straw and rode with my DS while DH and DD headed to Buzz- right after we had finished dinner over at 1900 Park Faire (with the wicked stepsisters!!). Well, lets just say that a big buffet dinner does not sit well when riding a roller coaster in the dark and heat...uggg! :o So- no more Space mt. for me in the future.

Archived