Disney and a wonderful DREAM - Our Family Vacation 8/17 - 8/27

Catrin

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us! My family of 5 will be on the Legend in a few weeks and we are planning a lot of the same things that you guys did. It was interesting to hear about your dd's experience with the cave tubing. Our youngest is 7 and I think she would be extremely upset if she was not able to have her own tube. I wonder what their height cut-off is? Maybe if I e-mail .bz they will be able to tell me.

I was glad to hear that everyone made it home safe and sound and your laundry was returned!! It sounds like you had a great trip despite a few bumps and unexpected events.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us! My family of 5 will be on the Legend in a few weeks and we are planning a lot of the same things that you guys did. It was interesting to hear about your dd's experience with the cave tubing. Our youngest is 7 and I think she would be extremely upset if she was not able to have her own tube. I wonder what their height cut-off is? Maybe if I e-mail .bz they will be able to tell me.

I was glad to hear that everyone made it home safe and sound and your laundry was returned!! It sounds like you had a great trip despite a few bumps and unexpected events.

Yes, I was disappointed, and she was really upset.... and became a whining brat, which was the hard part. But I think for her size it was really the right thing to do. I emailed .BZ, too and was told they have tubes for young kids... but this was not the case when we arrived. When we arrived at the site, it was pretty matter of fact... "Princess, you sit on your Daddy's Lap".. end of story.

Hope you have a good time!

Catrin

Catrin, what a great review!!! I just spent 90 mins reading through it and enjoyed every part of it. I was reading the ending in suspense.... half my finger nails are gone!!! haha I just told my hubby your story too. WOW!!

I'm glad you all got home safely though, and that in the end everything turned out for you. Looks like you had a great vacation, I enjoyed viewing all your photos. We were on the Dream back in February and miss it terribly. LOL We tried doing one day at Disney before the cruise but sickness got in the way and we ended up spending our time in the hotel room instead. BUT, we had an amazing tax return and ended up surprising the kids with a week in Disney in June. We LOVED our week there!

With taking two vacations this year, we'll be waiting a while before we go again. Now I have everyones reviews to get me by until the next time. haha

Thanks for writing such a great review! My hubby can't wait to read it himself. :)

P.S. You have a beautiful family! Your kids are adorable.

We are thinking of this ship in January for an eastern cruise, I have not sailed Carnival before, I was a little worried, have sailed princess many times, but after spending over an hour reading each post I feel much better. We did the cave tubing on our princess cruise, I even jumped off that huge mountain (it felt like it was a mountain) Me 53 at the time. Thanks for taking the time and writing such a long and great review :)

We are thinking of this ship in January for an eastern cruise, I have not sailed Carnival before, I was a little worried, have sailed princess many times, but after spending over an hour reading each post I feel much better. We did the cave tubing on our princess cruise, I even jumped off that huge mountain (it felt like it was a mountain) Me 53 at the time. Thanks for taking the time and writing such a long and great review :)

I'm glad you felt it was time well spent!!

Thank you ALL for the nice comments. I have learned so much here - just passing it along!

We are getting ready to book our 20th anniversary cruise - without the kids!!

Catrin

Wow! I cruise the Dream in 3 weeks with DH and I found this review through the OP asking for links to reviews - otherwise I don't think I would have seen it! It was a great read - thanks so much! Things I know I'm looking forward to - burrito bar, pasta bar on the first day. Did you by chance hit the Lanai for any BBQ?

Wow! I cruise the Dream in 3 weeks with DH and I found this review through the OP asking for links to reviews - otherwise I don't think I would have seen it! It was a great read - thanks so much! Things I know I'm looking forward to - burrito bar, pasta bar on the first day. Did you by chance hit the Lanai for any BBQ?

We had every intention of going there for lunch one day .... But it was at that moment that our little one decided she didn't want to wait in the lines and had a hissy fit. Not a great family moment!!! We settled for a hot dog from the Lido deck and a Nap instead!!

The line was very long... But the food looked great.

Thanks for reading!

Catrin

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME review! I have enjoyed reading every bit of it. I'm still laughing at the 2014 comment to your son. LOL It's a shame you had to deal with so much drama with your luggage and flights at the end of your vacation, but I'm glad everything worked for you. Thanks for posting!

Wow! What a great review! Our first two cruises were on Disney. Definitely my favorite but we really enjoyed our cruise on Carnival last month and have another booked. After reading this, may have to look into the Dream.

I am glad it all worked out but I can not imagine the panic with the flights. I had a panic attack when we had a flight from Germany to Italy and was told we could not sit together. :eek: You are a strong lady!

Really enjoyed your review. Your family is beautiful!

I really enjoyed your review & pictures. My DD enjoyed them too. My parents are taking her to Disney in February for her 9th Birthday, her choice, and then we have our family cruise in August on the Magic. So, she was excited to see the pictures & your DD enjoying her vacation.

Back to the Magical Express. Disney offers this service for FREE if you are staying at a Disney resort. We booked the Port Orleans Riverside for a few reasons.. 1) They have rooms that sleep 5 2) The cost - I had a PIN Code and got a rate of $111 per night for three nights... which is excellent. 3) Free Transportation

They show a 20 minute Disney World Pre-view movie, which the kids loved.. it also made the ride fly by. Before we knew it..we were at Port Orleans.

2390789500046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

2330889860046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

2037086030046657171S425x425Q85.jpg

By the time we arrived at Port Orleans, it was almost 10Pm... a bit later than I anticipated, but not the end of the world. Although we were only in Disney a few days, I still purchased a re-fillable mug at the Food Court... well worth it! Our room was AS FAR AWAY from the Center of Action as possible! But.. no worries, this quick trip was to have fun at the parks. We knew we were not going to be able to take advantage of all the resort had to offer. We walked to our room... quite a long walk at night.. but the surroundings are lovely....

Then...

OH WHY Did we use the Luggage Service on Magical Express???

Part of the Magical Express Service.. is that they take the luggage right off the plane, and deliver it to your room. I honestly was NOT thinking right... when they said it usually takes two hours from the time your plane lands to get the luggage. That would mean 10:30 PM.... late .. but not too bad.

So... 10:30 came... 11:00PM came.... we are tired, we are a bit cranky... we want to wake up bright and early to go to the parks.... 11:30..... (call to Guest Services...).... midnight.. no luggage!

FINALLY arrived at 12:15. DH was a trooper.. he had been up since early in the AM, but stayed awake.. while the rest of us fell asleep.

BTW>> that room for five? We knew the room had a trundle bed. But.. for those ever considering that option.... it was awful... like sleeping on the floor. Once the kids saw it... well, lets just say it was a very tough sell! We were glad we were only there for two nights!!

6am came pretty quick.. but being the Disney nut I am.. I was up and HAPPY!! The rest of the family?? Umm... it took a little prodding, but we actually got up and dressed and to the parks for opening!

The one thing I did, was plan ahead for that morning's breakfast. I brought cereal cups for each kid and walked to the food court for milk early that morning. Worked out perfectly.

Coming up next.. our day in Disney's Hollywood Studios.. and RAIN!!

We love Port Orleans Riverside. It's our second favorite WDW resort (after the Wilderness Lodge!!! ). I can see it being a bit of a challenge for 5 people in one of those rooms, 4 is the most we've ever had.

We decided to stop somewhere we have never been before.... Waffle House! Great place for a basic breakfast and yes.... terrific waffles!

WOW!! Never been to a Waffle House before? :eek: My DD and I are "frequent flyers" at WH. It's among her favorite places to eat!!

Just teasing..... :D

Great, great review. It's a shame your last nite was filled with drama. I wondered what it was like for those getting off of cruise ships and attempting to get home during Irene. You are definitely a trooper, and it's good your boys are mature and responsible. They are all adorable, by the way. I hope your next trip is drama free. We sail on the Dream over Thanksgiving and I was wondering about the Platinum benefits. I didn't know you could get into your staterooms early. Was the door shut to the hallway? I've never even tried it. Happy cruising and again, I thoroughly enjoyed your review!!!

WOW!! Never been to a Waffle House before? :eek: My DD and I are "frequent flyers" at WH. It's among her favorite places to eat!!

Just teasing..... :D

Ha ha!

Believe it or not, we had NEVER!

We have only seen them in our trips to Florida, they do not exist in New England!

When I walked in and said to the waitress, "we have never been here before".. she looked at me like I had three heads!

Thanks for reading.. glad you enjoyed!

Catrin

Great, great review. It's a shame your last nite was filled with drama. I wondered what it was like for those getting off of cruise ships and attempting to get home during Irene. You are definitely a trooper, and it's good your boys are mature and responsible. They are all adorable, by the way. I hope your next trip is drama free. We sail on the Dream over Thanksgiving and I was wondering about the Platinum benefits. I didn't know you could get into your staterooms early. Was the door shut to the hallway? I've never even tried it. Happy cruising and again, I thoroughly enjoyed your review!!!

Yes, the door was shut. We opened it and walked to our room, where we found our room steward and double checked with him. When we were greeted with a welcome and a smile, I knew it was ok. He said they are told to prepare the Platinum rooms first... so our room was 100% ready! I would have never done it, if I did not stop by guest services first and ask... we had heard from others, but was actually quite surprised and excited when they said "sure, that is fine! just show them your card if you are questioned". Worked out great!

Thanks for reading!

Catrin

• 2 months later...

Wow Awesome review. I will be on the Dream in 9 days YAY!!! You reminded me that I can't find my or DH's water shoes (Many ppl from my CC roll call are cave tubing with a private tour as well). I am hoping I can find some nice ones tomorrow but if not I will hopefully be able to rush some from Zappos :eek:!

Again awesome review!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a good vacation besides the ending drama! That is CRAZY!!! I am planning a Carnival cruise. Stuck between EC and WC. with Liberty to the WC and Glory and Dream to EC.

The cruise part looked like fun! Dream looks like a good ship too! +1 for Dream and WC.

Yes, the door was shut. We opened it and walked to our room, where we found our room steward and double checked with him. When we were greeted with a welcome and a smile, I knew it was ok. He said they are told to prepare the Platinum rooms first... so our room was 100% ready! I would have never done it, if I did not stop by guest services first and ask... we had heard from others, but was actually quite surprised and excited when they said "sure, that is fine! just show them your card if you are questioned". Worked out great!

Thanks for reading!

Catrin

Hi Catrin, great review! Do you have a review for your Glory cruise by any chance? Taking a cruise in June, been years since I have been on Carnival, can't wait!!

thanks

Hi Catrin, great review! Do you have a review for your Glory cruise by any chance? Taking a cruise in June, been years since I have been on Carnival, can't wait!!

thanks

Wow.. this review showed up out of nowhere!!! Funny how things get buried for months then end up on the front page again....

Anyway, KMP, to answer your question, No, I never did a review of the Glory Cruise from NYC to Canada.

What I can recall, however...

• The ship was terrific, we loved the decor and layout. Identical Layout to the Victory, Liberty and Triumph.
  • The NYC City crowd is different than the Caribbean crowd, in my opinion. Tons of large families that hang out at the Lido Deck tables all day.
  • The FOG!! Somedays, the fog lasted all day, with the Fog Horn going off every minute. Made a relaxing afternoon on the Lido reading no so relaxing.
  • St. John and Halifax, two great ports. Friendliest people anywhere. We did not take an excursion. We walked the boardwalk in Halifax, very enjoyable.
  • I did get sick for two days this cruise, very bad migranes. So, I did stay in my room for almost 24 hours. Dining room service, however, was excellent.

If there is anything else you would like to know, please let me know! I have pictures as well, but never posted those to Webshots. Hmmm.... I have no idea why!

Catrin

• 2 months later...

Archived