Hair Help

Bostoncruiser35

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

For those who are not new to cruising, you know the hard water and sea air can reak haavoc on your hair. Mine was straw when I went because I brought a shampoo conditioner combo, oh boy was that a mistake. Anyway, I am planning to do my vow renewal on my next cruise and am toying with having a Kertin treatment done on my hair. It lacks shine and would really ike my hair to be a perfect as possible for this day. Has anyone had this done before a cruise? Any advice?

Details:

My hair is color treated, wavy and can get very frizzy, semi damaged from dying and heat styling. Medium ( as in not thick or thin) and a mix of oily( at scalp) and dry ( at ends).

The ship's water is NOT hard...it's extremely soft...no minerals! A tad of shampoo will lather and lather...rinse well!

On a ship, there is ALWAYS humidity..can't help that at sea!

Try to find a conditioner that smoothes hair....use it on the ends, more than on the scalp, if you have an oily scalp!

Make sure, if you decide to have this process done that you go to a reputable person. And... talk with them at length about the chemicals already in your hair and be realistic about what damage is already done to your hair.

I've been out if the hair business for years, but I know you should not have 2 chemical treatments, or hair can start becoming very damaged.

My problem with my hair on a ship is the water is too soft, I can't do a thing with my already too soft hair. So I don't use conditioner, or very little. You may have better luck if you take what you use at home instead of trying to save the space of one more 3 oz. size bottle. I have no idea why there are shampoo/conditioner combinations, the products do 2 separate jobs.

My final thoughts are that, speaking as a former professional hair stylist, a good haircut is the ultimate best hair conditioner.

I agree that the water is super soft ... salt is a water softener after all!

Like happyks, I have a hard time getting my hair to hold during a cruise ... so I tend to take a lot of product with me.

I take my usual shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, root lifter, etc. --- just in little bottles. As I have my hair highlighted, I do take hair sunscreen so I don't get too bleached.

My one tip is to bring what you need. I once forgot root lifter and paid about $27 for a bottle at the duty free!

I did an at home keratin treatment...it was the zelo care and I was not impressed. I don't think it did any more damage to my hair which is color treated and I've been greying since my teens so I have a lot of coarse wiry hairs. I also have wavy hair that I prefer to wear straight. I think I'd still be willing to try a salon treatment if I knew someone who had it done that I could really see the before and after and touch their hair.

I'm always looking for the holy grail of hair products. The latest and greatest for me for smoothing and shine is argan oil. I've also used coconut oil with a similar outcome. I like the argan especially because it doesn't weigh my hair down and it doesn't look greasy. I think my hair condition has improved a little with use too which is more than I can say for almost every other product I've tried.

Also, the sulfate free shampoos help a lot if you can get used to dealing with the low lather.

I agree with what everyone else has said but wanted to add my two cents.

I love getting a keratin treatment but I would discourage you to do it for the cruise. The salt water or chlorine water will accelerate the rate of how long that treatment stays in your hair. The more your hair is exposed to these elements the shorter the treatment will stay in your hair.

Bain de Terre makes a spray that adds shine to your hair. It is called Passion Flower Color Preserving Shine Spray, and is available retail. They also have Recovery Complex Shine Serum...we used to use this in the shop, but I see they changed the packaging and it is also available retail. If you google them you can find them online also.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived