Tipping half for kids under 12 (in same cabin)?

cawhite

Now it's really bugging me about the Camp Carnival Staff not being included in the "automatic" tip structure. Does anyone know if they are under a different salary structure? Maybe they get more per hour, for example, since they're not in the automatic tipping?

Yes, they are salaried so tipping is up to you. Some people tip them, some don't. There's no right or wrong here.

Yes, they are salaried so tipping is up to you. Some people tip them, some don't. There's no right or wrong here.

On the Victory, the cruise director made a point of saying the camp counselors should be tipped at the debarkation talk. Made a big point of it, actually. I did tip the last night, but I do understand they are paid a salary which is more than the stewards and dining staff.

My son-in-law asked someone at the Purser's desk on the Paradise about what he should tip the Camp Carnival workers. They suggested that he eliminate his auto charged tip for his son and give it to them. So, that is what he did. Since I did not really agree with that (but kept my mouth shut), I gave an extra tip to the dining staff for their excellent care for my grandson during the meals. Since we were always having to ask the cabin steward for ice, extra towels, etc., he just got left out.

Oh, OK... thanks for the info. I guess I'll wait and see how much time my kids spend at Camp Carnival, then tip accordingly.

Thank goodness I have all of you experts to ask these questions, ahead of time!!

On the Victory, the cruise director made a point of saying the camp counselors should be tipped at the debarkation talk. Made a big point of it, actually. I did tip the last night, but I do understand they are paid a salary which is more than the stewards and dining staff.

They will encourage tips at the debarkation talk for the counselors as well as the maitre'd. It's like the port talks, where they encourage you to shop at the "Carnival approved" shops. But, again, they are salaried so do what you want. As an experienced cruiser, I've stopped going to the "talks". You can find out all you need reading the daily capers. Although I do enjoy the shore excursion presentation because of the slide show.:)

When we cruised Disney last fall, the talk on the DisBoards was about tipping favorite Oceaneers Lab counselors in gift cards - phone cards that could be used internationally or Walmart (there was one near the port). We ended up tipping w/Walmart gift cards.

Cash or gift cards, I think the kids club counselors deserve some type of tip - and not one taken away from someone else. Shame on the people at the Purser's Desk for suggesting that.

Jeanne

Scrapcreator,

Gosh, I never thought of gift cards for the Camp Staff... that's a good idea too! I'll have to think about that one, although with cold hard cash they will be able to buy anything, anywhere.

VentureMan,

That was not the intention at all (at least from me, the original poster). I was just curious if that was all that would be charged to my S&S account for my under 12 y.o., based on the article I read (someone did confirm that they did that on NCL). I was thinking, if they were to charge 1/2, how pleasantly suprised they would be when I doubled it. Also, anyone that keeps my 10 y.o. happy for the length of the trip deserves gold!!

The dining room staff are the same people that work on the Lido deck... FYI...

I've always said the same thing.....However this brings to mind a question I have....

They can't be the same people.......the dining room waitstaff usually works 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches & 2 dinner seatings.

I have wondered how they pay the lido deck staff, compared to the dining room staff.

Since the tips are for the Dining Room Wait staff.

Guess the Lido deck staff must recieve some sort of salary.

They switch shifts. I always see my dining staff working the buffet in the morning, from what I understand, the assistant waiters work the morning and lunch buffets the most... but they all move around. They are all taken care of... I have not seen my head waiters working the buffets... then again, the guys working the buffet don't do nearly the work as the ones in the dining room... I'm sure they have the tips worked out to make sure everyone is taken care of...

In the original post on this thread the question of whether Carnival recommend half for children under 12 came up and I must admit I was a bit surprised when I was charged an extra £200 (added to my TA invoice in November 04 for my cruise in May 05) on top of the cruise price for "tips" - that was nearly $400 for a 1 week cruise. So they definitely don't expect half tips for 3 and 5 year olds!!!! I am a little saddened that the camp staff won't get any of it and I do plan to give them a tip at the end of the week as they will have worked the hardest for me. I don't plan to have my kids eat in the main dining room at all for the week. $500 total in tips is almost the price of another cruise - makes you think, doesn't it?

They will encourage tips at the debarkation talk for the counselors as well as the maitre'd. It's like the port talks, where they encourage you to shop at the "Carnival approved" shops. But, again, they are salaried so do what you want. As an experienced cruiser, I've stopped going to the "talks". You can find out all you need reading the daily capers. Although I do enjoy the shore excursion presentation because of the slide show.:)

My husband and I went to all the talks on our first cruise. This time around we went to none. Like you said, we had figured out the first time they were pushing us towards certain stores. This time I heard the debarkation talk on the television while I was packing. Anyway, I was happy to tip the counselors, especially the teen counselor since my son and his group of friends spent so much time with her (believe it or not, a 15-yr-old boy enjoying camp that much). I would have tipped whether or not the director told me to or not ;) We tipped the maitre'd too since he had moved us from late to early seating, which we had requested at booking and had not gotten.

They switch shifts. I always see my dining staff working the buffet in the morning, from what I understand, the assistant waiters work the morning and lunch buffets the most... but they all move around. They are all taken care of... I have not seen my head waiters working the buffets... then again, the guys working the buffet don't do nearly the work as the ones in the dining room... I'm sure they have the tips worked out to make sure everyone is taken care of...

Yep, our assistant waiter at dinner every night was right there at breakfast every morning at the buffet. He seemed to find us no matter what time we ate or where we sat, just to come by and say hello, ask what we were planning for the day, etc. Plus clearing the table and all that other fun stuff. So they are definitely hard at work all day long in different areas.

Archived