WDW crowd question

mchelle77

We've been to WDW a few times (some during school vacations, sometimes not) and I can see a HUGE difference, obviously. Now that I've moved to NH from Boston, the week of April vacation for schools is different. In MA, it's the 3rd week but in NH it's the last week.

Question for those who've been to WDW the last week of April - how are the crowds? Average wait time for rides?

Our first time to WDW was February vacation and Magic Kingdom was closed at 930am because they were at capacity. We swore we'd never make that mistake again! :) Last time we went was the first week of November (2009) and it was awesome. I think 15 minutes was the longest we waited.

Our cruise is the last week of April (NH vacation week) and we're trying to decide if we should risk that $400 for the three of us to do a day at a WDW park.

It's generally pretty slow except on weekends--locals love going during that time frame. Keep in mind that the Epcot Flower and Garden Show is during that time frame, so especially on weekends it might be busy.

Otherwise, expect fairly short lines.

We've been to WDW a few times (some during school vacations, sometimes not) and I can see a HUGE difference, obviously. Now that I've moved to NH from Boston, the week of April vacation for schools is different. In MA, it's the 3rd week but in NH it's the last week.

Question for those who've been to WDW the last week of April - how are the crowds? Average wait time for rides?

Our first time to WDW was February vacation and Magic Kingdom was closed at 930am because they were at capacity. We swore we'd never make that mistake again! :) Last time we went was the first week of November (2009) and it was awesome. I think 15 minutes was the longest we waited.

Our cruise is the last week of April (NH vacation week) and we're trying to decide if we should risk that $400 for the three of us to do a day at a WDW park.

We used to go this week every year and there are lines but didn't feel they were too bad. With planning and using fast pass shouldn't be a problem. Never have we experienced the park closing due to crowds the week in question. example - hour wait for Space Mountain without fast pass

Many school systems time their breaks around Easter - either the week before or after. As long as you avoid those peak periods you should be fine.

There are several good WDW discussion boards you should check out for additional suggestions and insider info. Good luck! :)

I haven't gone in April since I usually try to avoid it since it does tend to get crowded supposedly.

I checked touringplans.com for you though and the highest average crowd level is a 6 out of 10.

I'm assuming you would only be going to Magic Kingdom for the day? Do you know what specific day this would be? According to touringplans the 23-27 is a good day to visit MK.

Not sure if this also helps, but if you make a donation to the Florida Hospital for Children you can get complimentary 1 day tickets to WDW. Helps a good cause and I think it's also a bit cheaper than the gate prices. Here's a link...

http://www.fhfoundation.com/Disney/165level/165level.htm

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone .. this info will also help for when we go again to JUST Disney ('14) As for the cruise, we'd be at PC on a Monday, I think?

JohninDC - I don't think MA and NH don't follow that. MA is always the third weekend and NH is always the last. Easter next year falls on April 8th, I believe (which would be the 2nd week).

umieesa - if I could use that I definitely would. Great idea! Unfortunately it says it expires this December. I'm not going until April.

mchelle77 they usually introduce them again in the new year you would just have to check back.

I wish I could go back after our cruise, but hubby would never agree to a 3+ hour drive from FLL...I think he'd kill me for even suggesting it :p

I always wonder how people do these long drives to WDW. I definitely could do it, but sometimes I think my hubby is worse than the kids. He HATES being in the car for long...just suggesting the Florida Keys was already out of the question :(

Enjoy your trip!

Depends on Easter. The weeks before and after Easter are the second most crowded time of the year at WDW. The only worse week is Christmas to New Years.

With Easter out of the picture, the last week of April should be fine. It won't be empty like your trip in November because there will be some spring breaks going on, but not too many. You will probably see some rides with a 60 minute wait at 2 or 3pm, but morning and evening will be better. Get there early, do the big rides first, use FastPass as much as possible, and you shouldn't have to spend much time waiting in lines.

Mchelle 77, this is the onofficial Disney website that we use. It has so much great information. I especially love that it lists all of the restaurants in each park and Disney hotel along with their menus. It really does make planning a lot easier. There are also some great reviews on there to read.

http://allears.net/index.html

Wishing you and your family a great time. :)

So for our cruise, that would work (Easter is April 8, I believe) but when we go back for a full trip, it wouldn't (since Easter is that first Sunday). Oh well .. I guess we'll have to go back during the Food & Wine Fest again that time! :)

But thanks, everyone .. I'm thinking that maybe it'll be a good investment after all to do WDW for our excursion. If we can all agree on which park ...

Archived