Balmoral held in Southampton

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it was to do with a faulty davit and falsified/incomplete time sheets or something. Having booked both my parents on the Balmoral early next year I am somewhat concerned that the coast guard could pick up faults, yet not the full time crew and officers. As for the staff allegedly overworking their hours, perhaps these two items are linked? I hope this was a one off, then again it only needs to happen once!

Rather sad really that the Captain allowed this to happen,

15150 - ISM Not as required Yes Yes

Certificate & Documentation - Documents 01308 - Records of rest False Yes No

Life saving appliances 11112 - Launching arrangements for survival craft Seized Yes No

Emergency Systems 04110 - Abandon ship drills Lack of training No No

Fire safety 07105 - Fire doors/openings in fire-resisting divisions Not as required No No

Emergency Systems 04110 - Abandon ship drills Lack of knowledge No No

Detention Details

Reason

Allowed to proceed to agreed repair yard

-

-

Date of Detention

Date of Release

27/09/2011

28/09/2011

2 Da

Type of Inspection

Place of Inspection

PSC - Expanded Inspection

Almeria

Date of first visit

Data of final visit

10/10/2011

10/10/2011

Nb. of Deficiencies

Nb. of Deficiencies ground for detention

Inspected Areas

Inspected Areas

Navigation bridge

:)

I have a job which is subject to inspection.

I can't comment on MCA inspectors, but if it is anything like my line of work we find many inspectors quit working in the real job to become inspectors because they can't cut it doing the real job!

It is always easy to criticise and find fault when one is divorced from run of the mill day to day operations.

Do not think I am being blasé about what has happened, but having done a few Fred cruises and seeing on each cruise the crew practice their lifeboat drill I am not concerned and such an inspection judgement would not influence my decision to sail with the company.

My experience teaches me to work on the basis that those that can do, those that can't - inspect! :)

I am sure many people in many different jobs which are subject to inspection will share my views!

ISS. Noticed that your booked on The Titanic mini-cruise aboard Balmoral 4/3/12.Let's hope for your sake that the Lifeboat issue doesn't resurface once again.The independent Inspection regime ( by Maritime&Coastguard Agency ) is there for a reason.It appears Fred. Olsen wants to sweep this under the carpet.No mention at all about the Inspection/Detention on their website.

What amazes me about Fred. Olsen is that they won't provide an explaination about this 20 hour detention but are quite happy to come onto Forum to volunteer information about their Wine List ! See posting from Ovccruiser ' Wine List ' dated 12th October 2011.Draw your own conclusions.

I don't know about the hidden parts of what they will admit or not admit, however I have friends on the Balmoral at the moment and all though they enjoy the vessel, it seems to be late in to ports quite frequently causing havoc with their booked tours... sounds like they are only limping along or simply can't get up to speed? Is this a frequent occurance?

• 3 weeks later...
ISS. Noticed that your booked on The Titanic mini-cruise aboard Balmoral 4/3/12.Let's hope for your sake that the Lifeboat issue doesn't resurface once again.The independent Inspection regime ( by Maritime&Coastguard Agency ) is there for a reason.It appears Fred. Olsen wants to sweep this under the carpet.No mention at all about the Inspection/Detention on their website.

Who do you think I would blame if my Titanic mini was spoilt by an MCA detention? MCA or Fred

I am a teacher - I dislike OFSTED probably just as much as seafarers dislike the MCA!

So yes MCA would get the blame!

Remember - those that can do - those that can't inspect and pass judgement on others! :-))

ISS

• 3 months later...

ISS

We are also on the Titanic mini cruise on 3rd April. This will be our 13th cruise, but the first on FO. We normally cruise with RCI/Celebrity. We live in Belfast, so will be flying to Southampton to sail to Belfast! A bit odd but this is a surprise for my husband who is taking early retirement on 1st April. He has no idea at all and I hope to keep it that way until we arrive at the pier.

Colleen

• 1 month later...

Parsman, I think there has been a degree of thread drift here.:) The original post referred to the Balmoral being stopped from sailing in September 2011. She had problems with lifeboat davits and crew work records. We had only just returned from a 2 week Baltic cruise on her. I'm glad we didn't have any problems whilst we were on board.

Brian

Archived