Is a guide necessary for Herculaneum?

Kelmn07

In answer to the original poster's question-

On our visit to Herculaneum in June 2011 it cost 11 Euro each for an adult to enter the site. We were given a free fold out map and a small booklet called a Brief Guide to Herculaneum.The map was in colour and showed a sort of 3D drawing of the site with each area numbered.The booklet had a colour photo and number of each area with an explanation of what you were looking at. The numbers at each exhibit were on a small piece of slate and were quite unobtrusive and therefore at times were not always obvious. We found this information was enough for our needs as we have done a guided tour of Pompeii in the past.There were handheld audio devices available to rent but I don't remember how much exactly but I think somewhere in the region of 6 or 7 Euro. There were no obvious Guides that we saw looking to be hired but we arrived at the site early on a Sunday morning (thankfully just ahead of the ships organised tour groups.) It took us just about 2 hours to do our DIY tour and I'm sure we saw everything.

Have a daytrip from Rome to both sites with guides for each booked thru RomeinLimo and the photos and posts on this thread are getting me revved up for our visit. Plus we want to add a pizza stop for lunch- suggestions?

Tasso is the name of the pizza place. We really enjoyed our lunch there.

Entry fee was 11 euros, they don't take cards and they didn't have change so we had to wait a while for change.

Once paid, we were asked by some people inside who were sitting on seats if we wanted a guide, it was 10 euros each, there were 4 of us on the tour. The guide told us that they are the licensed guides for the site. I suppose it depends how busy they are, but we have always found it to be very quiet at Herculaneum, most people preferring Pompeii.

I agree with a previous poster , on the walk down to the site from the train station, we were spoilt for choice with lots of little shops selling pizza and drinks at un-believably low prices. A big water 60cents.

There is a market on the right as you walk down and if you are lucky enough to be there on market day, pay a visit in the morning as it closed down at lunchtime.

Going in a few weeks and this info has been really helpful. Didn't someone recently post a way to get there on the bus from Naples which seemed a lot easier than the train? Or am I thinking of Pompeii? If anyone knows, please refresh my failing memory!

Thanks, Cathy

Cathy, that would have been me. We were just there at the end of July and the bus services have been suspended due to major works in naples.

Best bet is to call at the news stand outside the port to get your tickets. the guy is great and he will tell you the latest situation. We took the tram from right by the news stand to the station and then took the train. It was a very easy journey, albeit busy with all the extra passengers due to the no bus service.

Cathy, that would have been me. We were just there at the end of July and the bus services have been suspended due to major works in naples.

Best bet is to call at the news stand outside the port to get your tickets. the guy is great and he will tell you the latest situation. We took the tram from right by the news stand to the station and then took the train. It was a very easy journey, albeit busy with all the extra passengers due to the no bus service.

Oh wow thanks for the update. I am so glad I asked! Does the gentleman speak decent English (and by that I mean no cuss words, LOL!) Just kidding. We will be there on the 8th of November so hopefully not too busy.

I just found out that my daughter, who lives in Australia, is coming with us on the cruise and she has never been anywhere in Europe except Spain, so this will be extra special for us. I want to see Herculaneum but also show her some of the spectacular coast. If we leave the ship as early as possible and spend a few hours in Herculaneum, what is reasonable to get to by train so she can at least get some view? I've been there several times but always on a planned tour, never had to do the logistics. I think we can get to Sorrento by train but is there somewhere better that will capture the idea without having to hire a car and driver?

thanks!

Archived