Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

The only note is that in Q1.11 where they ask for "local ID", they want your Drivers License or your SSN (SIN in Canada).

I wonder what will happen to our visa applications which are in the hands of our TA who uses another service for visas. Well I guess we will find out. Glad you got yours!

The one time we wished we'd brought a change of clothes in our carry on was the day we flew from Xi'an to Chongqing to get on the Emerald. We did not board till right before dinner, we'd been on the go all day, it was really hot out, we were sweated out through and through, and to say that we could have used a shower and a change of clothes before dinner was an understatement. The checked bags did not show up at our cabins for several hours after we boarded. On the whole trip, this was pretty much one of the only things Viking could have done better --- given us a better handle on the schedule and told us we shouldn't expect to have access to our luggage before dinner. (The printed materials give you quite the opposite expectation -- relaxing on board after your arrival, etc.)

I'm not complaining -- it was an extraordinary trip! :)

I thought this message was worth bumping to the most recent posts. I know it will change how I do things--put an extra change of clothing in my carry-on between cities and the ship.

Peregrina651 directed me to this thread. I am so glad I found it. I started reading the posts and there is a ton of useful information. I guess I will be busy for awhile as I read and catch up.

We are doing the China Explorer trip with Viking July 7th. I can't wait. Anyone else going? I am fully prepared to be hot, hotter and hottest...but what the heck...it's China! We lived in Mexico in the summer and I am intimately familiar with heat and humidity. I will just suck it up.

Thank you to everyone who has posted. You are making the trip so much more interesting and fun with all your tips and comments.

Lauri

I thought this message was worth bumping to the most recent posts. I know it will change how I do things--put an extra change of clothing in my carry-on between cities and the ship.

If I check luggage on any long trip (and I try to avoid it these days) then I am always sure to have a change of clothing in my carry-on because the airlines are so practiced at losing luggage (especially when you are changing planes).

Woohoo! Received a message from my TA that our final docs are ready for pick-up. (We're on the March 5 cruise.)

Bummed that we won't have a chance to go pick up until later this week, but definitely getting psyched as this trip, which seemed so far-off when we booked last January, is is now only a month away!

Are ATM's readily available in Beijing and Shanghai??? Does a 4 digit PIN work?

And to bring it up again, is there Diet Coke available on the Emerald?

9 more months to wait........

Thanks

We stayed in the Westin Beijing for our November 2012 Imperial Jewels of China tour and there was an ATM there. There was also one in the Crowne Plaza in Xian, so I imagine any hotel you stay in will have an ATM. Our 4 digit PIN worked .

Yes, Diet Coke was available on the Emerald.

Have a wonderful time. It was the trip of a lifetime for us!

We stayed in the Westin Beijing for our November 2012 Imperial Jewels of China tour and there was an ATM there. There was also one in the Crowne Plaza in Xian, so I imagine any hotel you stay in will have an ATM. Our 4 digit PIN worked .

Also at the airports in Shanghai and Beijing

Are ATM's readily available in Beijing and Shanghai??? Does a 4 digit PIN work?

Thanks

They should if our experience is any indication. We tapped ATMs in our hotels in Beijing and Shanghai without any trouble and on the street at a bank in Wuhan (Cultural Delights has a free afternoon there; do not expect to be able to get cash in Wuhan on the other tours as you might not have time or opportunity). Our pin numbers worked without a hitch. However, don't take this as a blanket statement of accessibility; we didn't have any problems but that doesn't mean that other people didn't or won't for whatever reasons.

I've read that we're responsible for schlepping our carry-ons during embarkation and disembarkation. For the land-tour portion, can you please tell me if we're able to leave our carry-on bags on the bus during the daily excursions? Thanks!

I've read that we're responsible for schlepping our carry-ons during embarkation and disembarkation. For the land-tour portion, can you please tell me if we're able to leave our carry-on bags on the bus during the daily excursions? Thanks!

Yes.

At Chongqing you can hire a porter to help you with your hand luggage. I most heartily recommend that you do so if it is raining, if your bag is heavy or awkward, if you have issues walking up or down steps, if you have balance issues, etc. Take full advantage of the help offered; it will only cost you a few yuan and you will in the long run be much happier at the end of the adventure.

Thanks so much for the information about the ATM's and the Diet Coke...I am not fond of carrying a lot of cash and like to use the ATM's when I travel.

I am sure I will come up with more questions and so appreciate everyone on this board who shares their knowledge and experience.

Thanks so much for the information about the ATM's and the Diet Coke...I am not fond of carrying a lot of cash and like to use the ATM's when I travel.

Everyone's spending habits are different. For our Viking cruise, we spent less than $150 in local currency. We also spent $36 in USA $$$ + another $250 for tips onboard the Viking ship and for the Viking tour guide. We used our last Yuan (part of that $150 worth) to complete the tip for the Viking guide. Other purchases were made with a credit card.

Street venders sometimes want US $, sometimes Yuan. So you may wish to have an assorment of small US denomination currency with you. You cannot get US currency converted into smaller denominations on the Viking ship.

Edited by caribill

Thank you Caribill. Good information to know and I will pass that along to our group. I also usually just pay for as much as I can with my credit card but I know vendors etc may not take credit cards.

And shopping with the vendors is a hoot. Even if you only buy a couple of things, you have to give it a try.

And shopping with the vendors is a hoot. Even if you only buy a couple of things, you have to give it a try.

Among items we bought from vendors in China:

Book about the Great Wall

Book about the Three Gorges Dam

Souvenir kites

Mao's little red book (in English)

Drawings

Hats

Post cards

Always bargain with the street vendors. If they are willing to make a sale, then they are not losing money. Only if you walk away and they do not come after you have you offered too little.

If anyone has information about buying quality silk fabric, I would be very interested in the information. I'm not looking for the cheapest price just great quality. I buy fabrics whenever I travel and not coming home with silk from China just won't do. It does appear we will be in Bejing for the extra day at the beginning of the trip and we did the 2 day extension in Shanghai so I am hopeful there will be some free time for my great fabric quest!!!!

If anyone has information about buying quality silk fabric, I would be very interested in the information. I'm not looking for the cheapest price just great quality. I buy fabrics whenever I travel and not coming home with silk from China just won't do. It does appear we will be in Bejing for the extra day at the beginning of the trip and we did the 2 day extension in Shanghai so I am hopeful there will be some free time for my great fabric quest!!!!

Your tour group guide should be able to help you with this, especially with communicating with vendors if he/she is with you when you are at an appropriate shop.

Thanks Caribill for the quick confirmation on leaving our carry-on bags on the bus. I'm sure it's been mentioned during my review of this thread, but my mom asked me to check to be sure that she doesn't have to schlep her carry-on while visiting the different tourist spots!

Peregrina, I remember reading your comment about the stairs at Chongqing. I think from our direction (Beijing to Shanghai) we go down, not up, so that's a relief! Thanks for the tip re using the porters!

Edited by SteadyAT

Peregrina, I remember reading your comment about the stairs at Chongqing. I think from our direction (Beijing to Shanghai) we go down, not up, so that's a relief! Thanks for the tip re using the porters!

The steps at Chongqing

0022100_4709080810Stepstoclimbtostreetlevel_zps27ea3e2a.jpg

Your tour group guide should be able to help you with this, especially with communicating with vendors if he/she is with you when you are at an appropriate shop.

I tried to ask our group leader where to buy fabric and it was complete a complete bust. He had no idea what I was looking for. I looked for bolts of fabric when we went to the silk factory but did not easily see any. (Do all of the tours go to the Silk Factory or just Cultural Delights?)

Did anyone else see fabric stores along the way or hear about where to buy fabrics? The only bolts of fabric that I saw were the ones in the tailor shop on board the ship.

Oh yes, Caribill, I remember seeing a photo of the stairs when reviewing the thread. Thanks for the reminder! Am really glad that we should be going DOWN to the ship there. (Would be happier if there were handrails on the wall...)

But egads, Peregrina, please tell me the "floating docks" that you show are relatively steady and wide!! I'm a klutz as it is - exactly how wobbly is this walk?!? I remember in your blog your mentioning that it was pouring rain, and it looks from the photo that part of the way is submerged! Here's hoping for a dry sunny day.

What is the pier at Wuhan like?

Edited by SteadyAT