Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Brrr...hope it's warmer there by March 4th (I'm thinking layers and one-size-fits-all gloves). Thanks for the additional cultural insights Kohola! (Leaving exactly 2 weeks from today) :)

It appears you're starting in Beijing so dress warm for the Great Wall...additional elevation plus a wind chill factor. Beijing is naturally protected from north winds by the mountains surrounding it so it doesn't get as cold as the surrounding area. Last year there was some snow on the ground in Beijing for the first tour group, but when we arrived around April 1 it was 70 degrees with sunshine.

img009-M.jpg

Our group on the Wall in March 2009.

N%25%5BR_~7QRX%5DFB9WIA%40BSQG9.jpg

April 2,2012; it was 70 degrees and sunshine, but the Chinese tourists preferred warmer dress.

D%7D4IF6ZD%7DO2%25%5B%255NK%29V%60G2T-M.jpg

Our friend Sophia in Guangzhou just a few days ago...shirt sleeve weather

X52IDIJ0JDQ31JWJY3AH%25TM-M.jpg

The Chinese can visit the world without leaving home.

WJ~%7D6IE%5D%28%60S6SB0YCY1HNLQ-M.jpg

Even Hawaii...Sophia attends school at Three Gorges U in YiChang. A stop on your tour. She has promised us a home cooked meal!

Most neighborhoods in China are heated quite differently then in the US. There is a central plant that heats water using coal which is then distributed to the radiators in individual homes via a piping system. So I am not sure how much control an individual home owner has to the temperature in their home, but I will find out. I have a friend in Shenyang in NE China who owns a mansion...they keep the house a cozy 76 degrees. When money is no object the Chinese live very well. This house has a market value of over $2.5 million, but you can buy a home in Shenyang for under $10,000. It was -4 degrees there yesterday.

U9S%7BM0X%40%2474C1LO%5B%60CJ~HI6-M.jpg

Only 6 bedrooms and 6,000 sq feet of living space.

These are some photos of various dishes Sophia sent us that she ate...don't look much different than what we were served in China. I've asked what they are.

_Q%7DW27YNPD79~IGEN2K%7BP%5DQ-L.jpg

PVK1T9X0K%7BTG_9V%24AF3W8RR-M.jpg

Notice a fork for all you that fear the chopstick;-)).

I can't remember if this question has already been answered...but here goes. I need to find some comfortable shoes for the trip and excursions. We are going May 1st. Any suggestions? Type?

Possibly brand? Here in Texas I wear sandals most of the time.

Thanks for your help?

Susan

Susan, we arrived May 9. I wore Teva cork-soled sandals (with ankle-straps) most of the time and had a pair of Keds for rainy days. I like an ankle-strap because I feel more secure when walking. I went for comfort more than anything.

at Debbie 4C: We took the Roof of the World in October 2012 and wound up in Hong Kong on October 24, 25, 26. We were so exhausted by the time we arrived in Hong Kong that we did not see as much as we should have to have spent that extra money. We hired a private guide and car to take us to get the rest of our purchases at department stores instead of those outside junk markets. If we took the trip again, we still would choose to go to Hong Kong because this will probably be our only trip to China.

To those going to Tibet, BE SURE to get the elevation medication from your doctor and remember to start taking it at the doctor's required time. If not, you will probably wind up receiving oxygen and IVs from the Tibet hotel doctor.

This trip is a marvelous trip. The food is very bland...they don't know how to use spices with their food...lots of food and very hospitable people. Our guide, Leo, was fantastic. If you go early to Beijing, make reservations via email to the Black Sesame Kitchen....best meal we had on the trip. There was silk to be purchased at the silk market which is a block and a half from the Beijing Fairmont. We also bought silk scarves and ties at the market in Beijing and then more scarves at department stores in Hong Kong...they don't take up much room. If you are a diet Coke fan, don't expect to see any until you get home. I paid $8 for one in Beijing at the hotel and it said diet Coke, but it did not taste as ours do. Paid $18 for two glasses of iced tea in Shanghai at the Fairmont Peace....you have to ask for ice and for black tea.....they serve green tea and iced tea is beyond their comprehension. Have a great trip!!!!

Edited by ruthlynn

to Lauren Spray: This is advice to you and everyone who is planning on eating at the Black Sesame Kitchen....be sure to print off the directions that are on their website...they have the directions in English and Chinese....and be sure to take that with you because if you find the alley, you will probably have to call the Kitchen for Coco to come out and lead you back to the restaurant. Our private guide could not even find this place....so go prepared with the driving directions and the telephone number...This is a great experience and the food is absolutely delicious....they don't have many desserts in China, but leave room at this restaurant for their fantastic dessert....their version of bananas foster is what we had....I would fly the 21 hours again just to eat at this place.

Edited by ruthlynn

to Lauren Spray: This is advice to you and everyone who is planning on eating at the Black Sesame Kitchen....be sure to print off the directions that are on their website...they have the directions in English and Chinese....and be sure to take that with you because if you find the alley, you will probably have to call the Kitchen for Coco to come out and lead you back to the restaurant. Our private guide could not even find this place....so go prepared with the driving directions and the telephone number...This is a great experience and the food is absolutely delicious....they don't have many desserts in China, but leave room at this restaurant for their fantastic dessert....their version of bananas foster is what we had....I would fly the 21 hours again just to eat at this place.

Just to let Lauri know--do not despair a reservation at the Black Sesame Kitchen--we heard from them last night--I was just thinking I should try for a reservation somewhere else--and they have had other reservations for 3/5 and we are in! So excited. Thanks for the information on getting there Ruthlynn we will also print out the directions and be sure our phones are in Beijing working condition so that we can call when we are hopelessly lost. I look forward to the dessert (even though I am following a carb-restricted diet--banana fosters BSK-style sounds like it is worth breaking it for!).

The food is very bland...they don't know how to use spices with their food...
Don't confuse the food you eat on the tour with the normal Chinese cuisine. On the tour you will eat "Westernised" versions of Chinese dishes which are very toned down for the Viking guests. If your experience is the same you will find the Tour Guide does not eat this food, but eats different dishes separately with the local guide and (sometimes) restaurant staff. In my numerous travels back to China I have had the opportunity to try a whole range of authentic dishes. I have spent a significant amount of time in Chongqing and have never before eaten food so spicy (numb lips!) and full of flavour as you will find there

Sean :)

It appears you're starting in Beijing so dress warm for the Great Wall...additional elevation plus a wind chill factor. Beijing is naturally protected from north winds by the mountains surrounding it so it doesn't get as cold as the surrounding area. Last year there was some snow on the ground in Beijing for the first tour group, but when we arrived around April 1 it was 70 degrees with sunshine.

Our group on the Wall in March 2009.

April 2,2012; it was 70 degrees and sunshine, but the Chinese tourists preferred warmer dress.

Hi Kohola, Yes we are starting in Beijing--hope there is no snow there in March this year! We live in Virginia and had a very warm beginning to this winter but have recently had quite a bit of snow (for here), freezing rain, sleet, and wind so I guess we'll be toughened up for the trip. Glad to hear that Beijing is protected--I hadn't read that anywhere else. We will be prepared for the visit to the wall. I loved your picture on the wall--looks like one of those tourist with Chinese tourist shots? I'm looking forward to mingling and chatting. I only wish I spoke some Chinese--other than nin hao, etc. Thank goodness for this group--it really helps us to get prepared!

Beijing is naturally protected from north winds by the mountains surrounding it so it doesn't get as cold as the surrounding area.

Glad to hear that Beijing is protected--I hadn't read that anywhere else.

The same mountains that protect Beijing from the winds are the ones that trap pollution in the city.

When you see lots of smog in Beijing, it is beacuse the winds cannot get there to blow it away.

The same mountains that protect Beijing from the winds are the ones that trap pollution in the city.

When you see lots of smog in Beijing, it is beacuse the winds cannot get there to blow it away.

LOL! As soon as I posted my reply that thought ran through my head--especially after all the news reports about the extremely high air pollution indices last month (or the month before). On this board the answer is given before the question is asked! Thanks! :)

Our cruise is getting close, so I asked at our bank, Capitol One, if they could order some brand-new one dollar bills for me. They said no. They never get new money (????).

How new do the bills need to be? I have been saving ones that I think look new, but not brand new. Can I try other banks, even though I don't have accounts there? Any other ideas on getting new money???

Thanks!

Our cruise is getting close, so I asked at our bank, Capitol One, if they could order some brand-new one dollar bills for me. They said no. They never get new money (????).

How new do the bills need to be? I have been saving ones that I think look new, but not brand new. Can I try other banks, even though I don't have accounts there? Any other ideas on getting new money???

Thanks!

I never met a street vender in China who would not accept a US $ bill no matter what it's condition.

If you want new looking ones, just ask at some other banks if they can changes a $20 bill of yours for new looking $1 bills.

Some other Asian countries are very particular, for example in Cambodia where even a small crease would cause a bill to be rejected.

Thanks!

Bills don't have to be unused, they simply need to unmarked and not overly worn out. Even new bills that are marked or written on can be rejected.

Edited by Peregrina651

Bills don't have to be unused, they simply need to unmarked and not overly worn out. Even new bills that are marked or written on can be rejected.

Glad you posted this Peregrina! I went out and got $150 in dollar bills today and of those 150 only 90 would meet the above criteria. Luckily I still have a week left--so off to the bank again tomorrow to redeposit the 60 bad ones and get more (think according to ratio of good to bad need to get $100 to get 60) to try to get to $150--hoping that that is enough for two people. We will tip crew by cc with extra if necessary to those who render service beyond and above--although from what I've read it sounds like that is just about everyone--and use Chinese/leftover dollars for the tour guide that we have from beginning to end. Thanks!!

Glad you posted this Peregrina! I went out and got $150 in dollar bills today and of those 150 only 90 would meet the above criteria. Luckily I still have a week left--so off to the bank again tomorrow to redeposit the 60 bad ones and get more (think according to ratio of good to bad need to get $100 to get 60) to try to get to $150--hoping that that is enough for two people.

I can't imagine what you would need 150 dollar bills for.

No tipping is expected in the hotels you will be in (China is basically not a tipping society).

If you will be buying from street vendors, also have some fives and tens instead of having to count out a number of ones.

By the way, when we were on the ship we tipped (in cash) the suggested amounts, but put half in the general pool and divided the other half up between the waitstaff that served us the most and our cabin attendant.

I had a lot of small bills on me ($1 and $5). No one ever rejected a less than pristine bill!

The banks and money-changers are probably a lot more strict about what they accept. If someone on the street has a problem with a bill they have been given, they can just pass it along to someone else as change.

I can't imagine what you would need 150 dollar bills for.

No tipping is expected in the hotels you will be in (China is basically not a tipping society).

If you will be buying from street vendors, also have some fives and tens instead of having to count out a number of ones.

By the way, when we were on the ship we tipped (in cash) the suggested amounts, but put half in the general pool and divided the other half up between the waitstaff that served us the most and our cabin attendant.

Thanks for the shipboard tipping tip. This is the clearest post I have read on exactly how to divide it up so that the people who are most involved in our care get the most. We are now bringing about $90 in $1 and the rest in 5, 10, 20. I would prefer to use the RMB but have read here (somewhere) that there is a tendency by the street vendors to try to slip in counterfeit bills as change if you do that. I really don't plan to tip anyone where I don't have to. We just came back from Italy and the b&b hosts in the places we stayed said that the North Americans are ruining it for the Italians who also don't tip. The servers in restaurants and the like get paid a living wage. Some of the more touristy restaurants (which we avoided) tend to get aggressive and DEMAND tips now--so we surely don't want to start something like that in China! Can't wait to go! I feel so prepared with all of the great help here on this thread.

The banks and money-changers are probably a lot more strict about what they accept. If someone on the street has a problem with a bill they have been given, they can just pass it along to someone else as change.

The ones I rejected were marked and very worn out--one even had the left corner torn off--I'm not taking any chances :) Thanks!

We are now bringing about $90 in $1 and the rest in 5, 10, 20. I would prefer to use the RMB but have read here (somewhere) that there is a tendency by the street vendors to try to slip in counterfeit bills as change if you do that.

We found that some street vendors (mainly in the big cities) took US $ and others (mainly in the small towns) took RMB. Very few took both, so have a variety of small RMB currency with you also.

Edited by caribill

We found that some street vendors (mainly in the big cities) took US $ and others (mainly in the small towns) took RMB. Very few took both, so have a variety of small RMB currency with you also.

Thanks we do plan to get RMB for that reason and also because we will stay in China for a few days following the VR trip. We willi need them. Getting really excited 10 days until the VR trip starts and we leave sooner than that. I don't know people are able to wait an entire year or more!

Thanks we do plan to get RMB for that reason and also because we will stay in China for a few days following the VR trip. We will need them. Getting really excited 10 days until the VR trip starts and we leave sooner than that. I don't know people are able to wait an entire year or more!

:D The next 10 days may go very slowly but the next two weeks or so after that are going to fly by!!

Yes, a year is a long, long,long period of anticipation but having this thread to while away the months really helped. Even though we had a good roll call, this thread was even better because it was full of experienced people who could answer questions and share their stories and pictures. IMHO, you need both!;)