Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

... I'm questioning whether this is a good cruise for going solo. Anyone........?
It absolutely is. I traveled solo on my Roof of the World tour in April 2010, as the timing and price were not suitable to friends and family. I was also about 40 years younger than every other member of my group, but all I can say is they took me under their wing and I had no problems. As other posters have already commented, you will travel as a group, eat as a group, tour as a group and will soon make friends. I still keep in touch with a number of people from my group almost three years later. After the first day my guide spoke to me in private to ensure I was OK and enjoying the trip and to see if there was anything he could do to help me - I really appreciated his kindness. There was no point in the trip where I felt awkward for being by myself - even on a rickshaw tour for two of the Beijing hutongs where I asked my guide to come with me and we spent a long time asking each other questions and getting to know more about more about both of our lives. Don't worry about being alone because you won't be!

Sean :)

IF we get there fine, enjoy what sounds like a terrific experience - how does one get a taxi/cab at 10 at night to get back to the Ritz Carlton? Anyone out there who can share their experience on returning from dinner?

I'm laughing now because getting a cab back -- for us, it was a really busy Friday night, and we were going to the Hyatt downtown -- was what we call an "Amazing Race" experience. As in, it was a bit tough. The main drag was teaming with people, it was dark, we don't speak the language, and the first two cab drivers to whom we showed our hotel address card (we were outside the cabs) refused to take us. BUT, you won't be there on a Friday, AND I'm about to give you some good advice. DON'T show the driver your hotel address card until you get in the cab and have closed the door. Flash some money if you need to.

Don't be put off by our experience. It was a REALLY busy weekend night, and you may have a very different experience. (I'll bet you will.) There were a ton of taxis, that wasn't the issue. The first couple we tried just didn't want to go where we were going. So we crossed the street, waited till someone was getting out of a cab, grabbed the door, jumped in, closed the door, and gave the driver the hotel card. I'd go back to Black Sesame Kitchen in a heartbeat.

Oh, and we gave the driver a really big tip. :)

PS: You might also want to ask the folks at Black Sesame Kitchen before leaving, since it will be the middle of the week....

Edited by Turtles06

It absolutely is. I traveled solo on my Roof of the World tour in April 2010, as the timing and price were not suitable to friends and family. I was also about 40 years younger than every other member...

Sean :)

Thank you very much, Sean. I do feel somewhat better after hearing of your experience. It reminded me of times when my sister and I spotted someone on their own and invited them to join us. I think most traveller's are of a special breed and I'm sure to meet some of them on my trip.

I tested the links after you commented the first time I posted the links and couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I read it very carefully; it said 4/4/2013. I tested it 5 more times this evening and each time I read 4/4/2013. It took 5 times before I realized that it did actually say 4/14/2013. I apologize for whatever glitch was going on in my brain.

I cannot go back and change what has already been posted but I can post a corrected list here and try to get the powers that be to delete the posts with the wrong information; no guarantees.

Links to Roll Calls--the place to meet up with folks who will be on your cruisetour and get to to know one another before you leave.

CORRECTED

(sharing cruise with April 21 Jewels)

thanks for posting this list - I didn't know how to make the link either and you've made it so easy for anyone to see the roll calls. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Betty

thanks for posting this list - I didn't know how to make the link either and you've made it so easy for anyone to see the roll calls. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Betty

Betty, creating the links is actually a simple process. Copy the URL of the website you wish to link to, highlight the words in your text that you wish to become the link, click on the createlink.gifand paste the URL into the window that opens.

You can insert images that are online into a message in a similar fashion. Find the image, right click on the image and select COPY IMAGE LOCATION, set the cursor where you wish to insert the image, click on insertimage.gif and paste the image location that you just copied. Voila! Your image appears.

If these stripped down instructions are still confusing, then contact me via e-mail and I will be happy to explain to anyone anything that is still unclear.

Betty, creating the links is actually a simple process. Copy the URL of the website you wish to link to, highlight the words in your text that you wish to become the link, click on the createlink.gifand paste the URL into the window that opens.

Thanks. I have been wondering how to do that.

I hope you are not offended if I put your sister's name on our school 'prayer' board, all 300+ children pray for those intentions each day. I'm sure the part with the V cruise tour will be just fine solo. You are brave, though! I'm impressed.

Our family is 'in the clouds'.......the impossible has happened. My sister, Heather, was told today that she can stop her dialysis for now! Her doctor said that this is very rare but they believe that her kidney problems were brought on by another condition which has now been treated. If her tests continue to be positive, she will be free from dialysis for good!!

Heather asked me to thank you and all the children for your prayers. We believe that your prayers and those of friends and family have been answered.

She is going to ask the doctor if she might be able to travel but we are keeping our hopes low key for now.

If it is meant to be, it will happen.

I tested the links after you commented the first time I posted the links and couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I read it very carefully; it said 4/4/2013. I tested it 5 more times this evening and each time I read 4/4/2013. It took 5 times before I realized that it did actually say 4/14/2013. I apologize for whatever glitch was going on in my brain.

I cannot go back and change what has already been posted but I can post a corrected list here and try to get the powers that be to delete the posts with the wrong information; no guarantees.

Links to Roll Calls--the place to meet up with folks who will be on your cruisetour and get to to know one another before you leave.

CORRECTED

(sharing cruise with April 21 Jewels)

Thank you Peregrina for adding my June 20, chasing my tail on a lot of other things at the moment. Will keep in touch. Joe:)

I'm laughing now because getting a cab back -- for us, it was a really busy Friday night, and we were going to the Hyatt downtown -- was what we call an "Amazing Race" experience. As in, it was a bit tough. The main drag was teaming with people, it was dark, we don't speak the language, and the first two cab drivers to whom we showed our hotel address card (we were outside the cabs) refused to take us. BUT, you won't be there on a Friday, AND I'm about to give you some good advice. DON'T show the driver your hotel address card until you get in the cab and have closed the door. Flash some money if you need to.

Don't be put off by our experience. It was a REALLY busy weekend night, and you may have a very different experience. (I'll bet you will.) There were a ton of taxis, that wasn't the issue. The first couple we tried just didn't want to go where we were going. So we crossed the street, waited till someone was getting out of a cab, grabbed the door, jumped in, closed the door, and gave the driver the hotel card. I'd go back to Black Sesame Kitchen in a heartbeat.

PS: You might also want to ask the folks at Black Sesame Kitchen before leaving, since it will be the middle of the week....

This is great advice as my wife and I have a Friday Reservation for the Black Sesame Kitchen, Wine and Dine night so the same scenario will, in all probability, exist for us. Your comment re asking the people at the BSK to help will be our first route, otherwise it will be like you said, jump in show card and some money. Again, thank you and so glad you enjoyed your evening meal. Joe.

Our family is 'in the clouds'.......the impossible has happened. My sister, Heather, was told today that she can stop her dialysis for now! Her doctor said that this is very rare but they believe that her kidney problems were brought on by another condition which has now been treated. If her tests continue to be positive, she will be free from dialysis for good!!

Congratulations. That is fantastic news!

Can you add Sept 15th 2013 to the roll calls?? Thanks and now to add our names to it!!

The links that I posted are links to existing roll calls that were already started by people who will be on that given cruise. All I did was round up the links in one place so that they could be found more easily.

If you don't see your sail date on the list, you should double check to make sure that a new roll call has not been started since the list was posted before you start a roll call for your sail date (having two for the same date makes it hard to meet people). Post a link here to any new roll calls to help people find it.

Help!

I know this has probably been answered before but couldn't remember where I saw it.

We are getting ready to apply for our visas this week for our May 1 cruise. We know the hotels and the airline flight itinerary (but it hasn't been ticketed). What do we do? I think that this takes the place of the invitation? I am just confused :)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Susan

Thanks! You are a good cheerleader. Your details help a lot. Very kind of you.

Heather asked me to thank you and all the children for your prayers. We believe that your prayers and those of friends and family have been answered.

She is going to ask the doctor if she might be able to travel but we are keeping our hopes low key for now.

If it is meant to be, it will happen.

Your good news teared me up! I'm so happy for you. I'll let the students know prayers get answered. Will you still be traveling alone?

Help!

I know this has probably been answered before but couldn't remember where I saw it.

We are getting ready to apply for our visas this week for our May 1 cruise. We know the hotels and the airline flight itinerary (but it hasn't been ticketed). What do we do? I think that this takes the place of the invitation? I am just confused :)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Susan

We sent for our Visas in January and we got them back about three weeks later. I don't think I put anything at all on the applications about flight information, just when we were arriving and how many days we were staying. I did put down all our hotels. If you are using GenVisa for your Visas you can call them with any question. They are very helpful.

The question came up in one of the roll calls and it sounds like something to be explored here. This is only for those who are coming in early and especially for those who Viking is bringing into to Beijing a day early. Does your room rate at your hotel include breakfast?? Why skip a meal or eat out, if the meal is already paid for.

We had the "forced" overnite in Beijing in Oct. It included breakfast and dinner on that day, but not lunch. Agree that there is so much "more fun" to spend money on than a meal that is already included. We were in the Westin in Beijing--food was very good. Both meals were buffet, so lots of choices. Pat

We had the "forced" overnite in Beijing in Oct. It included breakfast and dinner on that day, but not lunch. Agree that there is so much "more fun" to spend money on than a meal that is already included. We were in the Westin in Beijing--food was very good. Both meals were buffet, so lots of choices. Pat

Pat, did Viking tell you in advance which meals would be included as part of the forced overnight?

I contacted the Ritz C Financial street, and was told breakfast was included with the room - so not really part of Viking tour, and so we'll enjoy breakfast. Viking's little book that just came says 'meals start on Day 2', so it doesn't sound like dinner is included. We've had friends take the same tour and had to pay for their first dinner. But if anyone hears something different, we'l love to hear.