Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

IF we get there fine, enjoy what sounds like a terrific experience - how does one get a taxi/cab at 10 at night to get back to the Ritz Carlton? Anyone out there who can share their experience on returning from dinner?

Getting there was harder than getting back! We stayed in R-C Financial District and the other hotel being used was Westin Financial. At 6:30 the cabs do not want to take you outside of that district. They make 10Y just when the fare steps into the cab so they prefer to pick up several fares rather than drive all the way to Black Sesame hutong. It was only 26Y to get there and a loooonnngg drive--you can see the dilemma. At 10 they are looking for fares. We shared with another couple staying at Westin. Personally I would contact my hotel and find out how much a private car would cost. Believe me if it's not too much (and that depends on what you consider to be too much) the experience at BSK is WORTH it! We sat next to the marketing director of Chanel Paris and her husband, there was a director of the world bank in the Phillipines and his wife who is head of the asian version in Beijing, and on and on. Michelle who manages is a Chinese-New Zealander--the food was EXCELLENT and the conversation sparkling! Beer and wine flowed like a river (and we probably didn't need it being so jet lagged but it made the use of chopsticks a lot easier LOL).

Getting there was harder than getting back! We stayed in R-C Financial District and the other hotel being used was Westin Financial. At 6:30 the cabs do not want to take you outside of that district. They make 10Y just when the fare steps into the cab so they prefer to pick up several fares rather than drive all the way to Black Sesame hutong. It was only 26Y to get there and a loooonnngg drive--you can see the dilemma. At 10 they are looking for fares. We shared with another couple staying at Westin. Personally I would contact my hotel and find out how much a private car would cost. Believe me if it's not too much (and that depends on what you consider to be too much) the experience at BSK is WORTH it! We sat next to the marketing director of Chanel Paris and her husband, there was a director of the world bank in the Phillipines and his wife who is head of the asian version in Beijing, and on and on. Michelle who manages is a Chinese-New Zealander--the food was EXCELLENT and the conversation sparkling! Beer and wine flowed like a river (and we probably didn't need it being so jet lagged but it made the use of chopsticks a lot easier LOL).

Thank you for that BSKitchen info, we will definitely use your information. We are SO excited to add that dinner to starting our trip, also hoping jet lag lets us acutally enjoy it. We were thinking of taking a taxi at 4 or 4:30 so that we could find BSK and then walk around a bit enjoying the area. A private car with pick up sounds not so bad! we will check into that price! Great info, thanks.

There is so so much info here on this thread- so glad I happened upon it. I am just starting to look for all the info on Viking China I can find. Hoping to book tour for 2014 fall-- any recommendations for sept or oct? weather wise. would prefer not to have 100'F. lol thanks === thinking of flying into Beijing with a couple of extra days to recoup from jetlag. Any special tours or tourguides; tour companies, restaurants to not miss? ==

Dear Judy, we were on the Emerald last Oct. Weather was cool in the north and got warmer (65F) as we went south. Viking gave us a forced overnite in Beijing. Think it was a good thing, was ready to go when touring started. Restaurants--everyone raves about Black Sesame Kitchen--we weren't able to go. Another place we can personally recommend is Made in China at the Grand Hyatt--sooooo good and didn't break the bank. Such a wonderful trip. Pat

thinking of flying into Beijing with a couple of extra days to recoup from jetlag. Any special tours or tourguides; tour companies, restaurants to not miss? ==

I got the word out on here for Black Sesame Kitchen in Beijing back in 2011, and I am SO happy to see that many others have come back as pleased as we were with this extraordinary dining experience. It's a cooking school in the hutongs by day; make reservations for private dining at night.

http://www.blacksesamekitchen.com/

I would also suggest having a Peking Duck dinner at one of the well known places in Beijing, far better than what Viking offers on its optional night out. (Actually, the rest of the food at that dinner was pretty good, just not the duck.) We ate at Made in China at the Hyatt, and it was wonderful. Some others on our trip ate at Da Dong and loved it too.

I would highly recommend flying in to Bejing a few days early. It's a beautiful and interesting city. We spent three days there before the start of our Viking trip, and we used them to see things that Viking was not taking us to (like the Great Wall at Mutianyu and the Temple of Heaven Park), and to eat at the places noted above. We used a private guide for part of that time. I put up a summary of what we did during those extra days, along with the contact info for our guide (who was great!), at the link below. I hope it helps. We really loved Beijing. I'd go back in a heartbeat if it weren't half a world away.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29264391&postcount=4680

Having read so many great reports on this restaurant, both here and on TA, we have booked, and been confirmed, for Friday June 28th at 7:00pm.:)

If there are any others interested in going, and are on the Imperial Jewels of China tour June 20th Shanghai to Beijing, this booking is for the Friday evening that we arrive into Beijing from Xian. It is an open evening do what you need to do. We will be staying at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang. From what Michelle was telling me there are a number of ways to arrive at the BSK.

Additionally, it might be a good idea to visit the Hutongs in the daylight hours to fully appreciate the locale.

Does anyone know which country the Emerald is registered to, or if river cruise ships are even registered?

The information on VRC website didn't have any information. I "live chatted" with them and the rep didn't know. She said she would research it and find out.

Because of my husband's job, we need to report this information to his agency.

Thanks,

Kathy

Does anyone know which country the Emerald is registered to, or if river cruise ships are even registered?

The information on VRC website didn't have any information. I "live chatted" with them and the rep didn't know. She said she would research it and find out.

I would call Viking to get the answer. Keep asking to speak to someone else until you get the answer.

My guess is that it is registered in China.

Edited by caribill

Hi there

We just got our package from Viking and are getting really excited. Looking over the materials, we were wondering whether the Peking duck dinner and the extra excursion in Xian worth the extra cost?

Hi there

We just got our package from Viking and are getting really excited. Looking over the materials, we were wondering whether the Peking duck dinner and the extra excursion in Xian worth the extra cost?

What tour are you on? I believe this is the first season with the option for anything "extra" in Xi'an, so it's not likely there are folks here who have done it yet. Can you tell us what this excursion is? If it's to see the old city walls, I would love to have been able to do that.

As for the Peking Duck dinner in Beijing, when we were there, that was part of the optional night at the opera. I was glad I had done it because I'd wanted to experience the opera. As I mentioned in a post above, the duck was not very good, altho the rest of the food was okay. For really good Peking Duck, you'd need to eat out on your own at one of the well known Peking Duck restaurants in the city.

Have a great trip!

Thanks,

Kathy

Chinese owned and operated. Viking can only lease ships in China but it runs the hotel operation on board.

What tour are you on? I believe this is the first season with the option for anything "extra" in Xi'an, so it's not likely there are folks here who have done it yet.

I think bettybc might be referring to the Tang Dynasty show.

Betty, the reviews here are mixed on the Tang Dynasty show. Some people love it and some don't. Personally, we liked it and are glad that we went, even if it was a show put on strictly for tourists--like a flamenco show in Spain or a folkloric dance show in Russia or Mexico.

The Opera in Beijing and the Tang Dynasty show in Xi'an used to be included excursions but over time Viking learned from the passenger critiques that for various reasons people would prefer to have these as optional excursions.

I think bettybc might be referring to the Tang Dynasty show.

D'uh, slapping myself on the forehead! I guess the word "excursion" threw me off, as that "dinner theatre for tourists" never even came to mind when I thought of "excursion." You are probably right, thanks.

The Opera in Beijing and the Tang Dynasty show in Xi'an used to be included excursions but over time Viking learned from the passenger critiques that for various reasons people would prefer to have these as optional excursions.

I think Viking learned they could get extra income by making them extra cost.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. With other companies, we've often found the 'tours' are, as stated, something put on only for the tourists and actually not really much for the money paid. We've never done a river cruise before but from the cruise ship perspective, we'd rather do our own thing much of the time :).

Guess it depends on what you want from the experience - LOL.

I think Viking learned they could get extra income by making them extra cost.

Now, now! Let's not be cynical. If they want more money, all they do is up the price of the cruise--and then everybody pays, not just those who choose to partake in the optional events.

I received my visa today - only 19 days after I sent it to the visa company. Pretty awesome!

I'm on the 5/30 trip and I haven't received my trip packet from Viking yet. Should I be concerned?

I appreciate the links that Viking sends about China. I particularly liked the Mandarin phrases.

Gan bei!

Understand that you can have a jacket or suit made on the ship. Has anyone done that and what is the range of cost. I understand that they do a great job.

My wife had a jacket made. Yes, it was a great job. Order early in the cruise part of the trip si it will be ready for you. Cost will go to your onboard account.

Price list (in Yuan) from 3 years ago

100_3694Chinesetailorpricelist_zpsbae9b7ef.jpg

My wife had a jacket made. Yes, it was a great job. Order early in the cruise part of the trip si it will be ready for you. Cost will go to your onboard account.

Price list (in Yuan) from 3 years ago

100_3694Chinesetailorpricelist_zpsbae9b7ef.jpg

Do they make mens suits or slacks? Going to Hong Kong on the extension but may be overwhelmed by number of tailors.

Do they make mens suits or slacks? Going to Hong Kong on the extension but may be overwhelmed by number of tailors.

Not sure of the answer to your question (sorry), but if you want something special made take a picture of it (maybe out of a catalog). I am so sorry that I didn't have a robe made. I purchased one in the silk shop but a tailor made one would have fit much better and the cost was not much more for one made on the ship. The tailors spoke no English, so I had to describe what I was looking for. They do have some items on display to look at, but not every item that one might want.