Recommendatins for buying Larimar?

thetallone101

I fell in love with this stone on our last cruise and bought a larimar/topaz bracelet from DI in Grand Cayman. Is there a particular jewelry store that one would recommend purchasing from? I don't want to go back to DI...I just didn't get a good vibe from them and realize how much the cruise ships push this store. Anyone else notice that the price on this stone has gone up considerably? The same Larimar Marahlago and topaz bracelet that I paid about $240 for in 2010 (I know it was no more than that) is now $498 on DI's website!!! I'm glad for the increase in value but if it keeps going up at that rate I won't be able to afford another piece. I'm also looking for a blue diamond ring, but from what I've read the selection might be better in St. Thomas, but the prices are pretty much the same.

All the jewelry stores in St. Thomas are trying to survive the bad economy and, of course, will charge as much as they can get for an item.

Marimar is very pretty but is not a particularly pricey stone so you should evaluate the cost of the setting metals vs the stone itself. You always have to expect to pay for 'artistic value' for the design and labor of the manfacture and setting etc but don't pay a high price for larimar. A pretty piece of it can be stunningly beautiful but the gold it might be set in is worth much more.

I, for one, never shop DI for anything. Just my personal preference for no particular reason.

The bracelet I bought is set in sterling silver, so I know it hasn't gone up b/c of the silver...if it was gold, maybe since the price of gold has sky rocketed.

I don't like DI either, the only reason why I bought my bracelet there is b/c the other stores didn't have that one made by Maralago. It seems like a slimy store, bad vibe from that place.

Many stores on St Thomas sell larimar, but I think only DI sells Marilago larimar. The Marilago larimar is kind of like a designer brand for larimar, so it's more expensive than larimar designed and made in the Dominican Republic. The Dominican designs are not as elaborate, the larimar color is not as consistent, and there may be less silver/metal content than Marilago.

There are rumors that the Chinese are buying up all the larimar. There are rumors that somebody is doing fake larimar now. As its popularity increases, the prices will probably go up, and there will be even more rumors!

There's a Dominican designer, though, who does beautiful work incorporating larimar with other gemstones and pearls. Google David Morillo and see if he has a website. I have to check around to see who on St Thomas carries his jewelry. I have some ideas, but I need to check before I post incorrect info.

When are you coming to St Thomas? Please don't say this week!:)

Thanks for the info! That would make sense for the prices sky rocketing if ppl are buying it up...I can see that happening b/c once it's gone it's gone and it's only available in the DR. It's like Korite by Ammolite. I live in Alberta and that's where it's mined, and the only place in the world where it's been found. The price on that goes up and up. I'd love to get a pendant...hmmm maybe Christmas from the hubby? :D

I won't be in St. Thomas until I sail on the Breeze Dec 2012...so lots of time :) I just happened to go on the DI website a few months ago for kicks and saw the price and my jaw dropped. They had it at $465, now it's up to $498. Crazy! I'd love to get the matching pendant for the bracelet that I have, but I'd rather not give DI my business....sigh.

Hi! This is Marah Lago and one of my staff members mentioned you were looking for a different place to buy Larimar than DI in Grand Cayman, well if you are looking for my work, you can also find it in Island Companies, which would be the Flagship and Island Jewelers stores.

I can appreciate your concern about higher prices, and as you may know Larimar, especially the best grades are becoming more expensive due to the intricacies of mining (the best and most desirable grades of stone is becoming harder to find. It has become more elusive and the miners have to go deeper and deeper to find it). Finally, the metal pricing for sterling silver and gold have skyrocket in the past year, as was mentioned by another member.

We do our best to keep prices as reasonable as possible, but I believe that the miners should benefit from the work they do. I was just at the mines several days ago, and believe me, those shafts demand the most brave, committed men to work 100-300 feet beneath the earth to excavate that stone for all of us to enjoy and I believe those men should be paid a fair wage for the job that they do.

Like all gemstones, there is a large cost difference between the top grades and the mid to lower grades of the stones, this is because there is such a small percentage that is the best grade. In addition to using the best quality stone we also avoid pieces with any inclusions or cracks, sometimes these can be very interesting and add character, but generally they are considered flaws. If you are looking for more economical pieces, there are many options available, and as a member suggested, I would also recommend supporting the local people and buy a piece made by local Dominican artisan. While our work is very different, Larimar is always a beautiful addition to your jewelry collection.

As I have been supporting the local community and promoting Larimar for the past 10 years I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, so please let me know if I can help.

Best regards,

Marah

Marah, I'm so impressed that you took the time to post! Very few owners take the time to personally address customer questions, and you really gave me a much better insight into what distinguishes your jewelry from some of the other larimar jewelry.

Are there any other stores, other than DI, in the Eastern Caribbean that sell your jewelry?

I think I also saw it on one of the ships when I sailed this summer. Do any of the ships carry your jewelry? I may have just seen a sign promoting your jewelry.

Wow! Thank you so much for responding to my thread! I absolutely love the pieces put out by Marahlago, which is why I bought the bracelet that I did. I'm looking to purchase the matching pendant and maybe another piece. I'm glad that they have appreciated in value, I just hope that I can afford to buy the next piece :D I was just wondering if there are any other shops besides DI that sell it?

Hello! Thank you for the warm response, it is a pleasure for me to meet my customers and regular cruisers to the islands! :)

We do have several other retailers in the islands, other than DI, however if you are in St. Thomas, and you don't mind, see the store manager named Cydall in the watch and design store, she is really nice. Tell her you met me and that I suggested you see her personally. Hopefully you will have a better experience that way. In Antigua, we are in Sterlings and Beth Abbott is the owner. She is tall, elegant and super nice! You will love her! In Turtola and Nassau we will soon be in Columbian Emeralds stores and you may find those are nice places to buy, unfortunately, while i have visited the stores, I dont know anyone there yet personally, so I can't recommend anyone in particular.

I hope this helps and that you will be able to add to your collections. Remember if you are looking for my collections, look for the flower trademark on every piece. That assures the authenticity of the Larimar and that it is indeed my design.

Thank you all again for your kindness, I am here if you need me.

Fondly,

Marah

Marahlago......

What a treat to hear from you directly and how gracious of you to share in our conversation.

Your shopping tips are priceless, of course, and seeing we visit the Caribbean often, I shall be on the lookout in the stores you mention.

May I be so bold to make a suggestion for designs you might consider in the futre?

I mean no disrespect but would greatly love to find larimar set in gold vs silver (despite knowing the cost has to be higher) and I would adore earring with an omega or french clip. :o Those are on my 'dream sheet'.

Thank you again and my appreciation for your lovely work.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

:)Hi, Everyone! Just saw the postings about Larimar. I was fortunate to have worked on Royal Caribbean on the "Sun Viking" with my then husband, Tony Benade. We went to the DR and I was given a beautiful and large piece of Larimar..and a smaller piece...both absolutely beautiful! That was in 1974 when I was a spring chicken! I would love to find out what they are valued at now..thinking of selling them. One piece has a design (natural, of course) looks like a butterfly within the stone. It is rather large, about the size of a silver dollar but egg shaped. The other stone is very colorful too about the size of a dime. I noticed the postings by Marahlago. What is your opinion? Anyone?

Archived