Pre-cruise Seward and Whittier?

Travel Travel Travel

We are planning an Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess next August. We will have three nights pre-cruise. We are a high-energy family of 5. We would love to see Denali but there doesn't seem to be enough time and we don't want to spend the bulk of our trip driving. The sheer size of Alaska is so overwhelming!!! We're considering landing in Anchorage then renting a car and driving to Seward, spending our three nights, then driving to Whittier to catch our ship. Seward seems to have a lot more to offer than Whittier, which is why I thought we'd spend the bulk of our time there. Kenai Fjords looks gorgeous! Does that seem like a do-able plan (transportation-wise) and a reasonable use of our time in Alaska? Thank you in advance to anyone who is familiar with Alaska!

We are planning an Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess next August. We will have three nights pre-cruise. We are a high-energy family of 5. We would love to see Denali but there doesn't seem to be enough time and we don't want to spend the bulk of our trip driving. The sheer size of Alaska is so overwhelming!!! We're considering landing in Anchorage then renting a car and driving to Seward, spending our three nights, then driving to Whittier to catch our ship. Seward seems to have a lot more to offer than Whittier, which is why I thought we'd spend the bulk of our time there. Kenai Fjords looks gorgeous! Does that seem like a do-able plan (transportation-wise) and a reasonable use of our time in Alaska? Thank you in advance to anyone who is familiar with Alaska!

One suggestion might be to fly to Anchorage, stay the night, then take train (6:45 a.m.) to Seward (arrival 11 a.m.). Train takes you thru beautiful area. Spend 2 nights in Seward. Plenty to do in Seward: Kenai Fjords tours, Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, fishing. The day you are sailing, depending on time of departure, you could take a taxi to Whittier, drop luggage at ship and then take a tour of Prince William Sound. I have not been to Alaska but am in the planning stages. Hope my research info is correct & helpful. Research the area for more info. Also, the link http://www.alaska.org has been very helpful for me as well as this board. There are a lot of great alaska travelers as well as locals who give wonderful ideas.

Happy Planning!

I suggest, getting a costly one way Avis rental car, Anchorage/Whittier. This would make the BEST use of short time and with a group of 5, reasonable costs.

This then allows you some touring of Anchorage, the drive on the Seward Highway and any stops of interest along the way and your transportation in Seward.

I would also suggest you consider an early departure your embarkment day in Whittier, and consider a fantastic Prince William Sound boat tour. Well worth the time, and great to take advantage of. FAR superior to anything seen from the cruiseship. completely different than sailing Kenai fjords.

if you're a hi-energy family, a rental car is definitely the way to go. The train is a nice scenic ride but with a car you'll be able to make stops and explore between Anc and Seward. There's lot to see and do on that drive as noted in the link below; Winner Creek Trail and hand tram near Girdwood, pan for gold, several hikes (inc the ice worm safari) near Portage Glacier, and all the activities around Seward.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/r10/chugach/chugach_pages/bbvc/iceworm.html

Assuming your flight arrives in the evening, you might want to visit the Native Alaska Heritage Center before you leave Anchorage the following morning. A nice intro to Alaska culture.

http://www.alaskanative.net/en/main_nav/plan_visit/what_see/

Seward has a web site and will send a visitor guide. www.seward.com

• 2 weeks later...

A further question about the OP's two-city question: So far we have planned one night in Anchorage, then taking the train to Seward, where we planned to stay two nights. We have been considering the Major Marine Kenai Fjord excursion out of Seward for one day, but the more I read about the Prince William Sound excursion, the more I think I'd rather see glaciers than wildlife.

Should we instead stay two nights in Anchorage and take the round-trip train to Whittier one day, then the train to Seward the following day?

So much to see and do!

Thank you for your help.

A further question about the OP's two-city question: So far we have planned one night in Anchorage, then taking the train to Seward, where we planned to stay two nights. We have been considering the Major Marine Kenai Fjord excursion out of Seward for one day, but the more I read about the Prince William Sound excursion, the more I think I'd rather see glaciers than wildlife.

Should we instead stay two nights in Anchorage and take the round-trip train to Whittier one day, then the train to Seward the following day?

So much to see and do!

Thank you for your help.

You won't have a car?? The train transportation to/from Whittier, will only allow you on the Blackstone glacier trip. (based on this year's scheduling) IF you wish to see more, namely Esther Passage and Surprise glacier- longer tour= more glacier viewing, then you have to drive yourself, or use another transfer for this 11am tour.

Certainly, both areas are excellent to tour, and YOU need to decide how you wish to plan them. Either, of these options are equally good- again DEPENDING how you wish to spend the short time.

You won't have a car?? The train transportation to/from Whittier, will only allow you on the Blackstone glacier trip. (based on this year's scheduling) IF you wish to see more, namely Esther Passage and Surprise glacier- longer tour= more glacier viewing, then you have to drive yourself, or use another transfer for this 11am tour.

Certainly, both areas are excellent to tour, and YOU need to decide how you wish to plan them. Either, of these options are equally good- again DEPENDING how you wish to spend the short time.

Actually, both Major Marine and 26 Glaciers/Phillips have changed their 2012 schedules to coordinate with the Alaska Railroad for the longer tour. Both will be operating catamarans on the Esther Passage/Surprise Glacier trip; Major will continue to offer the shorter Blackstone trip as well.

As per a previous posting, Prince William Sound Glacier Cruise is no more in Whittier. Alaska Heritage Tours has shifted their boats to Seward.

Thank you to both of you for your answers. I'm going to do some more research, hopefully find lots of photos, and then decide whether to stay in Anchorage one more night to do the Whittier trip or keep the two nights' reservation in Seward for the Kenai Fjord trip. Decisions, decisions!

Thank you to both of you for your answers. I'm going to do some more research, hopefully find lots of photos, and then decide whether to stay in Anchorage one more night to do the Whittier trip or keep the two nights' reservation in Seward for the Kenai Fjord trip. Decisions, decisions!

I know - me too. So many decisions. I wish we had a few more days. Seward looks like it has so much to offer! We're planning to kayak in Kanai Fjord and then to do a hike to and on Exit Glacier. Good luck with your planning!

I know - me too. So many decisions. I wish we had a few more days. Seward looks like it has so much to offer! We're planning to kayak in Kanai Fjord and then to do a hike to and on Exit Glacier. Good luck with your planning!
The hike sounds great! I, too, would like a few more days in Alaska, but hopefully we'll all be going back.

Archived