Input from cruisers who have sailed other cruise lines

wife2b

Although I enjoy Carnival and have sailed on then more than any other cruise line, I have to say that Royal Caribbean takes the cruising experience a few notches higher.

Our last RCI cruise on the Allure of the Seas was absolutely phenomenal (I have a link below if you would like to read a bit more about what it's like).

Keep in mind though that Carnival is the price leader of the cruise industry, so with some exceptions, more likely you will be paying more to sail on other cruise lines. However, in my opinion, you pay more to get more.Whether you'll enjoy other cruise lines more than Carnival will depend on who you are and how discerning your taste is.

I personally love Royal Caribbean. NCL is okay. I mean it was my first so it was still amazing to me but after the RCI cruise I was hooked on them...unfortunately not so much on their prices. The food was amazing in the dining room as well as buffet and I can't imagine better shows. We also had an awesome night club as well. I'm excited to try Carnival though and see if I still get that same experience for half the price.

dh & i are looking into the possibility of trying other mainstream cruiselines for different itineraries, better food, etc.

We are in our 20's and things we look forward to when we cruise are good service, good food and nightlife.

I've done some research on celebrity and i like what they are offering in regards to food and service but i think we are searching for a crowd closer to our age.

Would anyone like to recommend a cruise line?

ncl...i love ncl

NCL has an inferior product.

I've been on 16 cruises now. Last year we sailed on NCL for the first time since the 80s. I'd read this "inferior" stuff, so I wasn't expecting much-- but boy, was I pleasantly surprised! The food in the MDR was excellent. The service was the best of any line I've been on. And the entertainment was outstanding.

It's absolutely NOT an inferior product!

To the OP: There are many more similarities among cruise lines than differences. It's very true that HAL appeals more to an older crowd, but other than that, all the lines have many activities for young folks.

I've been on Royal, Carnival, Princess and Disney.

Personally, while I of course had a great time on my Princess & Disney cruises, I didn't think I "got what I paid for". The food and service were no better than Carnival (and in Disney's case, the food was worse, which I was shocked about) and the price points are much higher. When I sailed on Royal I was highly impressed by the food and service, BUT that was 11 years ago now and I've read a lot of reviews saying Royal's food and service aren't what they used to be.

All that said, I choose my cruises based on port schedules and the times of the year I want to cruise...which is why I've returned to Carnival for my upcoming cruise and the last cruise I took. But we're looking at Royal for Australia in 2013 because they have way better port schedules and prices :)

I've been on 16 cruises now. Last year we sailed on NCL for the first time since the 80s. I'd read this "inferior" stuff, so I wasn't expecting much-- but boy, was I pleasantly surprised! The food in the MDR was excellent. The service was the best of any line I've been on. And the entertainment was outstanding.

Totally agree!!

Then why do people continually post that the food in the main dining room on NCL is only so-so and that you have to pay at the add-on restaurants in order to get a good meal?

I used to feel that way....then there were changes. CCL went in the negative direction and NCl went in the positive direction.

Each of my NCL cruises have improved over the one before...so they literally exceed my expectations each time I sail (even when I don't think it's possible to get any better)

Carnival, unfortunately for me has been the total opposite.

NCL crew are SO awesome...best of any line I have ever sailed. I have had more fun on NCL than any other line and found far more to do.

I went into my first NCL cruise expecting to not like it very much and over 5 cruises, they have become my absolute favorite. I will sail any line and have a great time, but when given a choice now, I will choose NCL.

Then why do people continually post that the food in the main dining room on NCL is only so-so and that you have to pay at the add-on restaurants in order to get a good meal?

For the same reasons some people on other boards write that Carnival is a party line, the Wal Mart of the Seas, and low class. Some people repeat things they read without even knowing if it's true. Others feel the need to convince you that their cruise line of choice is better by telling you how bad all the other ones are.:rolleyes:

The interesting thing is that many times, when you read an awful comment, the person writing it has never been on that cruise line, or sailed on them 20 years ago...

The interesting thing is that many times, when you read an awful comment, the person writing it has never been on that cruise line, or sailed on them 20 years ago...

Actually the comments are from current reviews....

You're right that cruise lines get a reputation though. It's funny how so many people think Carnival is just a "party" ship.

To the OP: There are many more similarities among cruise lines than differences. It's very true that HAL appeals more to an older crowd, but other than that, all the lines have many activities for young folks.

Totally agree with you about the food and I even liked their product better than Carnival!

To me, there are two negatives with Norwegian. I don't like anytime dining and the cabins are smaller. The positives are that you can eat in the MDR on embarkation day and avoid the insanity of the buffet, the ships are classier and the itineraries are way better. It depends on what is important to you. I think the food is about equal and I am not liking what I see of the new Carnival menus.

You have the choice of eating in a pay restaurant just as you do on Carnival. No one is forcing you to spend extra for a meal. In my experience the food was not really any better in the pay restaurant on the Dawn. The service was more attentive and more upscale. Not to say that the MDR service is bad, just that the Italian restaurant service was better. On our last cruise on NCL, we chose not to go to the pay restaurants and we survived on MDR fare. We only go to the buffet for snacks. Not really a fan of the buffet, but that is my personal preference. Some people LOVE the buffet and would not eat anywhere else. The point here is that you have options on all ships. You make your decisions based on your preferences. That's what cruising is all about. You can do what you want.

Go out and experience RCL, NCL or X for yourself.

I enjoy CCL overall but with 30+ cruises with them their experience is getting a bit stale.

I really enjoy RCL but you pay more for them and X as well.

NCL is priced similar to CCL and IMO their dining room food is very good. I see a lot of negative posts about that and I do not agree. Freestyle dining is the bomb and they do it better than any other cruiseline IMO.

Archived