Serenade of the Seas Photo Review- Take Two: Aruba Route

Just read this - loved it!!! Dh and I want to go on a southern Caribbean cruise next summer... would love to go on a Royal ship, but have to see what the new itineraries are in the next handful of weeks (Royal stopped sailing out of San Juan during the summer - hoping that changes for 2013!). Your review just confirmed that the Southern Caribbean ports are something we'd like to experience. :)

Thanks again, Chrystal!

Just read this - loved it!!! Dh and I want to go on a southern Caribbean cruise next summer... would love to go on a Royal ship, but have to see what the new itineraries are in the next handful of weeks (Royal stopped sailing out of San Juan during the summer - hoping that changes for 2013!). Your review just confirmed that the Southern Caribbean ports are something we'd like to experience. :)

Thanks again, Chrystal!

That's great to hear Michele! We absolutely love the Southern Caribbean.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone! I coudn't wait to get back and share our vacation with you. Life has been hectic lately, and our vacation came at the perfect time. My husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on the Serenade of the Seas, visiting St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao. We sailed her last year as well, you can check out my review from last year here.

This past May, I sailed with one of my best friends and my Mom on the Carnival Glory (review here). We had a nice time, but I think that sailing confirmed for me that RCCL's product just fits my husband and me better right now.

This trip was different in a couple ways: we were sailing by ourselves for the first time in two years. We sailed the Adventure of the Seas in 2009 on our own and had a great time. That's actually how we found the tour guides for our Serenade sailing in 2010 (visiting Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Martin, and St. Croix). We were so happy with those tour operators that we went with them again last year with our Mom and friends.

This trip was also different because we decided to spend another day in San Juan after the cruise. I got to redeem enough US Airways miles for us to fly RT to San Juan for free, and the catch was that we would have to spend an extra night on vacation. How could I ever spend an extra night away with the love of my life?! (note my sarcasm, lol).

This vacation was also one full of milestones- our 5th anniversary, my 5th cruise (his 4th), and the longest vacation we've ever taken (10 days). It was our first time visiting any of the islands on this itinerary. This turned out to be one of my favorite vacations we've taken. It was nice to take time away from everything and everyone else, and have 10 whole days to enjoy and focus on our marriage. Married people take note- you need a vacation every year! Even if you have to get a hotel room on the other side of town for a few days, you two need some time to reconnect on a regular basis.

So I'm off my soapbox now, and ready to share the details of our vacation with you. I share lots of tips and photos, and the review will take me a few days to complete, so stop by every day or so for your reading pleasure :)

My husband and I flew out of Philadelphia the Friday before our cruise. We had an amazing friend agree to stay in our home with our dog, Dewey, as well as drive us to and from the airport. Our flight was at 9:40 AM, and we arrived at the airport around 8:00.

Our flight was smooth and uneventful. We arrived in San Juan around 1 PM. As soon as we had our luggage, we walked outside to the taxi stand and caught a cab to La Concha Renaissance Resort, in the Condado section of San Juan. The taxi cost about $22, including our luggage.

We've never stayed in the Condado area, having stayed at the Caribe Hilton closer to Old San Juan, and the Ritz Carlton in the Isla Verde area. Hands down, this is now my favorite hotel. It's FABULOUS. The entrance is clean and contemporary, using lots of white with lime green and red accents, pretty fountains, and greetings from a fantastic staff. Very modern furnishings...I have to say, the hotel just felt so chic! We felt like part of the "cool" crowd from the minute we set foot inside the hotel.

ry=400

100_0246.JPG

100_0142.JPG

100_0144.JPG

100_0247.JPG

Awww memories! I love that hotel as well and wish I was staying there in a few weeks but I'll be back in Isla Verde this time. I hope that I can make a stop at Ropa Vieja in Condado though prior to the cruise.

Awww memories! I love that hotel as well and wish I was staying there in a few weeks but I'll be back in Isla Verde this time. I hope that I can make a stop at Ropa Vieja in Condado though prior to the cruise.

You're so lucky to be headed to San Juan so soon! What hotel will you be staying in this time? Isla Verde is nice, I love stopping at Metropol for dinner when we're there.

You're so lucky to be headed to San Juan so soon! What hotel will you be staying in this time? Isla Verde is nice, I love stopping at Metropol for dinner when we're there.

I will be staying at the Verdanza Hotel near the Embassy Suites. I may try Metropol as the last time I stayed in Isla Verde I went to Barrachina.

I will be staying at the Verdanza Hotel near the Embassy Suites. I may try Metropol as the last time I stayed in Isla Verde I went to Barrachina.

Oh ok, you won't be far from Metropol at all. We enjoyed Barrachina in Old San Juan, but I think the food is much better at Metropol. Their 1/2 chicken is delicious! You'll see just about everyone in the restaurant eating the same thing. It's that good.

• 1 month later...

Morning all! I have some sad news. I was hanging out in the San Juan forum and it's been confirmed that La Bombonera in Old San Juan has closed. :( I can't believe it and am so sad, we loved that place and it had such an awesome sense of history. I wrote a bit about it in this review, and I wanted to be sure everyone had the latest news.

Check out these threads for more info. If visiting La Bombonera was in your plans, you'll need to make new ones. Happy cruising no matter where you visit :)

La Bombonera? Say it Isn't So!

La Bombonera closing ?

• 1 month later...
How do you book the tour with Thenford Grey? I love your cruise review and we are going there in December on Vision of the Seas and would like to do the tour you did.

Hi there! I booked through his website: thenfordgrey dot com.

You're sure to have a great time with Thenford. One of the best tours we ever had. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Host Faith

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Chrystal

Your reviews are awesome. Hubby and I are sailing on Seranade of the Seas June 2013. 12 day Greek Meditteranean and can not wait. We have been on several cruises but mostly on Carnival. The last time we were on RCCL was almost 11 years ago on a Tom Joyner cruise.

I booked 9094 which I heard good things about because it was considered a hump room. Balcony not as big as 9092 but bigger than many. I realized a couple of months after booking, it is an adjoining room. Any thoughts? I could maybe change cabins but I am thinking the center of the ship and the larger balcony outweighs the possibility of noisy neighbor. And I figure if they are that noisy that could happen without an adjoining door.

The food looked soooooo good. Dieting now to get ready. LOL Curious if the food is different on a European cruise. Looking forward to the refurbished ship.

I Appreciate any tips for the Seranade. I will attempt to contribute great information and pics from our cruise.

Hi Chrystal

Your reviews are awesome. Hubby and I are sailing on Seranade of the Seas June 2013. 12 day Greek Meditteranean and can not wait. We have been on several cruises but mostly on Carnival. The last time we were on RCCL was almost 11 years ago on a Tom Joyner cruise.

I booked 9094 which I heard good things about because it was considered a hump room. Balcony not as big as 9092 but bigger than many. I realized a couple of months after booking, it is an adjoining room. Any thoughts? I could maybe change cabins but I am thinking the center of the ship and the larger balcony outweighs the possibility of noisy neighbor. And I figure if they are that noisy that could happen without an adjoining door.

The food looked soooooo good. Dieting now to get ready. LOL Curious if the food is different on a European cruise. Looking forward to the refurbished ship.

I Appreciate any tips for the Seranade. I will attempt to contribute great information and pics from our cruise.

Hi cruiser! Hope you saw my response on my Allure cruise review. Have a great time on the Serenade!

Thanks for the nice review and great photo's.

My pleasure! Happy cruising to you:)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
AWESOME review with so many pics, THANKS La Concha Renaissance is one of the two resorts e have chose, looks lovely!

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed the review! LaConcha is our favorite in San Juan. Enjoy :)

• 1 year later...