Upcoming cruise questions, thank you in advance.

CHRIS3169

Hello,

I have a few questions on luggage. We are in desperate need of new luggage. Does anyone have any recommandations? I need LARGE luggage, lots of shoes!:)

Also, is it possible to order a romantic dinner in our suite on the balcony? Do they have candles, will they blow out, can we bring some?????

Lastly, which night is everyone most dressed, the first or second formal night?

Thank you,

Christy

Hi Christy...take a look at http://www.ebags.com or http://www.luggage.com to get an idea for prices of various brands, styles and features. But before you go buying the biggest pieces that are available...think of how large a one you can really handle by yourself (porters etc aren't always available to assist) and the fact that these days the airlines have pretty strict guidelines on size and weights. Too big or too heavy and there is the possibility of incurring sometines fairly hefty 'surcharges'. IMO it's probabley better to get 2 that are a little smaller rather than 1 huge one.

And yes...a lovely dinner can be arranged for your suite...but I do think that candles are a 'no-no' on a ship. Perhaps someone else will have a more definitve answer about that.

And in my experience usually the first formal night is 'more formal' than the second.

Hope this helps you a bit...happy sailing!

Betty

I've found that whichever is the captain's dinner people are generally more "formal" than other formal nights. I guess that's been due to the receiving line, etc. that generally goes along with that.

Don't make our mistake! We bought the largest wheeled luggage made. Remember, domestic flights only allow 50 lbs. The largest wheeled bags are around 30 empty. They are usable when we fly internationally because you are allowed 70 lbs. We recently bought the smallest suitcases on wheels and we love them. For our next cruise, we will probably each pack a small one, then take a garment bag as well. Maybe one other bag for shoes. That is a problem for me as well. Gotta have a good shoe selection! BTW, we love the quality and dependability of Atlantic luggage. We have bought a half dozen pieces or so through One Stop Travel using their online store. The service is GREAT and there is no charge for shipping. I did a lot of research before choosing them. My husband has even negotiated for lower prices because we are repeat customers! Great American company!

...but I do think that candles are a 'no-no' on a ship. Perhaps someone else will have a more definitve answer about that.

Candles are a no-no on the ship. That is definitive.

I dress equally formally on all of the formal evenings.

I found a great rolling garment bag at Marshall's. (It's made by Lark and we love it!) If you have time to keep checking their stock you will find lots of good deals there. If you are in a hurry they are hit and miss. I would also remind you of the airline restrictions. The fines for weight overage is not cheap, and the really big bags packed full are hard to handle. One handy thing that I have found on my new carry-on is a strap across the bag you can slide over the larger wheeled luggage and the bag doesn't slip off when stacked on top. Makes walking with two or more bags easier, especially if you are carrying something heavy (like wine) in the carry on!

Except I find Tuesday Morning (if one is available in your area) a good luggage place. Once again, you have to keep checking but some good deals are to be had. Also, I have another bag with strap that fits over the handle of my wheeled biggie which makes transport a breeze.

Another consideration is finding something that will stand out amongst the rest of the usually black luggage when you're trying to match up with it in a mob of other luggage.

Good luck in your luggage search and happy cruising!

Luggage is best when flexible, light and on wheels. The best is large wheeled canvas duffle bags - you can find them at Target, Walmart and other places. The bags don't weigh much themselves, but are easy to transport and stuff a lot into. They are sturdy and we have used them for years transporting ski equipment/boots etc. Cruise wear is no problem.:)

We have had excellent choices at our local T. X. Maxx and Home Goods (a branch of TJMaxx). Bought some expensive dept. store luggage and it didn't last nearly as long as the major brands purchased at the above.

Do check each airlines weight and size restrictions. Weight cannot be combined between bags -- each bag has to be within the maximum weight or you will have at lest a $25 charge.

Archived