First time on Cunard

CountessOz

I am going on the QM2 for the first time in March whilst I have been on a lot of other cruises this is the first time on Cunard. Is there anything I should be aware of?

Only that you are going to have a great time.

I've got a couple of tips:

• When you arrive in your stateroom your table allocation will be printed on a card and left on the table. Make sure you visit your dining room and ensure the location is to your liking. If it's not speak with your maitre d'.
  • The Commodore Club is a fantastic place to read a book or just admire the bow of the ship crash through the waves.
  • Afternoon tea in the Queens Room is a must but make sure you arrive at least 10-15 minutes before the start time printed on the daily schedule. The best seats fill up quickly and if you arrive towards the end you may not get a seat.
  • The Chart room is a fanastic after dinner venue. They have a resident jazz band and the atmosphere of the room is very nice.
  • If you don't plan on using the gym, get into the habit of walking around deck 7 three times after each meal. It's a great habit to get into.
  • On deck 11 at the bow of the ship there is an outdoor lookout. Additionally, on deck 12 or 13 at the bow end of the ship you will find a window which looks into the command centre of the ship - I forget what you call it, but it's very interesting.
  • G32 is the soi-disant nightclub. Be prepared to be disapointed here, the music is not that great.
  • You can buy a soda card but it doesn't include coffee. The coffee on the ship is fine btw.
  • Unless you're desperate for a massage forgo them for manicures and pedicures which are better and reasonably priced.
  • The last or second last night of your voyage they will do a special with the laundry - usually $30 bucks for as much as you can stuff in a laundry bag.
  • Don't bother with the free self-service laundry rooms. Just get Cunard to do it - they do a good job and the price is reasonable.
  • You can make cash payments (in US dollars) towards your onboard account throughout your voyage. You can also request interim statements as well.
  • Take the first couple of days to explore the ship - it's big.
  • During dinner you will have the same table and the same waitstaff. At lunch and breakfast the Britannia during room is open seating (you are allocated a different table and waitstaff depending on what sections are open etc).

Below is a picture of the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant - just to whet your appetite.

web.jpg?ver=13066849510001

• When you arrive in your stateroom your table allocation will be printed on a card and left on the table. Make sure you visit your dining room and ensure the location is to your liking. If it's not speak with your maitre d'.
  • The Commodore Club is a fantastic place to read a book or just admire the bow of the ship crash through the waves.
  • Afternoon tea in the Queens Room is a must but make sure you arrive at least 10-15 minutes before the start time printed on the daily schedule. The best seats fill up quickly and if you arrive towards the end you may not get a seat.
  • The Chart room is a fanastic after dinner venue. They have a resident jazz band and the atmosphere of the room is very nice.
  • If you don't plan on using the gym, get into the habit of walking around deck 7 three times after each meal. It's a great habit to get into.
  • On deck 11 at the bow of the ship there is an outdoor lookout. Additionally, on deck 12 or 13 at the bow end of the ship you will find a window which looks into the command centre of the ship - I forget what you call it, but it's very interesting.
  • G32 is the soi-disant nightclub. Be prepared to be disapointed here, the music is not that great.
  • You can buy a soda card but it doesn't include coffee. The coffee on the ship is fine btw.
  • Unless you're desperate for a massage forgo them for manicures and pedicures which are better and reasonably priced.
  • The last or second last night of your voyage they will do a special with the laundry - usually $30 bucks for as much as you can stuff in a laundry bag.
  • Don't bother with the free self-service laundry rooms. Just get Cunard to do it - they do a good job and the price is reasonable.
  • You can make cash payments (in US dollars) towards your onboard account throughout your voyage. You can also request interim statements as well.
  • During dinner you will have the same table and the same waitstaff. At lunch and breakfast the Britannia during room is open seating (you are allocated a different table and waitstaff depending on what sections are open etc).

Below is a picture of the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant - just to whet your appetite.

Thank you whitemarsh, who is that good looking YOUNG fellow in the picture?

That you posing for the pic?

Haven't been on QV yet. Am thinking of a trans-pacific from the west coast of the USA but based on reviews I think I would prefer the QE.

We're on QV for the jan.19 Panama trip. First time on this ship. We've always done the QM2. I heard from those who sat at the next table, that the QV was a very elegant ship. We were in the Queen's Grill last Nov.We are doing a A-1 this time around(unless we get upgraded)

Haven't been on QV yet. Am thinking of a trans-pacific from the west coast of the USA but based on reviews I think I would prefer the QE.

Another 'why'! Have sailed on both QE and QV to me, they seem identical in all aspects.

Thanks too for your list for first timers on QM2 - only a "couple" of days to explore the ship!!? Look forward to seeing you on board in February!

Don't forget the golden lion pub! Great lunches, quizzes and

music!

If you get aboard early enough u can have your 1st lunch in here, before people realise you can. We spoke to a lot of people who thought you had to pay a cover charge to eat in there.

Hi Billyelliot. Perhaps Golden Lion is not open for lunch at all embarkation ports? I don't recall it being open for lunch when we embarked from RedHook Terminal on any of our voyages.:confused: Regards, S.

Why?:D

I think I would prefer the QE over the QV based on the colour scheme. The pictures of the QE show an overall lighter tone than the QV. Look, I'm just guessing, I haven't been on board either. Hope to soon though. It will great to be able to make the comparison.

I do like that the QE has the Veranda Grill; although I will try Todd English during my upcoming voyage, I'm not terribly excited about it. Most likely a lunch instead of a dinner.

That you posing for the pic?

No it's my partner. And he may look young (as described by the Countess) but he is actually older than me.

Another 'why'! Have sailed on both QE and QV to me, they seem identical in all aspects.

Thanks too for your list for first timers on QM2 - only a "couple" of days to explore the ship!!? Look forward to seeing you on board in February!

Yeah me too. It will be nice to put faces to names at the meet and greets. February is getting so close now - it's so exciting.

And yeah, it would take more than a couple of days to explore the ship fully. I only realised months after my transatlantic that a room I thought was the Britannia Club in fact wasn't, so I'm looking forward to seeing that, and other things I missed, when I return.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived