Customs Question on Western Carribean Cruise

Fat Bottom Gurl

We are going on the Western Carribean cruise in Feb. 2012 and there are 4 ports. How is customs handled when one goes on shore? Do we have to carry our passports when we go on shore?

What about keeping care of valuables while on shore - for instance going for a swim. Where does one stow their valuables?

Thanks

The customs on different islands is all resolved by the cruise line before anyone gets off the ship & is transparent to the passengers. Don't take your passport off the ship with you since there's always the possibility of losing it but do make a copy of it before you leave home just in case you're separated from the ship & you have to return to the US without the original.

If we go to a beach I never take credit cards and only money for the day. You can always get one of the water proof wallets for swimming. The most valuable thing I take is my old digital camera & while I wouldn't want to have it stolen, it wouldn't be the end of picture taking since my good one is on the ship.

Leave ALL jewelry & valuables on the ship. No one cares about how you look on any island except someone who wants to steal it.

Just a reminder that if something happens to you on that island and you cannot get back to the ship, you will have problems getting back to the US as you need a passport for air travel. I don't think that the islands are any more dangerous than large cities in the US or Canada for that matter. Always be careful

There are two ways you can work with your passport.

1.) Take it with you and hope it is not stolen or that you will need it.

2.) Take a copy of it with you, lock your passport in your safe and hope you do not need it or someone can go back to the ship and open your safe and get it for you. A copy will at least let authorities know what your passport number is if you can not get yours for whatever reason.

There are arguments for both sides so it is up to you which one you want to do. There was a big discussion on one of the other boards about this and as far as I could tell it was never settled. What will make you comfortable is what you should do.

Archived