Fight out of Heathrow

Bobocasey

We will be arriving in Southampton on the Eclipse on Saturday August 18, at 5:30 am. I am looking at flights back to the States, What is the earliest I should book our return flight? When I called Celebrity but get an idea I get conflicting reports on the time to book return flights. I know that you can hire a car and that might be the way to go. For what the cruise ship charges we can have a private car. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Heathrow isn't as bad as your typo suggests :D

Forget the ship's arrival time, general disembarkation starts around 7.30 & most folk are off the ship ahead of 9.30. Unassisted disembarkation (haul your own bags) about 7am

The good news is that a Saturday is an easy traffic day to be heading towards London, & the London Oylmpics finished a week ealier.

To Heathrow, quickest is by car, about 75 mins once you've cleared the dock area. And yes, for two people a private transfer is no more expensive than ship's coach transfer. About £90 the car.

Try

http://www.westquaycars.com/

http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

http://www.advancedairportcars.co.uk/

By private transfer, you should have no trouble checking in at Heathrow by say 10.30 - earlier if you need to, but to get good advice on an earlier time you'd need to quote your latest check-in time & Heathrow terminal number.

Trans-Atlantic latest check-ins can be as little as 45 mins before flight times, but regardless of the minimum airline check-in you should allow 60 mins from check-in thro security to gate.

There's not a good Southampton to Heathrow rail option, but by rail/shuttlebus (about £35 pp, 2 to 3 trains per hour, no need to book) or by National Express coach (about £15 pp, booking strongly advised) are your cheapest options. Add a £5 to £8 taxi fare to Southampton rail or coach station. Basic journey times about 90 - 120 mins, but allow extra time to get to the station.

Car hire isn't the way to do it, it'll save little or nothing compared to a private transfer & will give you endless waiting in line, grief & paperwork, navigation to the depots & a transfer to your terminal

By pulling out all the stops & with the Gods on your side a flight as early as 9.30 is possible but seriously inadvisable, being a saturday a flight time after 11.30 should be ok by car, later flight times reduce the stress & broaden your transport options, a 3pm flight will allow you a leisurely breakfast on board & travel to the airport by pretty-well any method except a bicycle :)

JB :)

John we will by flying American Airline out of terminal 3. I think we will be using express walk of disembarkation since we have finally learned how to travel light since we are elite members of the captian club and get free laundry. YEA!!!!!!!! Do you think a 12:50 flight is doable since there aren't any flights later in the day that I can us FF miles for.

Thanks Bobocasey

Do you think a 12:50 flight is doable since there aren't any flights later in the day that I can us FF miles for.

Thanks Bobocasey

Travelling light? You are clearly not a genuine American :D

You should have no problem making a 12.50 flight.

My reading of AA's website is a recommend check-in 2 hrs before flight-time, with check-in closing at 60 mins and the gate at 30 mins before flight time.

Let's stick to AA's recommended check-in of 10.50am

Allowing 90 mins on-the-road (T3 involves the sometimes-congested tunnel under the runways) means leaving the pier by 9.20am

No need for early un-assisted disembarkation, though if you are indeed travelling light, hauling your own bags saves a lot of fuss putting them out & retrieving them.

So book a private transfer for 09.00, or 08.30 if you're feeling nervous. :)

Drivers for the three companies I suggested, and others worth their salt, will have electronic aids & a grapevine to warn them of any significant motorway grief or a closure due to a serious accident, and there are a couple of alternate routes which will not gridlock on a saturday even with a motorway closure.

John, thank you so much for the info you made me feel so much better. I really appreciate your help.

Glad to be of help.

It's real difficult & fraught with potential problems when trying to advise folk about flying out around 11am.

But real easy to advise those wanting to fly after noon :)

............ or before 9am :D.

BTW, you do have time to take

the Nat Express coach

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

or train/shuttle

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

if you want to save £25 - £55 for two.

John we are going to try and find a fellow passengers on our cruise that would be willing to share the cost of a private car. Not much difference in price if we can find someone plus would probably be easier.

John could you e-mail me at gc.frederick@hotmail, I notice that you are from that area and I have some questions regarding sightseeing pre-cruise. It is always easier when you can talk to someone from the area about travel.

John we are going to try and find a fellow passengers on our cruise that would be willing to share the cost of a private car. Not much difference in price if we can find someone plus would probably be easier.

John could you e-mail me at gc.frederick@hotmail, I notice that you are from that area and I have some questions regarding sightseeing pre-cruise. It is always easier when you can talk to someone from the area about travel.

Couldn't send cos of incomplete address. So I added dotcom & it's disappeared into the ether - but not sure whether that's right or whether it'll reach you.

Post again if the electronic postman doesn't deliver

Archived