PAUL MERTON on the ALLURE Ch5 (UK)

BMT

We getting old girl,

Indy in June 11, has gone the same way?

but that is were the money is.

G

I think we are getting old!!! The definition of Butlins An organised holiday camp!!! Where perhaps anything and everything goes. Loved it when I was a kid but I've grown up now and prefer caviar and Cosmos rather than candyfloss and cola!!! Even my 18 and 21 year olds thought the same!!!

But please remember he is a comedian and will take the p*ss, and surly he would have had to pay for that drink when he got on ? I just hope the IOTS is not too Americanised seeing as its sailing out out of Southampton, being a ex P&O cruiser

Lol Kimberley (and hi :D) If any Americans are reading this thread you may now get the question (which I've seen on here before) asking what is a Butlin ;)

In case (as I am always asking for translations of americanisms!)...

Butlins are now family holiday villages with lots of activities like sports, swimming etc. The brand is trying to give itself a more upmarket image.

They used to be a much larger concern, hotels and holiday camps around the uk coastal resorts. As I type I am in my office looking onto the site of what used the the butlins grand hotel, Margate, Kent (it's now retirement flats!).

There were entertainment workers known as red coats who used to get holiday makers to join in activities like bingo and knobbly knees contest.

If anyone wants more info google Billy butlin as there are several websites dedicated to the history of the various camps and what they have become today. There was even a tv series called hi-di-hi which was a parody of life at one of these camps.

I think that since balconies have become the thing, all the large cruise ships look like large blocks of flats. He's right - its the truth.:p

I have also been saying for years that cruising is an 'upscale Butlins'!! OK, they don't wear red coats and say Hi De Hi - but the idea is the same!! Inclusive food and entertainment - just visit lots of different places as an extra.

I think the prog did a pretty good job - many families will be attracted to cruising by this prog - many of those think its just for a load of old f***s and this prog may convince them to give it a go. Us old fogies already cruise of course!!!

I enjoyed it - but when it rains in the Caribbean, it really teems down - all those open spaces? No indoor pool either as far as I am aware.

I think the prog did a pretty good job - many families will be attracted to cruising by this prog - many of those think its just for a load of old f***s and this prog may convince them to give it a go. Us old fogies already cruise of course!!!

Totally agree with this. I can't believe how many people sneer when they hear how much we love cruising and say it's just for old folk, - and they're flabbergasted when we tell them it's the holiday of choice for our 18 and 19 year old sons (as long as they're sailing from the Med with a drinks waiver ;))

Totally agree with this. I can't believe how many people sneer when they hear how much we love cruising and say it's just for old folk, - and they're flabbergasted when we tell them it's the holiday of choice for our 18 and 19 year old sons (as long as they're sailing from the Med with a drinks waiver ;))

Hi,

Can I ask if you've been on IOS before. If yes how strict are they re drinks waiver. Got my nephew with us in January (without his parents).

Was looking forward to it, but was dissapointed with the show. No real depth to the show, didn't see a great deal of anything - the biggest item was the fat guys jumping into the pool???? The trips glossed over without showing much of anything. And Merton just embarrassing himself all the time.

A different presenter would have made so much more of the preogramme.

Not a patch on his previous travel shows.

I totally agree.The ship was hardly shown,Merton is embarrassing,it came across as all the Brits do is sit in the English pub,SAD.Fat guys belly flopping and English pub, it all came across as Chava/Butlins and I know RCI not really like that,well Freedom isn't anyway.

Edited by UK Cruiser2

Hi,

Can I ask if you've been on IOS before. If yes how strict are they re drinks waiver. Got my nephew with us in January (without his parents).

I haven't been on the IOS but would imagine that all ship's are just as strict as each other when in comes to the drinks waiver. However, there was a thread on here earlier this year which I saved in case we were ever in a situation where we were sailing with a girlfriend of one of our sons. Read this thread and this may help http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399136&page=4

I'm agreeing with all the Butlins comments, I thought Indy was bad but this is double bad! Paul seemed to be quite different to his usual self - I was expecting a lot more sarcasm. I think RCI must had paid the programme makers a very generous fee for this 'advert'.

I'm agreeing with all the Butlins comments, I thought Indy was bad but this is double bad! Paul seemed to be quite different to his usual self - I was expecting a lot more sarcasm. I think RCI must had paid the programme makers a very generous fee for this 'advert'.

Hmm.... well, I have no doubt Merton and the film crew were comped everywhere!! Someone obviously knew someone, somewhere yadda yadda yadda:D:D:D

I think Merton actually enjoyed the cruise!!

• 2 years later...