Samana

chester2012

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone visited Samana in the Dominican Republic.

Is it safe and are there things to do that would interest a group of 10 people ... all in our 40's. We are open to anything.

Thanks

We did the speedboat to the Caves and mangroves and then to Cayo Leventado beach in 2009 and it was a great way to spend the day. In March we have a tour booked with Terry to go to eh waterfall by horseback. Hopefully we will enjoy this as much as our last excursion in Samana.

Has anyone visited Samana in the Dominican Republic.

Is it safe and are there things to do that would interest a group of 10 people ... all in our 40's. We are open to anything.

Thanks

Just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Dawn and one of our stops was Samana.We did not have any scheduled tours planned so when we got off the tender and walked to the end of the pier toward shore we saw various taxis selling tours. What I did was let them know where I did not want to go and places we wanted to see. The Taxi drivers are very helpful and curtious. Make sure to ask for one that speaks english and you should be good to go.

We had 5 people in our group for $20.00 /person for 3 hours.

If you are beach people, Cayo Levantado is the place to go.Our group were not beach people so we opted for the land tour on our own.

Some of the cruise members did take the tour with Terry and were not happly due to the fact that the road was flooded and they did not go to the waterfall as planned.

I can't speak for your cruise line, but we had an option of going to Cayo Levantado or Samana or both at no charge.

You will hear at lot of remarks about Samana that there is nothing to do, but if you get a good taxi driver it will be a rewarding trip.

One last thing as a point of interest,when you pull into port, look to the left on the hill and you will see a large resort it is called the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa it is a gated resort and if your taxi driver has connectons he could get you in.We did visit the resort and the view is great.

• 2 weeks later...

We took an ATV trip with Terry's Tours. Terry is absolutely charming and he made sure everything went well. Pablo guided us and was so much fun also. He took us up into the rainforest, through town and brought us to a homemade dinner which was delicious....I've never tasted chicken or fish as good!

He took us through the most beautiful as well as the most impoverished areas and it really opened our eyes up to Samana. No problems with any of the residents there....they were very friendly to us.

Terry also does other tours besides the ATV trips which our friends took and loved.

Don't miss this port!

Barbara

I did the horseback trip (really more mules than horses) to the falls. It was a bit scary, as it rained cats and dogs and the mules have some steep and rather slippery, wet areas to climb. I don't scare easily but this was just a bit too "raw" and wild for me. At one point we forded a stream and the water was up to the top of the mule's legs (and my feet got soaked). We did, however, see an absolutely beautiful area of banana trees and rain forest, with a big waterfall. I still remember coming up across a ridge and seeing it - gorgeous. I messed up my point and shoot camera by taking it out to take a picture in the rain. If you do this trip, I wouldn't do it in the rain. I came back thinking that I should warn the cruise ship that it is dangerous, but I never did. Also, I wouldn't buy the "CD" from the folks there. Mine had a picture of me on the outside but there was no CD of the sights you see inside. I don't think anyone got an actual CD....what a scam.

There's not much at all in Samana, as it's a very poor town, so I'd probably take an excursion. One taxi driver asked if I'd like to go to a beach, but being female and alone, I didn't feel comfortable about that. In the town itself, there is a small waterfront, some stores, and an interesting horse sculpture. There is also the "bridge to nowhere" - although I forget how to get to it! Watch where you walk - streets are in bad shape.

Archived