Kon-Tiki Party Boat

rharvey999

We did Kon Tiki in December 2012. It wasn't great. We spent the first half of the trip just picking up people from other ships. We then sailed over to Honeymoon beach, which was nice. Then on the way back is when it started to get lively but by the time the party got going we were back at our ship. We were the first to be dropped off. We were at the beach maybe 2 hours, if that. Rum punch was $10 all you can drink.

We did Kon Tiki in December 2012. It wasn't great. We spent the first half of the trip just picking up people from other ships. We then sailed over to Honeymoon beach, which was nice. Then on the way back is when it started to get lively but by the time the party got going we were back at our ship. We were the first to be dropped off. We were at the beach maybe 2 hours, if that. Rum punch was $10 all you can drink.
I guess it's a different experience for everyone.

They do pick up guest at a couple spots, we were 1st but it didn't seem to be that inconvenient to us. And, I know the the old ship from "Mutany on the Bounty" is now longer to pass by. But, we did stop at one point and they opened the bottom view windows so we could see the Coral display and beautiful fish. The island wasn't any better a place than other beaches but enjoyable all the same.

I've been on worse and better excursions, but we enjoyed this on for the small price.... I didn't know they had an "all yo9u can drink" rum punch for $10. That must be new. :eek::D

I'd do this one again.:)

• 2 years later...

We really enjoyed our Kon-Tiki tour. It's a must of you have never done it before.

Honeymoon beach is nice, and the steel band and limbo show are a blast. There's about 90minutes beach time, but there is is sunbathing there and back on the upper deck.

The quality of the wreck viewing through the glass tanks is subject to weather and undersea visibility, as are all snorkeling and scuba activities.

Edited by Bollinge

• 2 months later...

We took this excursion a few years ago and absolutely loved it! However, reading recent reviews it looks like a few things have changed.

Do they still have the option to purchase a wrist band to get all you can drink rum punch? How are they doing that now?

I read recently that those who have gone when there are a lot of ships in port have found the excursion to be overly crowded. Has anyone gone recently when there are a lot of ships and experienced that? Our next cruise has 7 ships in port that day.

I have also seen where people were commenting on hamburgers. Is Kon Tiki providing a lunch now? Or were they talking about lunch at the little stand on the island?

Thanks in advance! Have two couples going with us next cruise that have either never cruised or never been to St. Thomas and this particular excursion has been one of our favorites.. kinda want to be sure if we recommend it we are recommending what we think we are recommending. :)

There is still an option to purchase a wrist band for all you can drink rum. The wrist bands are $10. They offer hamburgers, candy, chips and other assorted snacks aboard the Kon Tiki.

You mentioned there are 7 ships in port when you're visiting. What a great way to spend the day aboard the Kon Tiki instead of having to deal with the traffic in St. Thomas which can be a time consuming mess with that many ships.

I wouldn't worry so much about overcrowding since the boat holds 300 and there is always ample seating space both below and on top. Part of what makes this excursion so fun is having a larger crowd.

Thanks!!

I saw a review last year where they stated that the Kon Tiki actually picked up people from a few different ships and it was so crowded that there was no where left to sit by the time they had everyone loaded. With so many ships in port was curious what other's experience was with the excursion when the port was full.

You mentioned there are 7 ships in port when you're visiting. What a great way to spend the day aboard the Kon Tiki instead of having to deal with the traffic in St. Thomas which can be a time consuming mess with that many ships?

This is correct. I believe the record was thirteen ships in one day, many years ago when ships had 800 guests. Now they have up to four or five thousand passengers each and the resulting traffic can be horrendous!

Almost all the shops in town have twin stores on Havensight Mall right next to the ship so you could go on a traffic jam-free party cruise, enjoy some beach time, and shop for jewellery and booze and designer gear afterwards.