Rum to buy in ports?

calex1976

Oh good deal....I can handle a few extra dollars.

Now if only the airlines could be gentle enough to put them in my checked luggage....

I'm so glad I'm driving...lol. But, still wondering how we are going to get 8 or more bottles in our carry on with out beating them up to much. I wonder if Carnival gift shops have a protective wrap for bottles?

A lot of the shops in port will wrap the bottles in bubble wrap, especially if you tell them you're flying. The Tortuga rum store in Nassau had bubble wrap sleeves and the store in Puerto Vallarta that I bought tequila from wrapped the bottle very well in bubble wrap. I flew back home after both cruises with bottles in checked bags and not had a problem. I do pack the bottles in one of those jumbo ziplock backs, though, and pad with soft clothing just to be extra safe.

A lot of the shops in port will wrap the bottles in bubble wrap, especially if you tell them you're flying. The Tortuga rum store in Nassau had bubble wrap sleeves and the store in Puerto Vallarta that I bought tequila from wrapped the bottle very well in bubble wrap. I flew back home after both cruises with bottles in checked bags and not had a problem. I do pack the bottles in one of those jumbo ziplock backs, though, and pad with soft clothing just to be extra safe.

I will ask about bubble wrap at the docks and great idea on using the extra large ziplocks, thanks.

There are a lot of good suggestions on here. The one rum we found that we really liked was in Belize. It is called One Barrel (I think). Only $8 but that was on our first cruise 5 years ago. I haven't been able to find at any other ports we have visited but I may have not looked hard enough. It was the well rum in one of the bar on the pier there. I really liked it and bought 2 bottles but they are long gone. I have been in search ever since with no luck.

There are a lot of good suggestions on here. The one rum we found that we really liked was in Belize. It is called One Barrel (I think). Only $8 but that was on our first cruise 5 years ago. I haven't been able to find at any other ports we have visited but I may have not looked hard enough. It was the well rum in one of the bar on the pier there. I really liked it and bought 2 bottles but they are long gone. I have been in search ever since with no luck.

Hope this helps : )

http://www.onebarrelrum.com/pdf/dealers.pdf

• 1 month later...

I tasted some a few weeks ago in Belize and think it very smooth. The guy offering tastings said the 1 refers to how long it's aged. They also had 3 and 5 I think. I bought some Rompope Rum Cream, Wow, it IS GOOD, $16.us for a 750 ml!!! Went looking today at Total Wine as it is close. They have 3 brands of Rum Cream and I bought what they said is the most popular, Crisma from Barbados, $13. They also have Cruzan usually but sold out today. The One Barrel was pretty cheap and I will probably get 1 in the future--I think $9. I also bought a bunch of sample bottles of spiced rum as I like Capt Morgan, looking forward to sampling some of the others. btw, several months ago I bought spiced rum from Albertson's Grocery here, 1.75 liter house brand for $14. tastes like Captain, try it.

Thanks for all the info on this thread, the ship skipped Grand Cayman or I would have bought more rum. We had 3 bottles, 2-1 liter and a 750--listed all on the customs form, no charges and no problems.

Havana Club rum, available in light and 7 year dark, is a great rum, AND you won't find it in the States. Yes, it is made in Cuba, and Yes, you aren't supposed to bring it back, but I've never had anyone open our boxes of liquor to see where it was from. It has a taste that no other rum has, and will make an awesome authentic mojito...............

We will be traveling to Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios, Jamaica this January. We want to buy a couple bottles of rum to bring home with us. We will be driving home so no problem with bringing it on board a airplane. I have heard many differant stories on the amount we can bring back without paying the extra tax, but can any one sort that out for us, it will be two adults traveling.

We prefer light or gold Rum (spiced gives us both heartburn) either in Coke or straight up. I have heard a lot about Appelton from Jamaica. We would like to find something that is only made in the Islands and not available in America also preferably not extremely expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

Everything you will ever want to know about rum (or rhum) is at http://www.ministryofrum.com . My favorite rum to date is Barbancourt Reserve du Domaine, 15 yr aged Haitian rum. Expensive though, and is available in the US (not always easy to find though). Not for mixing, that's what Bacardi is for!

Just don't get your heart set on Big Black Dick's rum and then have your cruise miss Grand Cayman. In Cozumel by the pier, They slid a red foam plastic webbing type sleeves over our bottles. Just packed them among clothes in checked luggage for our flight home with no problem. Thank the freakin' terrorists for the TSA rules. Costa Maya had a Tequileria where you could sample some expensive tequila; didn't have any rum selection to speak of. I liked shopping for booze in Cozumel but, I'd like to get back down on a Southern Caribbean itinerary to shop for rum.

On our very first cruise, while in MoBay, we tried a Blue Mountain Coffee flavored Cream Rum from Appleton's. It is absolutley wonderful. Goes great in coffee or just sipping over ice. Not very expensive and they have a few other flavors. If we stop there we bring home (4) bottles, everytime. Appleton's have several straight rums as well, very smooth. You can get the rum in the States, but not the Cream Rums. They have tasting at the ports, give it a try.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the great info every one. I ended up with plenty of Sangsters (3 bottles for $32USD) in Ocho Rios, a bottle of Appleton and a bottle of Tortuga Rum. We would of bought more, but we ran out of room:D. Next time I will bring a extra bag just for my alcohol. We bought at Cruise Booze in Ocho and the boxed and taped all our purchases. They are the only place in Jamaica I will buy anything from now on. The shops Carnival recommend charge $28 per bottle of Sangsters.

[quote name='Gatorz']There are a lot of good suggestions on here. The one rum we found that we really liked was in Belize. It is called One Barrel (I think). Only $8 but that was on our first cruise 5 years ago. I haven't been able to find at any other ports we have visited but I may have not looked hard enough. It was the well rum in one of the bar on the pier there. I really liked it and bought 2 bottles but they are long gone. I have been in search ever since with no luck.[/quote]

If all else fails, we are going to Belize in June.....

Archived