Rum to buy in ports?

calex1976

We will be traveling to Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios, Jamaica this January. We want to buy a couple bottles of rum to bring home with us. We will be driving home so no problem with bringing it on board a airplane. I have heard many differant stories on the amount we can bring back without paying the extra tax, but can any one sort that out for us, it will be two adults traveling.

We prefer light or gold Rum (spiced gives us both heartburn) either in Coke or straight up. I have heard a lot about Appelton from Jamaica. We would like to find something that is only made in the Islands and not available in America also preferably not extremely expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

We will be traveling to Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios, Jamaica this January. We want to buy a couple bottles of rum to bring home with us. We will be driving home so no problem with bringing it on board a airplane. I have heard many differant stories on the amount we can bring back without paying the extra tax, but can any one sort that out for us, it will be two adults traveling.

We prefer light or gold Rum (spiced gives us both heartburn) either in Coke or straight up. I have heard a lot about Appelton from Jamaica. We would like to find something that is only made in the Islands and not available in America also preferably not extremely expensive. Anyone have any suggestions?

We all have our preferences I know. Mine is towards the fruity taste. Once in Nassau, there were sample tastings of rum labled OLE NASSAU. My flavor of choice is the mango rum. Could not find it stateside. :eek:

I bought this just over a week ago in Grand Cayman it's $9 a bottle and I can guarantee you, you won't find it on US Shelves:

425688025.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1319376863&Signature=yquCP%2FzW%2FL3StG8XwEez0%2BQ%2B5TI%3D

I only brought back 1 bottle, the lady at Big Black Dick's rum "assured" me that the only thing the US Embargo covered was cigars.

:confused: I should have asked her to provide me with the definition of Embargo.

After talking to other passengers on the ship on our roll call I listed Rum on my customs declaration form, they did not ask from where, and I did not tell from where. If they did ask my response would be Tortola.

Also Big Black Dick's in Grand Cayman isn't available in the US they have many flavors too. It's more acceptable to bring that back through Customs.

As for coming back the disembarkation video on the Legend said 1 liter per person (seriously???????????) I told customs we had 1 or 2 bottles.

Forgetting about the other 6 bottle we had. Oops.

To answer your questions it is typically 1 litre per peson. However, my wife & I usually buy 2 1.75 litres and never have any problem. I don't think you'd have any issues bringing back a couple litres each without paying any additional taxes. We buy our liqour in Grand Cayman at the liquor store just to the left of the tender dock. They will deliver it to the ship for you. We like to buy Appleton Reserve as it's a very smooth rum and can be enjoyed straight. It costs about $35 here in TX but was only $16 in GC when we were there last. Also, if you like an occassional Pina Colada pick up a bottle of Coconut Tortuga Rum as it's 80 proof while most coconut rums are 30-40 proof. Hope this helps.

I bought this just over a week ago in Grand Cayman it's $9 a bottle and I can guarantee you, you won't find it on US Shelves:

425688025.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1319376863&Signature=yquCP%2FzW%2FL3StG8XwEez0%2BQ%2B5TI%3D

I only brought back 1 bottle, the lady at Big Black Dick's rum "assured" me that the only thing the US Embargo covered was cigars.

:confused: I should have asked her to provide me with the definition of Embargo.

After talking to other passengers on the ship on our roll call I listed Rum on my customs declaration form, they did not ask from where, and I did not tell from where. If they did ask my response would be Tortola.

Also Big Black Dick's in Grand Cayman isn't available in the US they have many flavors too. It's more acceptable to bring that back through Customs.

As for coming back the disembarkation video on the Legend said 1 liter per person (seriously???????????) I told customs we had 1 or 2 bottles.

Forgetting about the other 6 bottle we had. Oops.

LOL...I think we can remember that name, great price too. We will look for a bottle or two.

Visit the Tortuga Rum factory in Grand Cayman. http://www.tortugarumcakes.com/site/history.cfm

Thanks for the link, I have had their Rum Cakes before, but not the Rum. Will have to look for some.

To answer your questions it is typically 1 litre per peson. However, my wife & I usually buy 2 1.75 litres and never have any problem. I don't think you'd have any issues bringing back a couple litres each without paying any additional taxes. We buy our liqour in Grand Cayman at the liquor store just to the left of the tender dock. They will deliver it to the ship for you. We like to buy Appleton Reserve as it's a very smooth rum and can be enjoyed straight. It costs about $35 here in TX but was only $16 in GC when we were there last. Also, if you like an occassional Pina Colada pick up a bottle of Coconut Tortuga Rum as it's 80 proof while most coconut rums are 30-40 proof. Hope this helps.

Glad to here there is a store near the dock, we did not want to carry bottles all around the town. I have heard the Appleton is very good and $16 is not a bad price at all. I love Captain Morgans Parrot Bay, but it is a little weak. Looks like Coconut Tortuga Rum might be a much better.

Thanks for the info every one.

In Jamaica they have a rum cream that is amazing!!! You can only get it there. Its called Sangsters. Its similar to Bailey's but rum based. Its a wonderful creamer in your coffee or just straight. Appletons you can buy in the states, get the Sangsters. It comes in different flavors so be sure to sample them all. And don't forget price on everything in Jamaica is negotiable. My DH and I brought back 4 bottles from our last cruise. Sangsters give me a reason to keep cruising because I always need to go back for more.

The cheapest place to buy booze in Ocho Rios is right at the dock at Cruise Booze. I agree with the Sangster's Rum Creme recomendation. It is fantastic. They will let you sample it at Cruise Booze. Also I think they will send it to the ship for you.

I tend to look at stuff and can tell if it is not in us and buy it. I saw a rum from Cuba and avoided it because it was from cuba. But 1 bottle per adult. We had 8 for 2 of us. I put it on the customs form and no one said anything. We were prepared to pay if we had too. Some people do not claim everything. We do, I would rather pay a little tax than get pulled aside and stopped and more hassle for lying.

I work for Customs.

Each person over 21 in your party is allowed a 1 L alcohol duty exemption. Duty on any excess depends on the capacity of the bottle and percentage of alcohol. Duty on wine is 21 cents per liter, harder stuff is a few dollars, depending on alcohol percentage.

Don't lie about how much you have. You might wind up with a hefty fine and they may make you dump it out, whereas they may waive the duty if you're honest (dependent on how much you have, of course).

i can not go to caymen without getting tortuga vanilla rum . if you like vanilla coke or dr pepper you will love this and you cant get it in the us. it is hard to find any vanilla rum in the us. like the other poster said it is about 9.00 a bottle

In Jamaica they have a rum cream that is amazing!!! You can only get it there. Its called Sangsters. Its similar to Bailey's but rum based. Its a wonderful creamer in your coffee or just straight. Appletons you can buy in the states, get the Sangsters. It comes in different flavors so be sure to sample them all. And don't forget price on everything in Jamaica is negotiable. My DH and I brought back 4 bottles from our last cruise. Sangsters give me a reason to keep cruising because I always need to go back for more.

I had heard of a cream sold in Jamaica, but could not remember the name. Thanks, I think Sangsters was it.

I tend to look at stuff and can tell if it is not in us and buy it. I saw a rum from Cuba and avoided it because it was from cuba. But 1 bottle per adult. We had 8 for 2 of us. I put it on the customs form and no one said anything. We were prepared to pay if we had too. Some people do not claim everything. We do, I would rather pay a little tax than get pulled aside and stopped and more hassle for lying.

I will be looking for non-US also. I have not heard of anyone getting in trouble for bringing 4 bottles a piece, as long as it is reported. Sounds like much more and they will start taxing per bottle. We plan on buying 4 per person also.

i can not go to caymen without getting tortuga vanilla rum . if you like vanilla coke or dr pepper you will love this and you cant get it in the us. it is hard to find any vanilla rum in the us. like the other poster said it is about 9.00 a bottle

We will have to try that also, for $9 we cant pass that up. Sounds like it might be good in a after dinner coffee also.

I work for Customs.

Each person over 21 in your party is allowed a 1 L alcohol duty exemption. Duty on any excess depends on the capacity of the bottle and percentage of alcohol. Duty on wine is 21 cents per liter, harder stuff is a few dollars, depending on alcohol percentage.

Don't lie about how much you have. You might wind up with a hefty fine and they may make you dump it out, whereas they may waive the duty if you're honest (dependent on how much you have, of course).

Is there any difference for alcohols that are made locally and not available in the States? Either way we will be buying local whenever we can.

Is there any difference for alcohols that are made locally and not available in the States? Either way we will be buying local whenever we can.
Nope, it's a 1 liter exemption per 21+ adult, regardless of whether it's only available on X island or whether it's commercially available in the U.S.

Nope, it's a 1 liter exemption per 21+ adult, regardless of whether it's only available on X island or whether it's commercially available in the U.S.

Oh ok, I had heard that was a difference once. It does not sound like the extra tax is too much either way. We will just report what we have and pay the tax if they ask. Sounds like the even with the tax the liqueur will still be cheaper and more exotic than I can get in America.

I've never found any really great rum that I can't get in the US. Most 'desitnation' rums are just Captain with an exotic looking logo. I usually just buy still I can find real cheap. As far as duty goes, it's a liter per person, but they won't charge you duty, or even look in your bag, unless you are bringing dozens for bottles.

There was also a brand called Wray & Nephew Rum Cream in Montego Bay Jamaica ~ we bought small bottles (200ml) and brought them on the ship, but one in my purse and took it to dinner and added it to our coffee~~ yummy!!!

runcream.jpg

Also if you go to Mexico look for the Coconut Creme Tequila~ OMG soooo yummy~!! They only sell it in Mexico, got it for $19 in Cozumel~

coconutequila.jpg

The limit is one liter (not bottle) per person, however customs usually waves you through if you have three or four per person, just be sure and declare it. The extra tax is a whopping $3 or $4 so it is not a big deal either way.

Captain Morgan 1680 :) canot find it in the states and price runs about $10.00 a bottle! The rum is black like Tattoo. Pretty good stuff!;)

There was also a brand called Wray & Nephew Rum Cream in Montego Bay Jamaica ~ we bought small bottles (200ml) and brought them on the ship, but one in my purse and took it to dinner and added it to our coffee~~ yummy!!!

runcream.jpg

Also if you go to Mexico look for the Coconut Creme Tequila~ OMG soooo yummy~!! They only sell it in Mexico, got it for $19 in Cozumel~

coconutequila.jpg

I'm getting a good list together now for different drinks to pick up, thanks every one.

Archived