Taieri Gorge Rail Trip, DUNEDIN

There is another excusion train called the "Seasider" which departs Dunedin RS and follows the coast to Palmerston (I think it is) It leaves Dunedin RS at 0930 and returns at 1330. Dont know the cost but it is cheaper than the Taieri trip. You should be able to book on line at taieri.co.nz the same as booking the Taieri trip.

I would also imagine that the same green bus that takes the Taieri people to Dunedin would take the "Seasider" people as well.

We found on our last trip that the green bus was down towards the end of the pier near the big shed but there were plenty of volunteers who directed us where to go to get the bus.

The other point about the "Seasider" is that it doesnt run every day so you would have to check when booking on line to see if it is running on the day your ship is in port.

John

Hi John, We are on the Seasider on our NYE cruise. We have done Middlemarch twice and once all the way up to Pukerangi. We are looking forward to the Seasider for a change. I just email Murray and tell him how many of us there will be - usually half the roll call:)

You are right about Ralph's bus.

Cheers

Di

We bought the train tickets direct and then booked a strect limo to take us into the station from the dock. Volendam arrived late and we missed the train. Had to chase it up the gorge in our limo, catching up at the halfway point much to the astonishment of the locals at seeing a strech pull up beside the train. Was quite fun but did cost us $200 extra to get the limo to chase the train.

Hi John, We are on the Seasider on our NYE cruise. We have done Middlemarch twice and once all the way up to Pukerangi. We are looking forward to the Seasider for a change. I just email Murray and tell him how many of us there will be - usually half the roll call:)

You are right about Ralph's bus.

Cheers

Di

Middle March is further than Pukerangi, and trains go all the way there less often: http://www.taieri.co.nz/map.htm

The ship booked trains only go as far as Puckerangi. The privately booked trains usually go to Middlemarch and pass the ship train at Puckerangi.

There is a pub and a couple of shops and bakery at Middlemarch where you can get some lunch. The train stops there for an hour before returning to Dunedin

John

The ship booked trains only go as far as Puckerangi. The privately booked trains usually go to Middlemarch and pass the ship train at Puckerangi.

There is a pub and a couple of shops and bakery at Middlemarch where you can get some lunch. The train stops there for an hour before returning to Dunedin

John

Hi John, not quite true as it depends entirely on the timetable put out by Taieri. Sometimes both trains only go as far as Puckerangi. This happened on our trip last year.

The timetable itinerary is not put out especially for cruise ships. The only deviation is when a ship is in, one train will start and finish at Port Chalmers. If there are 2 ships in port then private bookings can't be made as both trains will be booked by the ships.

NancyIL. I think Di just made a typo.

Hugh

Hi John, not quite true as it depends entirely on the timetable put out by Taieri. Sometimes both trains only go as far as Puckerangi. This happened on our trip last year.

The timetable itinerary is not put out especially for cruise ships. The only deviation is when a ship is in, one train will start and finish at Port Chalmers. If there are 2 ships in port then private bookings can't be made as both trains will be booked by the ships.

NancyIL. I think Di just made a typo.

:

Hugh

Yes, Di reversed the two.

According to the summer schedule, the train goes to Middle March only on Fridays and Sundays.

Edited by NancyIL

Just as a matter of interest...Just on the outskirts of Middlemarch is a nudist colony, fairly close to the railway line but behind a big hedge. On our way back in the train the carriage bloke told everyone to look out of the left hand side of the train for the hedge where the nudist colony was but he didnt expect any of the "nature people" to be visible. Lo and behold three of them were walking along the track next to the railway line with a wheelbarrow with all of their "Jewels" open to the view of everyone. You should have heard the whistles and catcalls coming from every carriage as the train passed them. The "nature people" didnt bat an eyelid (or anything else either) and waved cheerfully to everyone on the train. It made our day.

John

• 2 years later...

We're leaning toward the deluxe ticket. Just wanted to say we take the Silver Vista car on the Durango/Silverton Train in Colorado, US. Just checked prices, it's $90 higher than coach. We got a wonderful view, drinks, snacks, but no lunch. I do wish I could find some photos of the coach seats compared to the deluxe seats.

Edited by knittinggirl

T poker the Taheri trip from Duneidin off the Noordam..the scenery was stunning..We took the upgraded pkg. and found the service was great.The lunch wasn't, anything to write home about but all in all it was a great day and we would do it again

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were in Dunedin in March and visited the Dunedin Train Station. There were signs up everywhere for a train trip back to the ship for $50 leaving at 3pm. So if you wish to spend the day in Dunedin visiting the Cadbury Factory, Speights Brewery etc you can still take the train back to the ship.

Edited by Billy and Charlie's Mum

The lunch wasn't, anything to write home about

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tripadvisor has some photos of what I think is the deluxe ticket lunch. I hope we don't need to visit the cafe car. In Durango, our first class ticket didn't include any lunch. We did get morning danish though.

We were in Dunedin in March and visited the Dunedin Train Station. There were signs up everywhere for a train trip back to the ship for $50 leaving at 3pm. So if you wish to spend the day in Dunedin visiting the Cadbury Factory' date=' Speights Brewery etc you can still take the train back to the ship.[/quote']

You can also catch the local bus from the City back to Port Chalmers which leaves from across the road from the Cadburys factory.