Fajardo Bio Bay

annedar

For those who have done the Bio Bay in Fajardo-

I'm trying to get an idea if doing the tour at 6 will give us plenty of time to get back to port. By my time estimations, it should (about hour car ride back plus 1 1/2-2 hour tour). We sail out at 11pm. If you have done the tour, what time did you arrive back in San Juan?

Well, I did the tour from San Juan in September, and traffic was so bad, it took us about 2 hours or more to get back. They were doing spot checks for license, registration, etc, so traffic just crawled. Traffic was also congested going, and I felt rushed after we got there. I was staying on land for a few days before my cruise, so I didn't have to worry about boarding the ship.

I'd love to hear how others who may have done this when the ship was in port. It seems pretty risky to me, because it's pretty far, and anything can happen.

I'm trying to get an idea if doing the tour at 6 will give us plenty of time to get back to port. By my time estimations, it should (about hour car ride back plus 1 1/2-2 hour tour). We sail out at 11pm. If you have done the tour, what time did you arrive back in San Juan?

I think it is too risky- you have to be back at the ship by 10:30pm. You finish the tour about 8:30-8:45pm or so. If there is no problem (traffic or car trouble, rental return problem etc), you can make it. But if there is a problem......

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC we were back onboard just after 10 pm for a 11 pm sail-away. I would not do this excursion other than through the ship, too risky to miss it. (We were on HAL)

I too did this excursion through the ship because I did not want to take the chance. We left the dock area around 4:30 and were back to the ship around 10:15. We had good traffic (about 1.5 hrs out and 1 hr back), with very little down time, maybe 20 wasted minutes at the end of the trip while we were waiting for people to get back on the bus after changing into dry clothes.

We went to the Bio Bay in Vieques post cruise. We rented a car and drove to Fajardo ourselves. The drive from San Juan to Fajardo was 1 1/2 hours each way. We didn't get back to our hotel that night until 12:30 a.m. If you are not going to the Bio Bay in Vieques, you will save some travelling time (you won't need to take the ferry from Fajardo to Vieques), but you will still have to make the 1 1/2 hour trek back to San Juan. Since you ship sets sail at 11 pm, there is always the risk that you may not make it back in time.

This is the only excursion I've ever done through the ship and was glad I did. We didn't arrive back until about 20 mins before sailing and if I had been on a private tour it would have been very stressful thinking we would be left behind.

You will get somewhat wet no matter what if you are kayaking as we did. It was a few years ago, but there was a place to get changed afterwards so definitely bring a change of clothes.

Archived