Round the World Cruise and Visas

Scrapnana

Hi Kathi,

ZVS contacted us yesterday to indicate India consulate will not accept our firms with P.O. Boxes. We needed to redo the forms with our physical addresses and include copies of our leases.

Yes I have about 10 individual formal dresses. I attend Rotary balls every December so I had a few and I know I will have use for the new ones.

My friend has several dressy pants and about 5 formal gowns. Given that we will be onboard most or all of the 108 days( we are wait listed for an overland excursion in China) we feel the investment is worthwhile.

Kit

Hi Kathi,

ZVS contacted us yesterday to indicate India consulate will not accept our firms with P.O. Boxes. We needed to redo the forms with our physical addresses and include copies of our leases.

Yes I have about 10 individual formal dresses. I attend Rotary balls every December so I had a few and I know I will have use for the new ones.

My friend has several dressy pants and about 5 formal gowns. Given that we will be onboard most or all of the 108 days( we are wait listed for an overland excursion in China) we feel the investment is worthwhile.

Kit

Kit,

I have no problem buying the clothes (I still like playing dress-up) just figuring out how to get 100+ days of clothes into 2 suitcases. I know everyone says to lay out what you want to take and then cut it in half but I have visions of getting so tired of the same clothes again and again and again that I end up tossing them all overboard!

Kathi

Hi Kathi,

Well American Airlines permits 3 free checked bags for my flights so that allotment exceeds my wardrobe. I have purchased some clothes and I plan to discard a few items along the way. Finally there is the option of shopping around the globe. I do not plan or lay out my clothes in real life so I'm not going to start for this trip.

Kit

Hi Kathi,

I plan to bring 8-10 pair of shoes as well. I purchased a shoe holder that I intend to attach to the wall with command removable hooks and magnets. I think it will look good on the curved wall outside of the closet area.

Kit

In answer to several questions. On India visa. I sent email to zvs who never returned with an answer, so I called. I asked them for info on a zip code and explained I had googled the Port Cochin and there were about 10 zipcodes. I was told to just pick one, so I did. I sent my paperwork to zvs this week and have already had contact with them, and they have not questioned the zipcode. On evening wear, if you plan to go to all the formal nights which I believe on all the cruises is 2 a week you will need quite a few, I however like to dress up nightly but will only attend 1 formal a week, therefor I plan to take 6 formal dresses and wear them twice. Shoes is my downfall, I have to plan around how many I can take. If any of you are on the QE World Cruise 2012, please let me know. We join it in New York to Southampton.

Travel1887,

Hope you have a fabulous cruise. I won't be going for a couple more years (I don't retire until next year) so I haven't started thinking about shoes yet. I still need to get a few more formal outfits and figure out what will go with what. I read on some thread that there was something like 50 formal nights on the round the world cruise. My formal outfits will have to be recycled numerous times!

In regards to the visa, I am not surprised that they were not too picky about the zipcode. Did the visa service say how long before you got back your passport? I live about two hours from D.C. and can't decide if I want to drive up there and get my visa in person (I've done that a couple of times) or just pay the money and let the service get it for me.

Kathi

Kathi,

Are you going to India? Is it part of an itinerary you are booked on or looking at?

Kit

Kit,

Yes, the two main cruise lines I'm looking at (and can afford) both go to India. As I have never been to India it is something I would like to do but from all I've read it is the most expensive and time consuming visa to get.

You inspired me to go shopping today. I now have another formal, semiformal and skirt (which depending on the top - yet to be purchased) could go either way. I also found a good deal on a pair of shoes. My suitcase is filling quickly!

Kathi

Hi Travel 1887,

My China visas have been granted and my India ones are in process.

Kit

Kit,

That sounds like they are going to get everything done in the 21 days they promised. Your voyage is getting so close. I hope you have a fantastic journey!

Kathi

In advance of the Queen Elizabeth World Cruise 2012 I have just secured Indian visas for my wife & I. Cunard, through TLCS, requested a fee of GBP 109.64 each + an extra cost for the use of a courier. By making personal representation to the London based agents for the Indian Government, UFS-IVAC, the two visas were secured within two days at a total cost of GBP 101.60, including courier charges. Service was excellent & staff most helpful. I am UK based.

Our China and India visas are complete, and our e-tickets are printed. We are just about ready to go.

Kit

I notice that you speak of American Airlines as part of your travel plans, haven't they just filed Chapter 11 in USA? Will this affect you? Please be assured that I am not scaremongering but just raising the issue. I know that their public announcements state that it is business as usual but no-one normally files Chapter 11 unless they are in financial problems.

I notice that you speak of American Airlines as part of your travel plans, haven't they just filed Chapter 11 in USA? Will this affect you? Please be assured that I am not scaremongering but just raising the issue. I know that their public announcements state that it is business as usual but no-one normally files Chapter 11 unless they are in financial problems.

According to our reports, they are not currently at a crisis point, but are doing this for their long term survival. I think every US international airline has been through this but it's a furst fir AA,

Roy

Hi Captn,

I am not worried. I am flying out of warm weather airports and have allotted a few extra days just in case. Thank you for thinking of me. I heard snippets of news that many in England/London are on strike. Is that happening or has the strike been avoided?

Kit

Just been reading through this thread... we did the QM2 World Cruise in 2010; you can spend as much or as little as you want! It's easy - with a little effort - and cheaper to sort out visas, so long as you allow enough time. It seems a little daunting to have 45/50 formal nights but I bought most of my outfits (carefully!) on ebay or in charity/consignment stores - specially in the 'vintage' sections! And, frankly, everyone's so concerned with their own appearance that nobody will notice if you wear the same dress on seven evenings (and of course they'll be spread out!) The Canyon Ranch options were a great choice for me, so no weight gain - just decide on your limits (in all areas), go for it and enjoy the experience of a lifetime!

Hi Captn,

I am not worried. I am flying out of warm weather airports and have allotted a few extra days just in case. Thank you for thinking of me. I heard snippets of news that many in England/London are on strike. Is that happening or has the strike been avoided?

Kit

There is a lot of unrest fuelled by the cuts that this Government are making to their spending, this is a result of the global recession combined with the terrible financial state that the last government left the country in. There was a strike last week but it was really a damp squib rather than the great walk out that was predicted. I am sure that it will be repeated in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Please do trust those who tell you to pack less. We sat next to 2 other couples for the entire 94 days we were onboard, and no one cared how often they wore the same thing. We love to dance, so I had 4 long outfits, 3 short dresses, and several tops with 2 pairs of dressy slacks that served both for formal and semi-formal. For daytime, I carried less than for evenings, so I wore 1 skirt, 3 pairs of pants a lot, one pair of wool pants for the very few cold stops and 2 sweaters, which stayed in the suitcase under the bed except 6 days. I had one pair of nice shorts, and 3 exercise outfits as I work out 5 days a week. We did laundry every 4-5 days or took advantage of the laundry sale where you could have everything you could put in a bag washed and ironed. I had touring shoes, 2 pair of shoes for daytime onboard, 3 pair of evening shoes because we dance almost nightly, and my exercise shoes which are mesh and light weight. One sweater for daytime and one wrap for evening.

I bought hangers that held multiple slacks and multiple shirts for both of us, as closet is tiny. Brought a cheap shoe bag to go inside closet door, used for shoes, hose, socks, etc.

We had a sizable shipboard credit, prepaid gratuities included in price we paid. We did very few excursions, as we prefer to go on our own. I keep very good records, and our total including a lot of dry cleaning, 1-2 glasses of wine a day for me, some excursions, lunches and transporation on days on our own, a few gifts, drugstore and wine purchases in ports, some extra tips and car service to airport in England, etc. came to just over $5,000 for 94 days. I'm sure it could be done for less, or it could cost quite a bit more if you do a lot of excursions.

The visas were not included in above, as it will vary by itinerary. It definitely is cheaper to shop around for services near your city than using Cunard's provider.

It will be the trip of a lifetime.

Please do trust those who tell you to pack less. We sat next to 2 other couples for the entire 94 days we were onboard, and no one cared how often they wore the same thing. We love to dance, so I had 4 long outfits, 3 short dresses, and several tops with 2 pairs of dressy slacks that served both for formal and semi-formal. For daytime, I carried less than for evenings, so I wore 1 skirt, 3 pairs of pants a lot, one pair of wool pants for the very few cold stops and 2 sweaters, which stayed in the suitcase under the bed except 6 days. I had one pair of nice shorts, and 3 exercise outfits as I work out 5 days a week. We did laundry every 4-5 days or took advantage of the laundry sale where you could have everything you could put in a bag washed and ironed. I had touring shoes, 2 pair of shoes for daytime onboard, 3 pair of evening shoes because we dance almost nightly, and my exercise shoes which are mesh and light weight. One sweater for daytime and one wrap for evening.

I bought hangers that held multiple slacks and multiple shirts for both of us, as closet is tiny. Brought a cheap shoe bag to go inside closet door, used for shoes, hose, socks, etc.

We had a sizable shipboard credit, prepaid gratuities included in price we paid. We did very few excursions, as we prefer to go on our own. I keep very good records, and our total including a lot of dry cleaning, 1-2 glasses of wine a day for me, some excursions, lunches and transporation on days on our own, a few gifts, drugstore and wine purchases in ports, some extra tips and car service to airport in England, etc. came to just over $5,000 for 94 days. I'm sure it could be done for less, or it could cost quite a bit more if you do a lot of excursions.

The visas were not included in above, as it will vary by itinerary. It definitely is cheaper to shop around for services near your city than using Cunard's provider.

It will be the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks for your experiences with clothes and budget. I would love to think I could pack so light. When it comes to the final packing I hope I will be able to leave quite a bit at home!

Kathi

Archived