Round the World Cruise and Visas

Scrapnana

For anyone who has recently done the round the world cruise or are going in January -- I know Cunard lets you know which countries require visas and which must be obtained in advance. Did you acquire the visas on your own or use a service? How long did it take to get all of them ? How difficult was it get the visas? Pros and Cons of doing it yourself versus having a service? Cost?

TIA.

Kathi

Cunard recommends Zeirer Visa Service (http://www.zvs.com). We have taken a couple of world cruises and their service has been excellent each time. You mail in your visa forms and your credit card number and they will return it via Fedex approximately 3 weeks later. An important thing to remember is if you are going to India, China or Brazil and will have two or more stops in any of those countries, you need to have a multiple entry visa. I don't recall the costs for Zeirer's service but you can get the costs of the visas from the zvs website.

The ship will get visas for Vietnam and Egypt while you are on board if those are on your itinerary.

For anyone who has recently done the round the world cruise or are going in January -- I know Cunard lets you know which countries require visas and which must be obtained in advance. Did you acquire the visas on your own or use a service? How long did it take to get all of them ? How difficult was it get the visas? Pros and Cons of doing it yourself versus having a service? Cost?

TIA.

Kathi

You can obtain a multi-entry visa for India here: https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/homepage Fill out the online application send in your passports and it takes about a week to get them back. If going to China we made two trips to the Chinese Embassy in NYC for dropping and picking passport’s up. Australian visa is electronically done by Cunard or yourself. http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ . Call Cunard to see if they will obtain Australian Visa for you. Don’t remember the cost but you will save quite a bit of money by obtaining the visa’s yourself. The rest of the visa’s needed for other countries are obtained onboard and fees are posted to your onboard account. Have Fun!!

It is obviously convenient to use Cunard's people to get visas for you, but also much more expensive. I am on the Queen Elizabeth 2012 World Cruise & find that there is a considerable saving in obtaining an Indian Visa direct from the authorities. Check out the official Indian Government website & compare prices!

It is obviously convenient to use Cunard's people to get visas for you, but also much more expensive. I am on the Queen Elizabeth 2012 World Cruise & find that there is a considerable saving in obtaining an Indian Visa direct from the authorities. Check out the official Indian Government website & compare prices!

Yep - we are getting our own, do they think we are made of money.

David.

The official Cunard agent in the UKcharges £32 - each passenger - to get the Australian E Visa.

You can get it for free from the officlal Australian Immigration site!

Don't waste money.

Look at it this way you could buy two bottles of wine on board with your savings!

Navylark

Round the World Cruise

When I booked sectors (Hong Kong-Dubai) of the Queen Elizabeth 2012 World Cruise (via a travel agent) some months ago I requested that I be permitted to leave earlier to enable me to spend three nights in Hong Kong assuming that I would be funding two of them at my own expense the third being already included in the fare package. I was referred to the hotel listed in the Cunard brochure which gives prices for additional nights & advised that I would be contacted again nearer the time. Flights were however rearranged by the agent to cover the request. I wrote to the agent confirming my understanding of the agreement.

The agent has now advised that he has been advised that if I still wish to spend three nights there they will all have to be at my expense & that no allowance can be made for the night there prior to departure. Also the hotel listed in the brochure does not apply in my case & hotels are normally allocated to passengers “near the airport” depending on availability.

What do members think of this?

Hi,

Sorry to move away from topic, but I am extremely interested in doing a world cruise, and my hubby and I are saving madly to do this when we retire in 3 years. I must admit not to even think about visas so will bear this in mind. I hope that no one finds my post offensive but we are trying to find out how much we need to save. We can obviously work out how much we need to save for the cruise, but don't really know how much we would need to budget for spending........I realise that this is purely a rough guide bearing in mind that individuals spend more on drinks etc than others, but if anyone could give me a really rough guide then I would really appreciate it. This is going to be a holiday in a lifetime for us so dont want to be watching the pennies. Again I apologise for hijacking the thread and hope that no one is offended by my question.

Thanks

We too are on the Queen Elizabeth 2012:) World Cruise, Sydney to Dubai Sector and would also need a multi entry visa for India. We have been advised to request a visa for a double entry and that the authorities must not stamp on the visa/passport "no 2 month stop" as we will be stopping twice in India (Mumbai & Cochin) within the 2 month period. Would be interested to know how your visa for India reads.

I do believe that Cunard will arrange our visas for Vietnam on board so are more concerned about the new rules for India. Would like to hear from you or anyone who has any experience in this department.

Many thanks

I called ZVS services today to discuss visa requirements for China and India. I was informed that their are reduced rates for Cunard passengers. ZVS sent me a PDF for the two visas and I am comfortable paying the rate quoted to avoid any complications. If I lived on the mainland I would probably go to the embassy's myself, however living in Hawaii has some limitations. Not that I'm complaining that's just the way it is.

Kit

Hi,

Sorry to move away from topic, but I am extremely interested in doing a world cruise, and my hubby and I are saving madly to do this when we retire in 3 years. I must admit not to even think about visas so will bear this in mind. I hope that no one finds my post offensive but we are trying to find out how much we need to save. We can obviously work out how much we need to save for the cruise, but don't really know how much we would need to budget for spending........I realise that this is purely a rough guide bearing in mind that individuals spend more on drinks etc than others, but if anyone could give me a really rough guide then I would really appreciate it. This is going to be a holiday in a lifetime for us so dont want to be watching the pennies. Again I apologise for hijacking the thread and hope that no one is offended by my question.

Thanks

L&S,

As the OP I take no offense (I've been saving madly to do this trip when I retire, also). Actually, it is something I have been wondering myself. You know the cost of the cruise but there are so many incidentals that add up quickly that often you don't even think about until somebody mentions them -- cost of getting to port, staying a night before, maybe after cruise, cost of items on board, cost of optional excursions, visas, travel insurance, etc, etc, etc. I would really be interested to hear what percent (if people don't want to give dollar/pound amounts) of the cost of the actual cruise was needed. I'm guessing at least 25%. I hope we get some replies - if not we can start a new thread.

Kathi

Hi Kathi

Thanks so much for your reply. As you say its the incidiental which add up and which we are sure to forget about. We actually thought that it would be more than 25% , more likely to be 50% and if its any more than that then it may be out of our reach. We sailed on the QE2 several years ago and ended up spending more than 50% of the cruise cost, but we did do excursions in every port.

Also, clothes??? How many evening dresses can we manage with. OMG the packing will be endless. I am sure that you will have a marvellous time and I really envy you.

Perhaps we will get some replies to all our questions. Thanks again for letting me ask these questions.

Linda

I would guess that a daily spend of $50 per person should cover most costs, obviously this is an average and some days will be higher and some lower. I have never done a world cruise but do know from anecdotal evidence that the spend is less per day than on a shorter cruise or a transatlantic crossing.

Regarding evening wear, there has been plenty of discussion on these boards and it seems that sound advice would include taking one or two plain long skirts and different tops and scarves to ring the changes.

Other sage advice has historically been to take half the clothes and twice the money.

Well I think carefully planning incidentals such as searching for clothes on sale, select excursions, and informed discussions about sales on services, obc, fair reduction if the price drops, using air fair miles ect... Helps to counter costs. Also another consideration is my regular expenditures on food, clothes, and gas ect.. Offsets the expense.

So although I may spend 30-40% of the cost of my cruise, I also augment my wardrobe and experience. It is worth it all to me, even ironically the budgeting experience is beneficial.

Kit

TIA.

Kathi

I am a US citizen and am joining QE World Cruise 2012 in NY. I just talked to customer service at CIBT, she sent me [via email] the 'Kit" that Cunard sends to them. The only visa we have to get prior is for India. Vietnam UAE,Oman,Egypt and Jordan are provided onboard. They suggested I contact Cundard re: Australia ETA, but you can get that on-line and it is about $30-$40. The India one for two people is $297. So if you live close to an Embassy you may could do yourself, however we live to far, so not cost effective. Hope this info helps.

I would guess that a daily spend of $50 per person should cover most costs, obviously this is an average and some days will be higher and some lower. I have never done a world cruise but do know from anecdotal evidence that the spend is less per day than on a shorter cruise or a transatlantic crossing.

Regarding evening wear, there has been plenty of discussion on these boards and it seems that sound advice would include taking one or two plain long skirts and different tops and scarves to ring the changes.

Other sage advice has historically been to take half the clothes and twice the money.

Thanks for the advice there Capnpugwash. I also like the advice about taking half the clothes and twice the money, but my husband, being a Yorkshire man would probably have to disagree.!! Looks like there is quite a bit of saving to do.

Thanks everyone

Dear Capnpugwash:

I greatly enjoy and appreciate your many extremely informative and entertaining posts; I truly do. And from your blog, I gather your background includes some degree of contact with the corporate world. So I will forgive you the use of "spend" as a noun, this time. Just please be aware that some may perceive it as characteristic of a certain sort of person whose manners you might not wish to emulate. :D

I offer this in the kindest possible way.

Next, someone will be using "price point" when simply "price" is meant... :eek:

I am a US citizen and am joining QE World Cruise 2012 in NY. I just talked to customer service at CIBT, she sent me [via email] the 'Kit" that Cunard sends to them. The only visa we have to get prior is for India. Vietnam UAE,Oman,Egypt and Jordan are provided onboard. They suggested I contact Cundard re: Australia ETA, but you can get that on-line and it is about $30-$40. The India one for two people is $297. So if you live close to an Embassy you may could do yourself, however we live to far, so not cost effective. Hope this info helps.

Also for the Australian ETA, I could not find a free website, but did find a website for $12.93 or 8.50 gbp. www.australianonlinevisas.com I completed request today and within hours was approved.

Also for the Australian ETA, I could not find a free website, but did find a website for $12.93 or 8.50 gbp. www.australianonlinevisas.com I completed request today and within hours was approved.

We have gotten several ETA's for Australia over the years.

This is the web site we have used.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

It's the official government web site.

Keith

Cunard recommends Zeirer Visa Service (www.zvs.com). We have taken a couple of world cruises and their service has been excellent each time. You mail in your visa forms and your credit card number and they will return it via Fedex approximately 3 weeks later. An important thing to remember is if you are going to India, China or Brazil and will have two or more stops in any of those countries, you need to have a multiple entry visa. I don't recall the costs for Zeirer's service but you can get the costs of the visas from the zvs website.

The ship will get visas for Vietnam and Egypt while you are on board if those are on your itinerary.

We are using www.zvs.com through Cunard. I am working on an Indian visa and has reached a stumbling block. Hopefully you can help me. When they ask for a residence in India, I read instructions and used QE . Cochin Terminal but it asks for a postal code??? I googled but it gave me multiple choices, so am at a stopping point. Can you let me know what you filled in for that. thanks

We are using www.zvs.com through Cunard. I am working on an Indian visa and has reached a stumbling block. Hopefully you can help me. When they ask for a residence in India, I read instructions and used QE . Cochin Terminal but it asks for a postal code??? I googled but it gave me multiple choices, so am at a stopping point. Can you let me know what you filled in for that. thanks

Call ZVS tomorrow. If this is through Cunard they should give you a local address to use.

On our cruise to India with Crystal the visa service we used provided a nice sample with that information already pre printed which included the address to use.

Keith

Call ZVS tomorrow. If this is through Cunard they should give you a local address to use.

On our cruise to India with Crystal the visa service we used provided a nice sample with that information already pre printed which included the address to use.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I have already sent an email to ZVS so hopefully will hear from them tomorrow. Norma

I called ZVS when I was filling out my India/China visas and asked them about the zip code for the address when in India. I was instructed to just put in that I will be traveling on QM2. I tried that and found that I needed to input a 6 digit number. I put in Cunard's address and added a 0. I sent them out last Friday. I am wondering when they say the visas will be processed in 21 days do they mean 21 business days?

Kit

I called ZVS when I was filling out my India/China visas and asked them about the zip code for the address when in India. I was instructed to just put in that I will be traveling on QM2. I tried that and found that I needed to input a 6 digit number. I put in Cunard's address and added a 0. I sent them out last Friday. I am wondering when they say the visas will be processed in 21 days do they mean 21 business days?

Kit

I'll be interested to see if anyone questions your made up zip code. I have a feeling that as long as they get your money they likely don't care. I wonder if you could have put the postal code for the HQ of Cunard in Britain?

I noticed on another thread you said you were taking 10 formal outfits for your world cruise. I was thinking of 5 so maybe I need to do some shopping! Are your 10 totally different or a mix and match type of thing?

Kathi

Archived