Westerdam V. Zuiderdam

kfrost72

Other than potential itinerary, is there much difference between these ships?

The color of the decor is about it. Though we did find the main dining room food on the Zuiderdam to be consistently the best we have experienced on any HAL ship so far: every course and every meal were home runs.

We thought the Zuiderdam looked garish in her photos on the HAL website but in fact she felt richer and more elegant with her dark burgundies, purples reds and dark paneled walls.

We went on both of them within months of each other, and basically the same ports. Can't put our finger on it but for some reason we liked the Zuidy better. Service, food, etc. were great on both. You can't go wrong.

I have been on the Zuiderdam, Westerdam and Oosterdam. The ships are almost identical from my point of view. An interior decorator may strongly disagree, but I am the type who just doesn't care too much about interior wall colors and such.

Any differences in food or service would be a function of ship personnel and not the ship itself.

Now and then a room is changed or moved to another part of the ship, but if you have been on one Vista class ship then you have seen what they are all like.

igraf

Other than potential itinerary, is there much difference between these ships?

I have been on the Zuiderdam, Westerdam and Oosterdam. The ships are almost identical from my point of view. An interior decorator may strongly disagree, but I am the type who just doesn't care too much about interior wall colors and such.

Any differences in food or service would be a function of ship personnel and not the ship itself.

Now and then a room is changed or moved to another part of the ship, but if you have been on one Vista class ship then you have seen what they are all like.

igraf

All Vista ships are pretty much the same except the Noordam which is in a classy class all by itself. Most often made comment is they finally got everything right when they got to the Noordam.

All Vista ships are pretty much the same except the Noordam which is in a classy class all by itself. Most often made comment is they finally got everything right when they got to the Noordam.

What's different that makes the NOORDAM better?

John

Here is a link to the thread mentioned....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1507784

Hobbsey: Thanks for th link. I've been off the boards for several days tending DBIL's ranch in NorCal.

I was wondering about why Noordam excelled because my last cruise was on WESTERDAM and I was somewhat under impressed. The W lacked memorable art and just didn't seem as classy as VEENDAM or ROTTERDAM. Crew service met HAL standards but didn't excell like other cruises I've been on. After sailing on the W, my thought was to focus on the R and S ships and the PRINCECENDAM before doing a Vista class again. Thanks for the input, I'll reconsider with the N.

John

Archived