? For those who recommend Panoramic room at IC

Familygoboston

Ok- I'm back with another IC in Tahiti question. We were thinking of staying two days pre cruise for the $180 pp offer through PG. So on the advice of so many of you, I asked my TA to price out the same package through PG, but in the Panoramic room...and she came up with $170 pp for th 2 days.:confused: Now I'm worried the Panoramic room is not an upgrade or better than the original? How can it be 10 less and be better? Any thoughts?

WHOA! No, that does not make sense to me. We were planning on using our Ambassador Club membership to upgrade to the Panoramic room, but if you can get it without the membership, for $10 LESS...that's bizarre.

I'm contacting my TA to find out if she can get that for us.

Having been to the IC Papeete, I promise you the Panoramic rooms are WAY better than the basic Ocean View rooms. To see what I mean, check out the room descriptions on this link.

Note the descriptions of the two different types of rooms:

Ocean View: The hotel offers 165 rooms in its main buildings, showcasing three different categories :

18 Standard Rooms.

62 Garden View Rooms with a view of the colorful tropical gardens.

85 Lagoon View Rooms (two of them wheelchairs accessible) offering a superb view of the lagoon and Tahiti's sister island Moorea. [<-- these are the ones that you get from the PG pre-cruise package]

These rooms all boast a spacious 307 square feet, plus the balcony, and feature either a king-size bed or two twin beds.Maximum occupancy is 2 adults + 1 child (for children under 15 years, roll-away beds and cribs are available upon request).

Panoramic: Situated in the hotel's main buildings, the Panoramic rooms are the most spacious (covering 414 square feet - 38.5 square meters, plus the balcony), and feature either a King-sized bed or two Queen-sized.

We have 30 Panoramic rooms in each of the two buildings and they all offer a breathtaking view of the Lotus infinity pool, the lagoon and Tahiti's sister island Moorea.

These rooms, as well as our overwater bungalows remain honeymooners' top choice.

I communicated directly with the IC, and they told me that we get the Lagoon View basic room with the PG package, and can upgrade to the Panoramic Room with the Ambassador Club membership. But if we can get the Panoramic Room from the PG, then we should be able to upgrade to the next level UP from there with our membership, which would be an Overwater Bungalow!

I would check with your TA to find out EXACTLY WHICH ROOM you are getting for that $170...

Hi Familygobotson.

We have stayed in both types over the years.

Remember the hotel was formally a Travelodge and the regular rooms are the old travelodge ones.

There is a map of the hotel site on the website of the hotel. You will see the location of the Panoramic rooms to the left of the property in front of the infinity pool. I like the location as well as the size of these rooms. They are very comfortable.

Some of the regular rooms havent really been renovated and are shabby however the panoramic rooms are newed and usually well maintained. I like that they are off the beaten track.

The hotel will give you a place to shower and change on the last day which is convenient in case you want to use the pool after check out .

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, clearly my TA heard $170- but the actual cost for the Panoramic Room at the IC through PG is $117 (per person per night) or $234 for 2 nights pp vs $180 for 2 nghts pp standard room) on my invoice. ( she sent me an email, so I can't blame my bad ears for this one!)

So while I ...ummm...would have liked to have the right info from the start:rolleyes:, this upgrade cost is still worth it to us...$360 for the regular room vs $470 for the upgrade (she had to email them and PG had to confirm with IC to confirm that room before they put it on the invoice). Essentially $110 extra to have the Panoramic Room... probably not enough of an impact for those of you with Ambassadors Club though.

Just wanted set the record straight for future searchers:D

Ooookay - that makes more sense now. THANKS for doing the research!

So for an extra $110 we could upgrade to the Panoramic Room through the PG, and then use our Ambassador Club membership to upgrade to an OWB. But actually, I think we'll just stick with the Panoramic Room. The OWBs that we would get are the "motu bungalows" built around the IC's private motu on the lagoon, and they are actually smaller than the Panoramic Rooms - 328 sq ft vs 414 sq ft. And the motu OWBs don't get very good reviews - you can't snorkel from them (water is murky and current is strong), and the Panoramic Rooms look much newer and nicer in all the pictures I've seen.

So I think the Panoramic Rooms are the best deal going. Glad to hear you were able to get one for a reasonable price!

Yes, it definitely didn't make a bit of sense that the better room would be 10 less! But actually, if had been 170 per night, that would have been more than the misheard 117 a night, so it's all good!

I agree about the OW bungalows, the reviews weren't great, and it was a lot more money. But if it's free? Would you do it just for the privacy? ( well I guess not free for you, but only a small up charge)

Anyway- either way, hope it's a nice stay! I'm hoping you'll post a review...I'd love to hear how it goes!

You have a GREAT price.

We paid $865 for 1 room for three for one night only.

Wow!! I knew that spending less than 500 bucks for two nights and two breakfasts in that area is a good deal (in many areas actually!!), but I guess I don't realize just how pricey that area is:eek:

Did they not offer the pre nights package when you went, Emdee? I notice on my invoice we have use of the raddison for a day room. Over all, Im impresed with the all inclusive nature of the package for the price. Especially now that they are offering OBC, and they added that retoractively, rewarding me for early booking (I like that too!) SO far everything has been top notch and we haven't sailed yet...I can't wait!! But I have a few other trips to focus on till then;)

Off Topic, but...I should share with you the priciest room we ever had...

We flew into Johannesburg for an overnight at an airport boutique hotel before heading to Maun, Botswana in the morning. We had to rent 3 rooms for 5 people ( only double occupancy- they would not entertain allowing a child to sleep on the floor. It was $1370. We were there for 10 hours, literally on the tarmac, nothing fancy! Did I mention this was during the World Cup:eek:

Our family has entertained the idea of attending an Olympics...after that experience, no way!

Off Topic, but...I should share with you the priciest room we ever had...

We flew into Johannesburg for an overnight at an airport boutique hotel before heading to Maun, Botswana in the morning. We had to rent 3 rooms for 5 people ( only double occupancy- they would not entertain allowing a child to sleep on the floor. It was $1370. We were there for 10 hours, literally on the tarmac, nothing fancy! Did I mention this was during the World Cup:eek:

Our family has entertained the idea of attending an Olympics...after that experience, no way!

< I guess I shouldn't let it make me nuts, but I still have a hard time renting a bed or heaven forbid, an airline seat for the same money with which you could feed a small village>

$1370 for 1 room ? thats pricey.

I think my highest was at the Burj in Dubai. The two bedroom suite was larger than my 2500 sq ft home and a tad more garish as well! But of course your Bots prices topped all of that I am sure. Our South Africa prices certainly did.

Thats good that they are offering OBC. How much is it?

If you dont have the AMEX Plat its worth it to get OBC on cruises. Even RCCL is now offering $300 OBC, plus free dinner for two in speciality and a bottle of 'premium' champagne ( probably crap de la crap!).

We could only do 1 day pre cruise in July as DH had other commitments and since it was our 6th time it was largely for rest and jet lag.

Enjoy

I agree about the OW bungalows, the reviews weren't great, and it was a lot more money. But if it's free? Would you do it just for the privacy? ( well I guess not free for you, but only a small up charge)

If it really was free, we probably would go ahead and upgrade to the OWB just for the experience of staying in an OWB. ;). But given that the rooms are actually smaller, and aren't quite as nice as the Panoramic rooms, I don't see the point in spending $110 to upgrade.

Anyway- either way, hope it's a nice stay! I'm hoping you'll post a review...I'd love to hear how it goes!

When is your cruise? Ours isn't until July, but you can be sure I'll post a detailed review! :)

Editing to add: Just noticed your ticker...you're cruise is in September, right? So we'll be going before you. I will definitely post all the details!

$1370 for 1 room ? thats pricey.

I think my highest was at the Burj in Dubai. The two bedroom suite was larger than my 2500 sq ft home and a tad more garish as well! But of course your Bots prices topped all of that I am sure. Our South Africa prices certainly did.

Thats good that they are offering OBC. How much is it

Enjoy

Dubai sounds like an interesting place, did you enjoy your time there? I tend to gravitate to places that have some interesting natural features. Dubais distinction tends to be the man made wonders.

Our 1370 was for 3 rooms, and you are right we definitely spent plenty for some lovely camps in Botswana, but I feel like you pay for an amazing setting and superb guiding.

The OBC being offered ( through a brochure my TA shared with me was 200 per person.

Are you going back this year? Maybe the credit will be an incentive! I do appreciate all your great advice, it's been so helpful!

We normally only take one cruise a year ourselves. I have no idea how this year happened!:rolleyes:

When is your cruise? Ours isn't until July, but you can be sure I'll post a detailed review! :)

Editing to add: Just noticed your ticker...you're cruise is in September, right? So we'll be going before you. I will definitely post all the details!

The photos of the panoramic room do look wonderful! I just hope I can l keep my eyes open long enough to enjoy then view after that flight!

Yes, we have an early Oct cruise planned for our anniversary. Normally we go to the Caribbean for a quick get away every December, but this is a big anniversary, and we didn't need to fret the hurricane season in FP so that's how we ended up with so many trips in the year ( the other two are with our kids- a quicky spring break cruise and our big land/ cruise trip to the Ecuador and the Galapagos- we are hoping they learn more on that one, LOL!!)

So I'll be looking for your review! Although I expect you will have a spectacular time!!

Familygoboston,

Would love to go again next year but we are going to Mendoza, Iguazu and an Azamara cruise in Jan, Allure in April for big sister's 75th, then Spain followed by a Camino walk in September. All holidays done for the year.

Last year we celebrated our 30th wedding on the PG . DD bought us the anniversary package and it was really well done in case you want to consider it. I think it felt better because we had met the official participants before ( Capt/cruisedirector/gauguinnes etc) so there were really no strangers.

Familygoboston,

Would love to go again next year but we are going to Mendoza, Iguazu and an Azamara cruise in Jan, Allure in April for big sister's 75th, then Spain followed by a Camino walk in September. All holidays done for the year.

Last year we celebrated our 30th wedding on the PG . DD bought us the anniversary package and it was really well done in case you want to consider it. I think it felt better because we had met the official participants before ( Capt/cruisedirector/gauguinnes etc) so there were really no strangers.

I'm pretty sure this is how we will use our OBC- the celebration sounds like a special event! And our anniversary actually falls during the cruise, so it would be a nice way to mark it!

There is a free anniversary celebration as well usually on the Bora Bora day at sunset. They wrap you in a wedding blanket and recite some nice verses. Since its open to all there can be quite a crowd.

The $500 bought us the following:

Bottle of Moet

Large box of Leonidas chocolates

Ceremony

chocolate strawberries or cake

Veuve served after ceremony

Vows by the captain

Music by the gauguinnes

poem by the CD

1 photograph

We also bought the unlimited vow renewal photo package and because we had OBC to burn the complete photo package. I think the photographer must have been tired of us but we got some lovely pictures in all the locations.

It was certainly an event to remember and brought a number of well wishes from the entire crew. Being small ship the crew knows EVERYTHING!

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for asking the question OP it's helped me make my decision to downgrade at the Tahiti IC from a bungalow to a panoramic room . . . save the $$ for the OWBs later post cruise!!!

Thanks! This is why I love CC - you can always find an answer and I've saved so much money and time following the advice I've found here!

Archived