Opera at Sea. 8th April

czechmate

Henri - very strange. I came here directly from writing an e-mail to Robyn!

9th-14th May Robyn was back in Venice before moving on to Switzerland. Hope that she has a great time.

Horrible thought - we are at home as long as on Opera!!

Hai Barry,

"" Henri - very strange. I came here directly from writing an e-mail to Robyn!""

That's just what I mean with the lot of chemistry of the group. ;)

Henri.

Barry - I did receive your email this am (my time). I very much appreciate the info and the assistance you have so graciously offered. I do have a booking on hold for the Opera spring 2006 transat. It would be my first choice, but much depends on the sailing schedule of QM2 during April/May 2006 as I plan to return to the states that way. Ideally I would like to be away no more than 5 weeks.

So how many of your original group are planning to repeat the Opera transat?

Henri - I enjoyed your post on the tulips, etc. Tulips are my favorite flower. Of course, we do not grow them in Florida!

Claudia

Claudia - Happy that you received the mail and you are welcome. Hope that things will work out with the QM2 sailings.

Transtlantic 8th April, 2006

Well we know we are and this time joined by Daniels sister Michaela.

I think it is better if I leave others to speak for themselves. I know that several had to sort out other plans and possible commitments.

Claudia

i don't think we go on the transatlantic 2006. We would like to do the cruise Panama or something like that.

That will be our wedding cruise ....

Carol i miss you ....... big kisses for you and to Vic

Cynthia

xxxx

SURPRISE!!

I have had a reply from Mr. Henwood VP Sales USA and he tells me that they pressurised HQ into giving them schedules early. The Opera schedule was then changed back in March "in anticipation of the new builds" - whatever that means! He continues that it was very unfortunate that they did not correct the information and advise T.A.s and people who had already booked!

He also says that as yet the Summer 2006 schedules have not been realeased - maybe in a few weeks.

......................................................................................................

Hope that all our fellow "Opera goers" are in good health and spirits.

Miss you

Good morning, sailingfriends,

By "in anticipation on the new builds" they mean that next spring the new MSC-MUSICA will be delivered and set sail to ???.:confused:

Probably directly to Caribbean, but others say first a few months Mediterrenean. So...who knows.

But I think that's the reason for changing the schedule.

B.t.w. MSC-MUSICA will be a 2550 passengers-ship. Must have a huge Animation Team :eek:

Have nice days, weeks, all !

Henri.

Henri - yes I realise about Musica what I do not understand is why because they have Musica coming into service this must alter their published schedule itinerary for Opera. Surely they could plan the itinerary for Musica around what they scheduled and advised for Opera.

It is like they are saying "Lirica Opera and the others do not count".

I am also pretty sure that Musica will not be cruising before Opera returns to the Med in April, 2006. We will wait and see.

They tell me that at this moment they do not know what will happen with Opera after she docks in Genoa after the transatlantic. If that is correct then it really seems like they play games rather than run a cruising company!!

Musica is about 30,000 tons too heavy and 800 passengers too many for me! :-)

Henri - yes I realise about Musica what I do not understand is why because they have Musica coming into service this must alter their published schedule itinerary for Opera. Surely they could plan the itinerary for Musica around what they scheduled and advised for Opera.

It is like they are saying "Lirica Opera and the others do not count".

I am also pretty sure that Musica will not be cruising before Opera returns to the Med in April, 2006. We will wait and see.

They tell me that at this moment they do not know what will happen with Opera after she docks in Genoa after the transatlantic. If that is correct then it really seems like they play games rather than run a cruising company!!

Musica is about 30,000 tons too heavy and 800 passengers too many for me! :-)

I have a group of 270 people confirmed on Opera for March 2006 - new itinerary and nicer I think - and was told that Musica starts in June, 2006 in North America. Will be speaking with MSC again today so will ask some questions.

CG

CG - Guess when you are writing about March new itinerary that is different to the April itinerary which has been changed since we made our reservation.

For us Malta, Dubrovnik and Venice are far more attractive and interesting than Marseille and Genoa. Of course we also miss the reduction in the number of ports and that extra day since it is now 17 days/18 nights and not 18days/19nights.

I had a mail from Mr. James Henwood V.P. Sales only this morning telling me that they had no information at all at this time re 2006 summer sailings! So will be VERY INTERESTING if they can today give you information.

If it is correct about Musica then it is even more ridiculous to suggest that they changed the previous itinerary because of "new builds"!

We only have 3 people confirmed on Opera for 8th April, 2006 :-)

I am on the Sinfonia in 6 weeks so will make my final decision then about Opera transatlantic.

I will see what I can learn from MSC today but this came from my DSM yesterday. Perhaps they are not so very organized :) They certainly have little structure when it comes to groups but this could be a good thing!

I will post a full review when I return. I hope I am not the only one on the ship.

CG

Just like was told before, the MUSICA will start her debut with cruising in the MED, whereafter (late fall) she will go to Carribean.

This was just like LIRICA and OPERA in resp. April 2003 and June 2004.

So.....next year in summer the Mediterrenean will be full of MSC-ships.:D

Henri.

I am on the Sinfonia in 6 weeks so will make my final decision then about Opera transatlantic.

I will post a full review when I return. I hope I am not the only one on the ship.

CG

Look forward to the review as on CruiseCritic there is very little about Sinfonia. It is not even shown as part of the MSC fleet. That is a huge shame.

Think you will find loads of people oboard with you - maybe not CC members though!

I realise that we are all different but I would not judge Opera/transatlantic on the basis of Sinfonia/Med. Just too many differences and variations.

....................................................................................................

Well it is now a week and a half since I submitted my Readers Review to CC so I am keen to discover how much longer before it appears - IF it EVER appears :-)

.....................................................................................................

This time no response from Mr. Henwood VP Sales MSC.USA to my mail in reply to his!! :-)

I realise that we are all different but I would not judge Opera/transatlantic on the basis of Sinfonia/Med. Just too many differences and variations.

....................................................................................................

czechmate, you are correct. I am referring to the overall personality and style of MSC.

I have done 2 Med cruises and they were indeed very different from the Caribbean. BUt then I have also found Alaska to be very unlike cruises thru the PC. The itinerary has a definite impact on passenger demographic and the overall experience.

But the lines I enjoy the most I l would sail anywhere. The ship and cruising experience are the most important things to me. And I would imagine on a transatlantic cruise, it would be especially important to be happy with your environment. I would never subject myself to a transatlantic on Carnival for example because I have never enjoyed them anywhere else.

Can't wait to start packing!

Hi All:

We are two and possible three plannig on going for a second time with Czechmate next April. We are diappointed in the lack of ports, but we know the wonderful company we will enjoy will more than make up for it.

Varadero: Mama Carol wants to know if you have forgotten her. I am STILL waiting for an email from either of you. I miss you both!!

Hi czechmate,

There are a couple of questions I would like to ask about the cruise, which hopefully you can answer for me.

I'm sailing on the Lirica on 12th Nov from Genoa - and it arrives back there on 23rd.

They have the arrival time in Genoa as 9:00am - so in general terms, how close do they make it to their scheduled arrival times?

Also - how far from the port is the airport in Genoa?

We have a flight scheduled at 12:10 - and our travel agent assures us we won't have any trouble making it.

So your opinions would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Richard

Dear Richard,

I made this trip last november 5-16.

We arrived in Genoa around 10. A half hour later the first could go off the ship, the last around 11:30.

So, I think you can make it to the airport, on another thread I read it's a 10 minute drive.

When you let the 'reception' know you have a (early) flight they put you among the first 'ship-debarkations'.

I will look at my notes to give you some advice -later- which will help you, so that you are prepared. Like waiting for 4 hours (06:00 - 10:00) before you're allowed to leave the ship in Alexandria. Our cruise did not go to Kusadasi( on another cruise we were there), Messina and Capri. We went Cyprus(Limassol), Turkey(Antalya), Malta(Valetta) en Sorrento.

When you have specific questions.... go ahead, pleasure to answer.

Henri.

Hi All:

We are two and possible three planning on going

Carol if your son does join us then we have company for Dannys sister Michaela! She is a tall girl so that should be a good match!

Thats the Dolly Levy in me coming out" Matchmaker. matchmaker!!! :-)

Richard I will have to put you in touch with Joan/Neville and Robyn three Sydney residents who were on Opera with us and are great people.

Robyn was our table companion for dinner.

They can give you lots of info.

GENOA.

Normally MSC stick pretty close to arrival time. On our transtlantic there was confusion as most countries were given 10 a.m, arrival but USA was told 7 a.m. This caused a few problems. We berthed close to 10.

I agree with my good friend Henri tell MSC you need to be amongst the first dis-embarking passengers and they will comply.

Port to airport will be 15 minutes max under normal traffic conditions.

The airport is not large. Once the taxi drops you and you head into the buildings go to the left and follow the signs upstairs to "Departures". The upper level is where all the check in desks etc are located.

Archived