Consierge Service

DBI0530

.....where is that damned butler when you really need him. Oh, well. I normally would have my "gentleman's gentleman" handle the typing while I dictate. However, he seems to be busy drawing my bath for me, so I shall press on, with total disregard to the safely of my manicure, and type this myself.

Ah, the sheer IGNOMINY!

Well, mandostan, when I'm on a cruise, I DON'T like to do things myself. At home, I change my own oil, I make my own beer, I'll replace the clutch in my car if it needs one. I just rebuilt my entire kitchen. I rebuilt the outdrive on my boat this winter. H*ll, I even built my own house (20 years ago).!

My wife cleans our house, makes her own drapes, does our laundry and cooks for us. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I have a boss, customers, kids, college tuitions, a dog with cancer, a diabetic cat, homeowners associations, civics and church, four old cars, a boat, etc. etc. - and all the bills that go with them - to deal with every day.

So when we're on a cruise, we don't want to do SQUAT!

The concierge and, when I can afford it, the butler are there to make our one or two weeks a year an absolute departure from our "do it yourself" lives. For that one week we can completely enjoy ourselves without one single thought to the basics of daily life. Sometimes we can afford to move up to a suite and enjoy the hardworking and charming people who make their living doing just what I want them to do - making our short time away from the hogwash of life a truly memorable experience. If that makes me a snob, then you'll just have to get over it.

So don't look down your nose at me or anyone else who might have the privilege to be served by the fine people who have worked so hard for the opportunity to be a conceirge or butler on a cruise ship. Without exception, those people are the best at what they do - making people happy. That's how they got that job! And without exception, there isn't a room steward, dining room waiter or bartenter that wouldn't give their eye teeth to get one of those jobs. They are some of the most prestigious and well paid jobs on the ship. I've had a frank discussion with one on what they make - and it's VERY comfortable.

So, maybe you've decided that you want a bigger room and don't want the extra services you've paid for. Maybe you just don't want to pay for their services and are trying to justify that to yourself and others. Fine. Just don't use them. When the concierge knocks on the door, just tell them to go away. When the butler comes by to offer his services, just tell him he won't be needed. Go to the buffet and get your breakfast, lunch and dinner. Put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your room and clean it yourself. Carry your own luggage off the ship. H*ll, steer the boat yourself if they'll let you! (Can you NOT see that every crew member on the ship does something for you at one point or another?)

NO ONE HERE ON CC CARES!!!!

But the people you are blowing off as the minions of snobs train for most of their adult life to be the very best at what they do. And I for one, appreciate that. I use their services, interact with them, show my appreciation both in courtesy and monetarily. And I would consider it a great insult to them if I didn't.

Later on, I'll be making a few comments, by request, on working with a butler. But since you won't be needing their services, I assume you won't make any more unnecessary comments about us "snobs." But if you happen to find all this "snobbery" interesting, and one day have the opportunity to interact with the concierge or butler services, you may just find out how it can exponentially enhance your cruise experience. And all it costs you is a few measly dollars and a warm handshake and "thank-you" at the end of the cruise.

MrTractor<-------has to go take out the garbage.........

Difference between concierge and butler: concierge will take care of everything off the ship (also specialty restaurant reservations). And, the butler will take care of EVERYTHING else: breakfast in the cabin, he/she will draw a bath for you, fetch you coffee in the morning, drinks in the evening. They also have specialty butler menus of food that is not available to other lower-category passengers.

Hit a sore spot huh? Would not have gotten the response I did if it was not true. Sure can tell who they are by the response....When people on here start talking about Butlers and having them "draw a bath" , "fetch" (like in what a dog does), "lower-category" (as in lower glass) lets face it...call a spade a spade...snobs.:mad: That all I am going to say about this...

First of all, don't even pretend to know ANYTHING about my life or how I live it. I happen to have been a single mother who could barely rub two nickels together not that long ago. I grew up on wellfare and know the value of a hard-earned dollar. All I relayed was what my TA had told me. I apologize for not choosing the correct wording. I work very hard for the blessings that God had bestowed upon me. And, I certainly don't appreciate someone making assumptions regarding something he or she knows nothing about. I certainly did not intend to degrade ANYONE who may not be able to afford the one specialty vacation that I have saved for YEARS to purchase. Let's face it: lower category cabin means simply that: a lower CATEGORY, NOT lower class!!!! I, too, do EVERYTHING myself. I change my own oil; I cook every meal, I wash every piece of clothing in my house, I complete all of my class work while earning my Master's Degree; I take care of both of my children putting their needs before mine; and somewhere in there I manage to hold down a full-time job working 50+ hours a week. FYI: I had the lowest category cabin on ALL 3 of the previous cruises I have taken. This time, my DH and I decided to live one week of luxury out of the other 51 weeks we have worked so hard to live. The butlers and concierges (as well as EVEYRONE who works on every ship) have a job to do: making sure that YOUR vacation is the best you've ever had. If a person has a problem with that then maybe he should try walking a mile in THEIR shoes!

This is a forum of ideas, suggestions, advice, and tips. If other people are going to use it to criticize, blame, degrade, and ridicule others, I have a suggestion for you: get off the cross, someone else needs the wood!

As I knew it would..the ones that complained the loudest to my post are the ones who it was directed to. Thank you all for showing your true colors, you reacted exactly the way I would hope you would...its a shame that you let little old me upset you so much..I am surprised that so many of you felt that you had to justify your position to me. To quote Shoreguy " Lighten up" people and take it easy...life is too short to worry about what I think:rolleyes:

You really enjoy this don't you? Well, good for you! My mamma always told me that when someone is criticizing you, he's leaving someone else alone. I'm glad that I afforded you such a humorous opportunity. Thank you for picking on me and not someone who may have a difficult time dealing with your judgement and crass.

Just out of curiosity, what cabin are you booked in for your next cruise? I'm interested in your review.

Mr. Tractor

As always so well written and on message. One of these days we will end up on the same ship. I will be more then happy to buy the wine at dinner.

If by some chance I were ever to be on the same cruise with either or both of you (Shoreguy and Mr. Tractor), and had the miraculous good fortune to afford an Owner's Suite, I would relish the opportunity to host a dinner party in said suite, with the two of you being my guests of honor. Mrs. Tractor would of course be included in this invitation! I would consider it an honor to dine with you fine folks, and buy the wine!

:)

....hear a noise?

It almost sounded like the sound a troll might make while trying to make excuses for something stupid they may have said a day or so ago, but still keep the thread going.

Naaaaaaaah.

It must have been something else.

It must have been someone just having some fun with us.

Someone just starting some friendly banter after seeing the tongue in cheek humor of people who don't think they are better than anyone. People who just want to enjoy a great week or two at sea without anyone questioning their motives, politics, dress, sexual orientation, taste in music, singing voice, economic status, education or hair color.

Yeah. That's it!!!! Stop it, man, yer killin' me!!!HAHAHAahahaaahaa....

This is all a funny joke intended to entertain all of us cruise blog freaks.

HAHHAHAhaahahahahahaaaaaa.....Man, I love this place!!!!

Jeanne S, Shoreguy, Waldopepper, 2cruiseforever, Cosmo and the rest of you are all invited to our next gala sailaway in our aft balcony suite hosted by the concierge with a full bar and exquisite buffet served in white gloves by our butler.

Let the ocean flow under us as the world turns!!!! Whoooo, Hooooooo!!!!!!

MrTractor<---------thinks that mandostan just needs a little attention.....

Oh, and BTW Mr. Tractor - It's so nice to see you posting here again. We've missed your lively sense of humor on the NCL board! I hope your absense means that tractors are moving out the door at an amazing pace! :D

And I'd be honored to join your party, but please don't be upset if I don't drink more than one - I'm a terrible lightweight! :eek: I could hang with you guys forever, but never keep up with most of the FOMT :D Don't let that keep the rest of you from enjoying yourselves, though!

.....appreciation, Waldospepper. I hereby induct you into the North American Chapter of FOMT and bestow upon you all the rights and privileges pursuant thereto and hitherforth. Just in case we think of any! HAHAHAHAahaahahahaahaah.......

In the immortal words of Sally Fields.......

You like me! You really like me!!!

MrTractor<----------doesn't think "hitherforth" is an actual word, but it sounded cool..........

In reading the twists of this thread it causes me to pause for a moment and be thankful for the cruises we have taken and the good things life has given us. Some 15 years ago my wife and I were living in a one bedroom apartment of less than 800 square feet and wondered how we would ever make ends meet. Now we have a nice home in the burbs and try to cruise a couple of times every year. I guess we would qualify as "suite snobs" as that has been our accomodations on the trips we have taken. We do have some help around the house at times, but we also have paid a hefty price for this. My work weeks are generally in excess of 80 hours per week, many a night spent riding the flight from LAX or SFO to NYC. Those that have cruised my family before, that we still exchange mails know we are anything but snobs. Just like many others we work hard to earn what we have and this is the tidbit I am able to give to my family and myself for missing a dance, making my wife do the school runs and being rolled out of bed at 1:00 AM because the "system is down." I am thankful for the friends we have made. I actually have been more offended by some of those on traditional lines that look down at me and openly scoff because I DO NOT wear a tuxedo. It cuts all directions. Yet by the pool, at the bar we are all the same. But I do appreciate the little extras that I work hard to pay for.

[quote name='mrtractor']...

MrTractor<----------doesn't think "hitherforth" is an actual word, but it sounded cool..........[/QUOTE]

When can I expect my membership card to arrive? :p

WaldosPepper<--------thinks MrTractor is suffering from vocabularitis! It's surely a result of having your bath drawn while your shoes are being polished, in the middle of an elegant white-glove reception hosted in your sickeningly lavish suite, after having been given priority tender tickets and having a shore excursion booked!:eek:

Reading thru the bickering about "lower class" and all the blah blahs I'm going to make something really clear (at this hour of the night, and without my butler helping me, ain't that somethin').

My DH and I have always cruised in suites. Our lives at home are hectic, busy, full of work and my gosh, why NOT get a suite with a butler & concierge?

I don't need my "bath drawn" or all that stuff. Basically the butler has been to us always the nice fella who brings our breakfast in the morning. The concierge has always made dinner reservations for us. ONCE I asked (on our last cruise) to have some dry-cleaning done *yep there was a super duper charge*. Other than that....we don't run a butler into the ground and believe me don't walk around with our noses in the air!

We have so much fun onboard and in port, who has time for snobbery? And who cares??? We're just down to earth working folks like everyone else on the ship.

See?????????
Greg & Mary

for mrtractor i too second what waldos said previously! you will be getting off and we will be getting on the jewel in november, which we could have had the opportunity to meet. wish i had as grace in writing as you do.

well have a wonderful cruise as i know you will!

.....lately. But I've been busy reuphosltering my 18 year old boat. And I probably won't be able to write again until I've cleaned the garage and the attic. It's spring cleaning time and the maid (my wife) needs my help. Maybe before I start rebuilding the front steps to the house which have sunk into the clay they were built on 20 years ago, I can check in again.

I've been rethinking this whole Concierge and Butler "controversy." I have come to the conclusion that I am probalby not suite material. They probably notice the callouses on my hands from sawing wood and setting stone and laying brick. They are probably secretly laughing at us behind closed doors. They likely go back to the crew quarters and share funny stories about the rediculous common folks that are "puttting on airs" by getting a suite on a cruise ship. HA! Don't they know their "station?"

I don't think the butler is really worth it anyway. They don't really like taking care of us during our stay. They just do it because it's in their contract. That smile and cheery "Good Morning, Sir" is just a mechanical response from a well trained professional. They might just as well be a robot. Who needs them anyway?

MrTractor<-----------is going to book an inside cabin on deck 4 so he can sneer at all those stuck up suite snobs as they arrive at the priority boarding area............

[quote name='SailorsMate']I've heard on "Freestyle" the concierge can make reservations for the "speciality" restaurants, get priority tender passes, etc.. I booked a suite which includes "concierge" service- I doubt if I will use it..[/QUOTE]
We recently took two back-to-back NCL cruises in the Caribbean on the Norwegian Spirit. We were in an AB Suite, 10000. Our concierge, the remarkable Claudio, was extremely helpful. Beyond just making reservations, we found that Claudio became something of a friend on the ship's staff. We'd meet around the ship and exchange pleasantries. We'd gossip (innocently) a little. I urge you to get to know your concierge. If YOU have the right attitude, your concierge should become a real part of your cruise experience.

Shore Guy: Wrote a review of my April 18th Cruise and there was much discussion about AF minisuites and how some were treated well by Ruth (and Claus) and some were not. My response was that I always follow up any meeting or anything that is done for us with a thank you note. It is they way I was raised also. (Also send wine to fellow passegers as you do).

Mr. T - I don't think the Bronzed Goddess will go much for this new idea of yours.

[quote name='Jeanne S']Shore Guy: Wrote a review of my April 18th Cruise and there was much discussion about AF minisuites and how some were treated well by Ruth (and Claus) and some were not. My response was that I always follow up any meeting or anything that is done for us with a thank you note. It is they way I was raised also. (Also send wine to fellow passegers as you do).

Mr. T - I don't think the Bronzed Goddess will go much for this new idea of yours.[/QUOTE]

Honey always works better. The first time I cruised with Klaus as the HD he would stop me as we passed on the ship and ask if everything was going well. I took the time to tell him what a remarkable job his team was doing. I returned to my Mini Suite on day 3 and there was a plate of snacks and note with a complementry bottle of wine for dinner. I like most had not gotten any special treatment other then a note from Ruth to that point.

The first thing I did was take the time to pen a thank you note for the unexpected gesture. I hand carried it to the front desk. The next morning I had a hand written note back and we have keep in touch ever since.

That note has built a relationship that has been valuable for me and more importantly I have been able to help others here. :D

I have never meet a HD that will do so much to try and get to yes for any passenger. When my reservation for the Jewel dropped out of the NCL system and I was told sorry only inside cabins remain. He stepped in to help from the middle of the ocean.

My approach I expect nothing more then what I paid for. I am so thankful for any extras that may come my way onboard the ship (we could loop this thread back to tipping ;) )

Expect nothing - enjoy everything :)

Shore Guy:

I had a similar experience with Claus and found him to be the best HD we have ever sailed with. (Have sailed with him twice) I never saw anyone make the rounds as he does, chatting people up. He stopped by our table in Salsa as we were pulling into Nassau in the evening dressed for a night out on the town and yet here he was checking up on things. I and family members encountered him numerous times everywhere we went during our cruise.

Last November I went on the QM2 and Cunarder (who posts on this site also) and I were given royal treatment from the Captain and Social Hostess because we wrote notes. Ed handed in a note at the purser’s desk to Captain Wright telling about a special flag he had brought along, requesting if perhaps it might be flown over a port. So we are at the Captains reception and the Captain came up to him and said: "You must be Ed (having studied the embarkation ID photo)." I met the Captain at the Sunday Church Service (conducted by the Captain) and wrote him a note thanking him for a wonderful service. He had me select the hymn at the next Sunday's service, invited me to the Bridge and sent a lovely letter to my cabin. Then I went to the scarf tying party and met the new social hostess Melissa. She loved the note I wrote her and did everything she could to make our 10 day cruise special. When Ed, his wife and I were talking to the Captain at this Senior Officer's reception (the one with the caviar), the Captain had just that day invited Ed and his family to ring the noon day ships bell the next day and then invited me (“and you will also receive a letter to visit the bridge”). The Captain was at the bridge for both visits and in no rush for anyone to leave. I attribute this and all the special treatment on the Dawn to being polite, thankful, writing thoughtful notes and having a positive attitude.

The only time I had a bad experience on a cruise was last May a 3 day cruise to nowhere on QM2 when the kinks were still being worked out – I wrote a note to Cunard and they gave us a very generous future cruise credit and make certain on the next cruise that the problem we had encountered in the dining room would not occur again and assigned us one of the very best tables.

And Claus saved your greeting to us for last – his parting words to us were about you and everyone clapped!

Jeanne

SHORE GUY: Agree totally about cruise expectations. Am always overjoyed when my expectations are exceeded - as they always are on the Dawn. Anything extra that is done for me is always makes my day. I spend my working hours making things work for others and ensuring that those dealing with the company receive the very best service. My uncle was the in charge of the Caryle Hotel, in NYC for many years (he just passed away a few years ago at age 95) having gotten his start in the hotel Spa's of Baden Baden, Germany as a young man. Claus reminds me of him - a real can do, upbeat person - always concerned about others.

Ruth received remuneration in accordance with all she had done for us. I also gave her my nautical stationary as she had so admired it. We always give the cabin staff extra - they work so hard and treat us so well. The Maitre d'hotel in Venetian held a table for 8 each evening for us should we desire it and he was tipped. Anyone who went out of there way for us, we tipped them. I consider myself so fortunate to be able to go on about 4 cruises each year. What I find difficult to understand is how some passengers pay so much to go on the cruise, then begrudge this small amount for those who go out of their way to serve them. These staff really does depend on the tips.

Last year we went on Radisson which has a no tipping policy and I wanted to tip our cabin stewardess, but she made herself scarce the last day.

I've been sitting here reading and learning...about the reasonable expectations of those who serve us on these cruises and the proper polite way to express our appreciation. We were on the Dawn in Feb. for the 11 day Southern Carib sail and it was wonderful. Altho we are seasoned cruisers...(going on 14) there is always something new to learn to enhance our vacation. For instance...we were in an AF suite and knew we had concierge but never made the initial contact and therefore never saw or heard from the concierge. Do I blame them? Obviously not since I never made the effort to introduce myself nor did I request anything from them during the trip. Will I change my practise? Oh, yes. We're booked on the 11 day New England Canadian trip in Oct 2005 and one of the first things I will do is introduce my self to both the concierge and the butler...and...by way of letting them know I appreciate them in anticipation of what they MIGHT do for me, there will be an advance gratuity. I have always done that for my room stewart who has always been highly visible, pleasant and helpful.

Mr. Tractor, You are a blessing to all of us who are somewhat unsure of just how to go about the intracasies involved in cruising. You inform with a sense of humor that 'makes my day'! Thank you. Did I understand that you are going on the Jewel also this fall? Could I be lucky enough to be sailing with you??? I wonder. If so...I see the wine has already been taken care of for your soiree...may I stop in for a moment and bring the after dinner Brandy?

I will close with just ONE question...since I'm still learning. What are the differences in the services performed by the butler for AF as opposed to the major suites? Or do we even GET the services of the butler? Primarily I'm asking if I can have dinner from the dining room menu delivered to our AF MINI- suite. I've seen it mentioned that it can be done during dining hours and was just wondering HOW that would be accomplished. (BTW...same question goes for breakfast and lunch). All ships have different policies so I bow to your expertise.....and......I thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

Have a wonderful day everyone. Happy cruising!

Archived