My Week On The GREATEST Ship In The World! Allure OTS 10/30/11: A Pictorial Review!

Thank you for this review! I stayed up until 2 a.m. this morning looking at all of your pictures. We are going on Allure in August; same itinerary. Reading your review has made me look forward to this cruise even more!

Your review is awesome! Can you tell me the best place for a group of 14 to eat lunch on embarkation day without it being too crowded. We have heard the Windjammer is very crowded. Thank you.

I would avoid the Windjammer altogether on Allure. It always seems to be crowded. This cruise was the first on which I never ate at the buffet. The Park Cafe was also pretty full the first day.

The Solarium Cafe would be my choice to have a big group all sit together. It was lightly populated the first day, I think most folks don't know it's there until they've explored a bit.

Thanks for the great review. One question - how did you possibly get all of these great pics with so few people in the background?

I plan my photo taking in advance to avoid crowds as much as possible. I think on this cruise I got most of the interior shots during our day in Nassau since we didn't do anything in port.

I have started writing the review of my cruise on Allure last week. There is simply too much for me to write it in one sitting so I'm just going to have to post it up little by little. I think it will work out better this way, since I have a ton of pictures to sort through and post along with it. So bear with me folks this will probably be a multi-day, or possibly a multi-week affair. But rest assured that I will deliver as complete a report as I possibly can.

Glad you had a great holiday ,this is a great :Dwhat you have done , I love the pictures , one day we might go on this beautilful ship .:D:D:D

The Greatest Ship Ever Built

I have written many reviews of cruise ships in the past, but this one is going to take quite a bit more effort. The only logical way to cover such a gigantic ship is break it into sections and take it piece by piece. Royal Caribbean has chosen to divide the ship into “neighborhoods”, so I shall do likewise.

Covering most of Deck 5 is the biggest-yet incarnation of the Royal Promenade. It is also the first neighborhood visited upon entering the ship. There are seven large anchor areas in the neighborhood along with numerous smaller shops. “Boleros”, the Latin themed dance club. The “On Air”, which is a mixed use sports bar and karaoke lounge. “Bow and Stern” is the ship’s British pub. “Sorrento’s Pizzeria” is directly across the street. Unlike its Freedom Class counterpart, most of the seating is outside in the Promenade. I think I prefer the setup on Freedom, it felt more like sitting in an authentic pizzeria. “Café Promenade” has a nice selection of pastries, cookies, coffees, teas and deli sandwiches. Guest Services is next door. The addition of self-serve kiosks allows guests to check their Seapass accounts and other functions without seeing a staff member. The “Champagne Bar” is across from Guest Relations, as well as the lower landing of the “Rising Tide Bar”.

One is immediately taken aback by the scale and openness of the space. Unlike the promenades on the Voyager and Freedom class ships, the Allure’s has a second level with balconies for the Schooner Bar (above Guest Services), Focus Photo Gallery (above the Champagne Bar) and The Diamond Club (above Boleros). Aside from those balconies, the other venues have faux second levels that give an illusion of height even though Allure’s Promenade is actually one deck shorter than those on the older ships. Large glass skylights let in natural light from Central Park above.

Are all these "extra" places to eat (Sorrentios, Cafe Promenade, etc...) included in the fare......or do you have to pay extra for them? I'm confused on all the various dining.....what is free......what isn't?? I've heard of a hot dog stand and a mexican restaurant as well. Help??

Are all these "extra" places to eat (Sorrentios, Cafe Promenade, etc...) included in the fare......or do you have to pay extra for them? I'm confused on all the various dining.....what is free......what isn't?? I've heard of a hot dog stand and a mexican restaurant as well. Help??

There are many eateries which are included:

Main Dining Room (breakfast and dinner each day, lunch on sea days)

Windjammer (gets very crowded)

Wipeout Cafe (delicious pretzel wrapped hot dogs)

Solarium Bistro (a mixture of regular healthier foods)

Spa cafe (healthier foods)

Park Cafe (great roast beef sandwiches for lunch and Egg McMuffins for breakfast)

Sorrentos Pizza (neat create-your-own pizzas)

Promenade Cafe (great cookies)

Boardwalk Dog House

Boardwalk Donuts

Some are pay-extra:

Chops

Giovanni's Table

150 Central Park

Johhny Rockets (has free breakfast though)

Rita's Cantina

Samba Brazilian Steakhouse (Solarium Bistro, in the evenings)

Izumi (sushi and Asian cuisine)

Edited by DarthGrady

Just starting this review right now. I'm sailing on Allure during Thanksgiving, and the anticipation is killing me!

One little detail has stood out to me so far though:

ice cream at Jaxson’s.

Jackson's is pretty much a household name here in Hollywood, FL. Their ice cream is incredible, they have the greatest sit down ice cream menu imaginable. Hope you enjoyed it!

Just starting this review right now. I'm sailing on Allure during Thanksgiving, and the anticipation is killing me!

One little detail has stood out to me so far though:

Jackson's is pretty much a household name here in Hollywood, FL. Their ice cream is incredible, they have the greatest sit down ice cream menu imaginable. Hope you enjoyed it!

Each time I come down there I try to hit Dania for some Jaxson's. It's always great! :D

There are many eateries which are included:

Main Dining Room (breakfast and dinner each day, lunch on sea days)

Windjammer (gets very crowded)

Wipeout Cafe (delicious pretzel wrapped hot dogs)

Solarium Bistro (a mixture of regular healthier foods)

Spa cafe (healthier foods)

Park Cafe (great roast beef sandwiches for lunch and Egg McMuffins for breakfast)

Sorrentos Pizza (neat create-your-own pizzas)

Promenade Cafe (great cookies)

Boardwalk Dog House

Boardwalk Donuts

Some are pay-extra:

Chops

Giovanni's Table

150 Central Park

Johhny Rockets (has free breakfast though)

Rita's Cantina

Samba Brazilian Steakhouse (Solarium Bistro, in the evenings)

Izumi (sushi and Asian cuisine)

Oh that helped SO much. Thank you for taking the time to explain that:)

Thanks for the great review. We are sailing on the Oasis in less than two weeks and I just found your review. I know it's not the ship we'll be on but they're similar enough. I have looked at the first eight pages and I'm not sure I'll be able to read it all before we sail. Anyway, great detail. Leave it to a Star Wars fan to be so thorough. I'll keep my eyes open for The Review: Episode 2. George would be impressed.

Thanks for the great review. We are sailing on the Oasis in less than two weeks and I just found your review. I know it's not the ship we'll be on but they're similar enough. I have looked at the first eight pages and I'm not sure I'll be able to read it all before we sail. Anyway, great detail. Leave it to a Star Wars fan to be so thorough. I'll keep my eyes open for The Review: Episode 2. George would be impressed.

Thanks! :) Episode 2 will likely be next year if our Oasis cruise pans out, stay tuned. :D

• 3 months later...

Great review, I am glad I stumbled into it.

Quick question, I see you're doing a celebration cruise in a little over a month, quite a comparison with the Allure, lol. Did you buy it on groupon? I saw a special a weeks ago, but I did not buy it.

Great review, I am glad I stumbled into it.

Quick question, I see you're doing a celebration cruise in a little over a month, quite a comparison with the Allure, lol. Did you buy it on groupon? I saw a special a weeks ago, but I did not buy it.

Yes, my wife got it for us on Groupon. It was the deal for $200 for two people in an Ocean View. We figured for 50 bucks a night, why not give it a try?

I'll be doing a pictorial review when I get back. I'll post a link to it on the RCI and CCL boards just in case anyone wants to check it out.

Edited by DarthGrady
typo

Tremendous job Grady... I can't believe I actually went thorugh 20+ pages of pictures, posts, etc., on this one review -- of a ship I've already been on! :eek: Just very well done. After trying both the Oasis & Allure, we're headed back to the Oasis in February -- we loved them both, but the Oasis was cheaper and we wanted to alternate between Eastern & Western itineraries.

A couple of random thoughts: the Windjammer can be crowded if you go during peak times (particularly breakfast), by mid-week I saw lots of people making plates & taking them out to eat outside (not sure this is actually encouraged, but they were doing it). One of my kids' favorite things and lasting memories is of night swimming! The pools are EMPTY while everyone is in the dining room or off at shows, so they pretty much had them to themselves... with all the colored lights, it was awesome. For the grown-ups, the cantilever hot tubs at night are spectacular... ahhhh. Our regular midnight snack was a big chocolate chip cookie from the Cafe Promenade (IMO better than the cupcake$). Schooner Bar was my favorite place for people watching.

Thank you... you've brought back lots of great memories from our previous cruises, as well as enormous excitement for the upcoming one! :D

Yes, my wife got it for us on Groupon. It was the deal for $200 for two people in an Ocean View. We figured for 50 bucks a night, why not give it a try?

I'll be doing a pictorial review when I get back. I'll post a link to it on the RCI and CCL boards just in case anyone wants to check it out.

Yeah thats the one I saw. I almost bought it, but unfortunately I need the cash for the allure and a possibly Disney cruise in feb/march we will see. The picture review would be great. I can't wait to see it.

By the way used to have the Panasonic model of your cam but I believe a year older tz3 if I can recall correctly and I lived it. I had no idea leica made point and shoot cameras and on top of that that they were so expensive considering it's essentially the same camera as the pani. Thanks for bringing that up, you learn something new every day. Since I have bought two more cameras an the bf has inherited the pani. I love the colors pani produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk