My Week On The GREATEST Ship In The World! Allure OTS 10/30/11: A Pictorial Review!

Do Monkeys just roam free in Florida?

As someone who was born and raised in Florida, No monkeys don't just run free in Florida. There is a Monkey zoo In Miami So they probably excaped from there or a zoo or something else. I no when Hurricane Andrew went through many years ago they had a bunch of Monkeys escape from the Monkey Zoo and the regular Zoo and a place that they were testing monkeys. They cauht a bunch of the Monkeys but didn't catch them all and over time they have breeded and made more wild monkeys in the Miami area. It is rare to see these animals on the streets or free anywhere.

For the life of me I can't figure out the layout of the Boardwalk and Central Park? They're both roofless. Is one on one half of the ship and the other on the other half? I keep getting the impression they're on different decks? I'm confused!

Go to royalcaribbean.com and look at the Oasis Class deck plans. It will better help you on knowing where things are onboard. Boardwalk is located on Deck 6 AFT. Central Park is 2 decks up on Deck 8 Mid Ship. The two neighborhoods do not overlap. For a better understanding, Central Park basically sits on top of the Royal Promenade.

As someone who was born and raised in Florida, No monkeys don't just run free in Florida. There is a Monkey zoo In Miami So they probably excaped from there or a zoo or something else. I no when Hurricane Andrew went through many years ago they had a bunch of Monkeys escape from the Monkey Zoo and the regular Zoo and a place that they were testing monkeys. They cauht a bunch of the Monkeys but didn't catch them all and over time they have breeded and made more wild monkeys in the Miami area. It is rare to see these animals on the streets or free anywhere.

Thank you for everyone's Monkey Imput! I didn't think they roamed free, but wasn't sure since DarthGrady was able to snap a photo of them. I hope to move to Florida someday to experience all the wonderful weather, theme parks and cruise ships basically in my back yard! :)

I have lived in Florida since birth, on both coasts, and I have seen wild monkeys. It is very rare. There are at least a few "monkey islands" when you are boating, The one on the Homosassa - I haven't been there in several years so maybe it's gone - but like Darth said, the rumor is they escaped from a Tarzan shoot. I've never seen a wild panther that was alive.

Unfortunately in Florida we have a lot of species that are not native. They either escaped or were abandoned when the owner didn't want it any more. Iguanas and constrictor snakes are especially destructive to local wildlife.

btw...thanks for the great review, pictures, and information! I'm sailing on this Sunday your review was linked by a fellow CC'r on our roll call.

Me either but they sure are good. The perfect amount of cake without being too much. Here in Colorado they have cupcake trucks that sell cupcakes for $5 each! I'm in the wrong business....:o

Wow, we only sell them for $4. Not bad for L.A.:rolleyes:

I have lived in Florida since birth, on both coasts, and I have seen wild monkeys. It is very rare. There are at least a few "monkey islands" when you are boating, The one on the Homosassa - I haven't been there in several years so maybe it's gone - but like Darth said, the rumor is they escaped from a Tarzan shoot.

The monkeys brought in for the Tarzan movies were in Silver Springs attraction. Eventually they formed colonies on islands and around the Silver River. They were fed by the tour guides taking tourists on a boat ride within the attraction. Once in a while one would "escape" from its area and would have to be caught or lured back to its home. Our SIL worked at Silver Springs at one time and getting the monkeys back where they belonged was part of his job.

If I remember corrected they thought the monkeys carried a disease, so they destroyed them all!:(

Loved your review and pictures. We've been on Allure twice already and can't wait to do it again!

Edited by Bellalago Breeze

I have lived in Florida since birth, on both coasts, and I have seen wild monkeys. It is very rare. There are at least a few "monkey islands" when you are boating, The one on the Homosassa - I haven't been there in several years so maybe it's gone - but like Darth said, the rumor is they escaped from a Tarzan shoot. I've never seen a wild panther that was alive.

Unfortunately in Florida we have a lot of species that are not native. They either escaped or were abandoned when the owner didn't want it any more. Iguanas and constrictor snakes are especially destructive to local wildlife.

btw...thanks for the great review, pictures, and information! I'm sailing on this Sunday your review was linked by a fellow CC'r on our roll call.

I agree about the non native species being a huge problem. Its such a shame since it usually results in innocent animals being killed.

The monkeys brought in for the Tarzan movies were in Silver Springs attraction. Eventually they formed colonies on islands and around the Silver River. They were fed by the tour guides taking tourists on a boat ride within the attraction. Once in a while one would "escape" from its area and would have to be caught or lured back to its home. Our SIL worked at Silver Springs at one time and getting the monkeys back where they belonged was part of his job.

If I remember corrected they thought the monkeys carried a disease, so they destroyed them all!:(

Loved your review and pictures. We've been on Allure twice already and can't wait to do it again!

Cool avatar, I've always liked the retro Gators emblem better than the new one.

We had an interior cabin on Deck 8, #8543. I don't know the category code though. Its a good location, right down the hall from the entrance to Central Park.

Thank you. I looked at the deck plan and you were in a category N which is one up from the Q (the one I am in). I am also on deck 8 but toward the back - within walking distance to Central Park. It seems to be a good location.

Excellent pics Grady! Teresa and I enjoyed meeting you and your wife in July on Monarch. We enjoyed our October 9 cruise on Allure...guess we should have waited a couple of weeks and cruised with you again! Happy cruising on the next one.

Excellent pics Grady! Teresa and I enjoyed meeting you and your wife in July on Monarch. We enjoyed our October 9 cruise on Allure...guess we should have waited a couple of weeks and cruised with you again! Happy cruising on the next one.

Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed the Allure as much as we did. Hopefully we will all meet up on a cruise again sometime!

"After the quick embarkation and exploration of the ship we found our way to the cabins. We were lucky to get one of the interior cabins where the bed is against the rear wall.

The other setup has the bed in the middle, with the couch closer to the back of the room. The former feels bigger even though they have identical square footage."

The balcony rooms have the same 2 layouts. We were unlucky enough to have the bed near the door. There was not enough room for 2 people to walk around the bed. They have also cut down on storage space. The night stands don't have drawers , just shelves. For the money the room was a disappointment.

Daryl

Edited by C & D Cruisingfans

Thanks for posting this great review and pictures.

We will be on the Allure in January and trying to learn as much as possible about the ship in advance. Your pictures are great. I am only on page 6 of this thread so have a lot to learn yet. LOL.

Kathy:)

Edited by tomko2

"After the quick embarkation and exploration of the ship we found our way to the cabins. We were lucky to get one of the interior cabins where the bed is against the rear wall.

The other setup has the bed in the middle, with the couch closer to the back of the room. The former feels bigger even though they have identical square footage."

The balcony rooms have the same 2 layouts. We were unlucky enough to have the bed near the door. There was not enough room for 2 people to walk around the bed. They have also cut down on storage space. The night stands don't have drawers , just shelves. For the money the room was a disappointment.

Daryl

I imagine that would be disappointing, those balcony rooms are pricey. I wonder if there is a way to determine which rooms have the better layout? I'm sure someone here on CC will start a list one day.

I was pretty satisfied with our little interior room for the price we paid. I know it's an old cruising cliche, but we really did spend very little time in the cabin. Far less than on most cruises we do just because there was so much to do.

Hi DarthGrady! I'm new to this board but not to cruise critic. I used to frequent the Disney board but after returning from my Disney cruise last week I am now considering Royal Caribbean.

I have to say you are doing a fantastic job reviewing this ship. Your pics are outstanding. I considering treating myself to that camera for Christmas. I have two questions for you:

1) What is the difference between the Allure and the Oasis? I was considering the Oasis but after seeing so many comment that Allure is the biggest and the best I am a little confused. I thought the Oasis was the biggest. Please enlighten me.

As said before there is very little different between the two ships. They are sisters. Allure was measured something like 5cm longer than Oasis. A couple of the dining venues are different and they made some minor modifications in things like electrical outlet placement in the staterooms. Oasis has Hairspray for their broadway show while Allure has Chicago. You can't go wrong with either ship.

2) what rooms would you recommend for a family of 3 adults and 3 young children ages 6 &3? Is it better to have a view of Central Park or of the Boardwalk? Is there slot of noise from the aground into these rooms?

You may want to consider some of their family staterooms. We have a family balcony booked on Oasis, sadly not until 2013. I think they have family interior and ocean view as well. They each sleep 6. There are limited numbers available. The other option is to book a suite that will hold 6. The suite will have more ammeneties such as bathrooms, etc but you will see a significant increase in price as well.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Kathy

Oasis and Allure are amazing ships. They are each a destination in themselves!!!

Royal has set up an interesting retrospective of their first ship the "Song of Norway", as well as its comparison to Allure on Deck 15.

Wow, I spent an entire week on Allure and I didn't see this? ( A reason to go back) or my memory is fading (another reason to go back) I know there are one or two of the artwork pieces I missed. In my own review of Allure and several other reviews, I mentioned my favorite piece of stairwell art, specifically a scene of young villagers herding animals through what looks like an Eastern European village. I forgot to get a picture of it and have looked through other reviews to see it again. I'll be amazed if you actually have that shot. You have to love digital cameras. Can you imagine how much you might have spent on film?

If I haven't said it, Thanks for the effort in taking the pictures and compiling this review.

Here is how the two different room configurations look

P1010183.jpg

Given the many discussions I've seen about this room layout, this maybe the single most useful photo I've seen. While we usually go balconies, I may consider an interior on Allure if money is tight, this was helpful.

Great review! We've been on the fence about booking this ship as it seemed almost too big and thought we may miss the ship feel. But after seeing your pics, I think we're just going to have to try it! Looks like it would be an awesome experience!

Thank you for taking the time to post your pictures and review! It is much appreciated!

I see you have been on the Freedom class, which I love. Hopefully this review will prompt you to try it. Even if its not your favorite, it is a great time.

Given the many discussions I've seen about this room layout, this maybe the single most useful photo I've seen. While we usually go balconies, I may consider an interior on Allure if money is tight, this was helpful.

DarthGrady: I will have two Category Q [149 sq ft] interior cabins on the Oasis in February - cabins 275 & 277 next to the library on deck 11. The picture you showed of two cabins next to each other, were they Category Q's (and perhaps the same ones as the cabins I have booked on the Oasis?!)?

Edited by Lloyd555

Thanks, I thought it would be much easier to just photograph than attempt to explain.

DarthGrady: I will have two Category Q [149 sq ft] interior cabins on the Oasis in February - cabins 275 & 277 next to the library on deck 11. The picture you showed of two cabins next to each other, were they Category Q's (and perhaps the same ones as the cabins I have booked on the Oasis?!)?

Edit: Never mind! I finally found the original pictures in this thread. I see from a deck plan that I have on hand that they are the 172 sq ft interior cabins.

P1020065.jpg

Ok, here is where I get really jealous. When I saw Blue Planet, it was a great show, but when they pushed out this trampoline for that part of the show, nobody jumped on it! I've seen some videos on Youtube of this part of the show, but that first week in May, they actually pushed this thing out and didn't use it. This was probably my only real disappointment of the entire cruise.

I can tell by your photos you didn't use a flash, but still got some good pictures. I saw a lot of people using flashes in this show, which could be a danger to the performers. I did get this photo of the tree, but I think yours was better, (You must have been closer, yea, that's the ticket.)

tree.jpg

Edited by BillOh

As Grady mentioned, there are several theories, but I will add Florida has a serious problem of people bringing in exotic animals, frequently illegally and some escape. With Florida's weather, they live and thrive.