My Week On The GREATEST Ship In The World! Allure OTS 10/30/11: A Pictorial Review!

Hi DarthGrady! I'm new to this board but not to cruise critic. I used to frequent the Disney board but after returning from my Disney cruise last week I am now considering Royal Caribbean.

I have to say you are doing a fantastic job reviewing this ship. Your pics are outstanding. I considering treating myself to that camera for Christmas. I have two questions for you:

1) What is the difference between the Allure and the Oasis? I was considering the Oasis but after seeing so many comment that Allure is the biggest and the best I am a little confused. I thought the Oasis was the biggest. Please enlighten me.

2) what rooms would you recommend for a family of 3 adults and 3 young children ages 6 &3? Is it better to have a view of Central Park or of the Boardwalk? Is there slot of noise from the aground into these rooms?

Thanks for any info you may have.

Kathy

Hi DarthGrady! I'm new to this board but not to cruise critic. I used to frequent the Disney board but after returning from my Disney cruise last week I am now considering Royal Caribbean.

I have to say you are doing a fantastic job reviewing this ship. Your pics are outstanding. I considering treating myself to that camera for Christmas. I have two questions for you:

1) What is the difference between the Allure and the Oasis? I was considering the Oasis but after seeing so many comment that Allure is the biggest and the best I am a little confused. I thought the Oasis was the biggest. Please enlighten me.

From what I gather, not a whole lot. Oasis has the Seafood Shack on the Boardwalk instead of Ritas, and does not have the Boardwalk Dog House. She also does not have a Starbucks yet. Other than that I think its just decor.

2) what rooms would you recommend for a family of 3 adults and 3 young children ages 6 &3? Is it better to have a view of Central Park or of the Boardwalk? Is there slot of noise from the aground into these rooms?

I would probably rather have a boardwalk balcony just because you get a partial ocean view aft. I can't really tell you about the room choice for 6 people since its just the wife and I that cruise together.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Kathy

Day 4, St. Thomas:

Unfortunately Allure does not dock at the Havensight. Pier, and instead ties up at Crown Bay. The area around the Crown Bay pier is much less appealing than Havensight, which has numerous shops, bars and the tram ride up to Paradise Point. There is only a small shopping area at the Crown Bay pier, and the area seems much more industrial.

We planned to get a taxi over to Magen’s Bay while in St. Thomas, but the weather turned bad before we could even leave the pier complex. So instead of wasting the cab fare, we just got back on the ship and enjoyed the hot tubs in the Solarium. I tried the Boardwalk Dog House for lunch. The hot dog itself was ok, but the bun was stale so we went to the Park Café instead.

After relaxing in the room for a while I walked to the public deck the overlooks Aqua Theater at the aft end of Deck 12. They had just started a show so I took a few pictures. I didn’t stay for the whole show since we were scheduled to see it later in the evening. I then went out to the front Sun Deck to watch sail away.

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

It blared over the PA system announcing an injury at the Aqua Theater stage. I walked back to the aft deck to see what had happened. Another passenger told me that one of the performers had been injured during the show. The ship remained in port late so that medical personnel could take the performer off the ship for treatment. We later learned that the performer was treated for a compound fracture and will make a full recovery. Unfortunately our Aqua Theater show was cancelled again.

We went to Rita’s Cantina for one of the special “Rita’s Fiesta” they have during the week. It includes 3 margaritas, dinner, music and dancing. The whole thing is a lot of fun, and worth the $20 per person surcharge. I highly recommend it we had a great time!

After Rita’s we briefly went to the Headliner Show featuring Tony Tillman. He is a song and dance act, and I did not really care for it. We left shortly after it started and later went to Studio B for The Quest. The Quest on Allure was one of the best and funniest that I have yet been to. The cruise director just made each section of the audience a team and had two Team Captains out on the floor. This really got everyone involved instead of it just being a few groups taking part. If you aren’t easily offended and like to have fun go to The Quest!

St Thomas

P1010780.jpg

P1010782.jpg

P1010783.jpg

P1010784.jpg

P1010788.jpg

P1010789.jpg

Day 2, Nassau:

I woke up around noon, no rush really. I don’t even bother getting off the ship in Nassau anymore. Enjoying the sparsely populated ship is much more desirable than dealing with the crowds and junk peddling locals. My wife and I had lunchfast at the Wipeout Café. I love their pretzel dogs. I spent most of the day in and around the Solarium and the cantilevered hot tubs. The other ships in port seemed almost miniscule compared to our Allure.

I watched sail away from Nassau at the Sun Deck again. There was an Aida ship parked next to us. Apparently their dress code is a bit different than ours. I saw two different women sunning topless, and no one seemed to think much of it. You have to love those relaxed European sensibilities. I can’t wait for our Puritanical country to catch up. We waved goodbye to the Bahamas and set sail for St. Thomas. We all spent some time in the Viking Crown before leaving for the ice show.

We all watched the “Ice Games” show in Studio B. It was well done, just like the other ice shows I have seen on Freedom of the Seas. It did seem a bit like a commercial as most of the sets depicted were locations around the ship. After the show we all went back to the cabins to get into our Halloween costumes.

The crew did a great job of dressing the ship up for Halloween. They changed the Promenades lighting to orange and had cobwebs, balloons and other props placed about. We had dinner in our costumes, which was a new experience for me. They also converted the Blaze disco into a walk through haunted house. We waited in line for it, and it was okay but nothing spectacular. We missed the costume parade on the Promenade, but I saw it later on TV. Some of the costumes people brought were very impressive.

After the haunted house my friend and I smoked cigars up in the suite guest sunning area. It is the only place on the entire ship where cigar smoking is allowed, and only after 7 PM. The whole situation is totally unacceptable since a cold, windy deck is no place for fine cigar smoking. It makes no sense that the smaller Freedom Class has lovely cigar lounges, but the gigantic Oasis Class does not. There should be some small lounge on the ship where folks can enjoy their stogies. That open deck up top is an insult. They even have two humidors on board selling sticks just to throw some more salt into the wound.

Later that night we all went to the Amber Theater again and watched Saw 3D. The movie was terrible, but it wasn’t Royal Caribbean’s fault. The producers should be ashamed of themselves. It was obvious that they were just wringing every last drop of profit out of the franchise with no regard for quality.

In Nassau

P1010502.jpg

P1010503.jpg

P1010535.jpg

P1010536.jpg

P1010537.jpg

P1010538.jpg

So what gives? You tease us with the report of topless sunbathers, but no close up pics? That is simply cruel and inhumane.

Edited by clean1owner

So what gives? You tease us with the report of topless sunbathers, but no close up pics? That is simply cruel and inhumane.

Lol! I thought about it, but I don't think my wife would have approved. Those binoculars they have mounted on the bridge wings are sure nice though. :D

Day 5, St. Maarten:

After a nice breakfast at Park Café we left the ship and caught a water taxi over to the downtown area. We did a little shopping and then hit the beach for a few hours. Later in the afternoon we returned to the ship and went up to the Solarium hot tubs again. I watched our final sail away from the bridge wing, it was sad to think that our next stop would be Fort Lauderdale. It seemed like the cruise had just started.

In the evening we went to the Crown and Anchor top tier event. They had the cast from Chicago perform a brief show for us. Bar staff were also serving free drinks. My wife and I each had a couple of drinks, and I felt that was sufficient. Some folks were not as restrained. I observed one couple taking several, (before they could have possibly been done with the ones they already had) stopping the waiters each time they walked by. I don’t know why some folks feel the need to abuse the generosity of the cruise line, but its behavior like that that causes perks to be taken away.

After a good dinner we went to Comedy Live to see the show. After many cruises I can confidently say that Dan Wilson and Ralph Harris put on the best show I have seen thus far. I think the venue should be a bit bigger to accommodate more people, but the show was hilarious. After the Comedy Show we stopped into Vintages so the ladies could enjoy the sangria special. We then finished the night at Dazzles for the Michael Jackson dance party. All in all, it was a very good day.

Arrival at St Maarten

P1010939.jpg

Capt. Johnny's motorcycle

P1010938.jpg

P1010940.jpg

P1010943.jpg

P1010944.jpg

P1010946.jpg

I hate the last port when you're no longer sailing away, now you're sailing home.

We just got off Oasis, and I can tell you the best way to cure the going home blues is to know you have another cruise booked!

Thanks for the review.

Marsha

Ah the end of the cruise!!

Quick question: My cruise in January will stop at St Maarten and St Thomas. As I'm traveling as a solo, is there any spots or areas you would recommend I stay away from? I like to explore, but I also don't want to venture into areas that may seem unsafe.

Thanks!

Ah the end of the cruise!!

Quick question: My cruise in January will stop at St Maarten and St Thomas. As I'm traveling as a solo, is there any spots or areas you would recommend I stay away from? I like to explore, but I also don't want to venture into areas that may seem unsafe.

Thanks!

I have only been downtown in St. Thomas before, but I felt pretty safe. It's a US territory after all, so it's mostly civilized. I also really like going up to Paradise Point for the great view and tasty frozen drinks.

St. Maarten is a lot like Nassau. If you stay in the touristy areas you'll be fine. The beaches are all pretty safe, it didn't bother me to leave our stuff sitting around while we swam.

Day 6, at sea:

We began our second to last day with a visit to Studio B for the “How to Train Your Dragon” ice show. I actually thought that it was better produced than the main ice show. The sets were better looking, as were the costumes and props. After the show we had an excellent lunch in the main dining room. The salad bar they set up is top notch and delicious.

Later we visited the sports and zip line. We also had some drinks in the Viking Crown lounge. My wife and I stopped by the loyalty desk and booked our cruise on Freedom of the Seas next year. They have a nice program that gives on board credit for future bookings made on board.

We all went to the main dining room for the last of two formal nights. The meal wasn’t very good unfortunately. The lobster was dry and flavorless. The pasta dish was okay, but the desserts were downright boring. I was pretty disappointed since formal night dinners are usually the best ones. After dinner we watched the “Blue Planet” show in the Amber Theater. The show was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend seeing it to anyone going on Allure. The sets were very well done, as was the acrobatic work. After the show we stopped by Park Café for snacks. Two obnoxious children jumped in front of us in line demanding cookies from the lady behind the counter. The same two continued running about making noise with no parents to be found. So we left and walked over to Sorrento’s and ran in to still more kids running about. I don’t know what it is about walking onto a cruise ship that causes parent’s to turn their spawn loose on the rest of society, but absentee parents are becoming an all too common problem.

Dreamworks ice show

P1010982.jpg

P1010990.jpg

P1010994.jpg

P1010996.jpg

Awesome lunch salad bar

P1010998.jpg

P1010999.jpg