Eurodam - Not My Cup of Tea

Slums? :eek: Sorry Joanie but having been to the Caribbean many times by both sea & air I've seen poorer areas but they don't come close to what I would call a slum like you'd see in Delhi, Cairo or even Rio with its favelas. Just MHO, of course.

I agree with that...I can see how seeing "slums" might make some people uncomfortable..but yes, they're nothing compared with other places in the world. Me,I enjoy the destination, even if it's a little too real in places.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your cruise on the Eurodam. I was on it in Sept and while it's not my favorite I found it much better then the Westerdam. I'm probably the odd person out on these boards but I would sail on HAL "newer" ships before I would go on an older one. I hope your next cruise is more to your liking.

Have to add my 2 cents....thanks to those of you who have compassion for the animals on the islands, and anywhere that they suffer.

In Puerto Rico, particularly, you can find ways to help the local animals (it is reported that there are 200,000 strays there) if you contact manosporpatas, or islanddog, they each have good resources for tourists who wish to help out, either through attaching your name to a canine passenger being transported to the States (smaller island dogs help to fund shelters state side, allowing them to care for more animals, a win-win) or they have info if a tourist wishes to take an animal home. There is tons of information, and thanks Piecesgal for bringing this up.

Please, let's not turn this into a debate regarding animal vs people rescue, etc, etc. Thanks.

I had the same reaction to Eurodam, the Maasdam is my home ship with HAL. I'm pretty sure the last time I was on the Westerdam was her last cruise in 2002 so haven't been on this Westerdam, but I disliked Eurodam for many of the same reasons. I found it cold and impersonal . My next cruises are with Costa and NCL, because I reached a HAL required cooling down point.

Archived