cabin..middle or end

tigerkiss

HI. Ok I read on here somewhere that cabins in the middle of the ship are better, but then a friend said she heard that the middle was the worse place to be..

My hubby and I are going on the Dawn 6/6 for our first cruise. We didnt have the extra money to get a balcony so we just booked a grt and it looks as if the catagory we have, the cabins are in the middle which I was happy about. But then I thought if by some miracle from above, NCL upgraded us and the cabin was not in the middle I wouldnt know what to do.

Middle? End? or does it even matter?

Thanks

Linda

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until First Cruise

mid ship is always the best and the lower the deck the better, We were mid ship mini suite deck 11 room 11110 top of ship and we rocked and rolled one night sleeping and it was ok. I do get sea sick sometimes. That night sleeping was ok. We had 15-20 foot swells, and I was ok. I also used the relief band, not sea band, relief band and it work like a charm. Would never cruise without it. But, if you ask the experts they will tell you, mid ship lower decks. That was verified today on the travel channel. Don't worry and enjoy your cruise. You are going to love the ship.

Rainy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till NCL Dawn cruise

Just curious though, if a lower deck is better, why are all the higher deck rooms at a higher price? We are booked on the Norwegian Spirit on May 15th to Alaska in a BA room (with balcony) on the 11th deck, and all the other balcony rooms get lower priced the further down you go. This is our first cruise, so I have no clue what to expect. But it's strange that the lower decks are cheaper if they are a better ride. Should would love to hear some other opinions on this subject!

We were on the Dawn the same time as Rainy. We were on deck 11 portside forward and even with the 15-20 foot swells we were fine. The ship did rock and roll but as long as I knew we were safe the movement didn't bother us......

As far as all the suites being on the upper decks I've often wondered the same thing myself when they say "the smoothest ride is on the lower decks."

Oceanic 8/69

Olympia 9/71

NCL Dawn 3/04

"Happiness is a choice"

Look at RCCL's Voyager Class for example>>>Ice Skating Rink in the middle, and as low as you can go. A ship normally pivots on its axis, and that point (middle, low, center) is it. I understand it this way:

*Pitch>>The up and down movement you feel fore and aft (more towards the front I think)

*Roll>>That slow "rolling" motion, you feel and feel more the higher up you are. More expensive cabins are higher up for the "view" not the comfort.

*Yaw>>The difficult one --- That side-to-side motion (put a knife on a table, "pin" it down with your finger, and move the knife side to side along the table top. IMHO: Yaw is the very worst at the aft portion of a ship, and that's the one motion that gets me the most. Unfortunately, since the dining rooms are traditionally in the very aft of the ship, I sometimes enjoy dinner less than I'd like to....... icon_frown.gif

All IMHO, however I think I've got them right. Not bad for a fella with a West Point "upbringing", huh??? icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;1;22;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Serenade of the Seas

I work with a lot of very seasoned cruisers and they have very different ideas on what is "best". I will say that a lot more prefer to be higher on the ship than lower. I get more requests from first or second timers for the lower and mid ship cabins. I personally prefer to be higher but am not bothered by the motion. We were on a ship in hurricane weather and had no problems on deck 8 while our friends were quite sick on deck 2. It just has more to do with your reaction to the motion. We like being about half way between the pool deck and the main centrum area or promenade. Just our preference.

I also love the aft balconies that are usually larger. It does involve more walking though. However, when I am on a ship it seems that I'm usually at the opposite end of where I need to be next! Helps make up for all that food.

Normally it is quieter farther aft as there will be less people in your hallway.

We've been on a lot of cruises with no idea where our cabin would be and really haven't had one that had a very bad location. After all, they're all on a ship!! Just go have fun.

OK, let me put in my .02 worth:

Ask yourself some questions first, then get your cabin based on the answers.

1) Are you cruising to relax and get away from it all? If yes, then you will probably spend some time in your cabin, so you will want to get a larger cabin, suite, with or without a balcony.

2) Are you action oriented, love to eat food, like to mingle, take excursions, visit the ports, check-out the ship, go to the shows, eat more food, worship the sun, take lots of photos, eat morning-noon-night and midnight?? Then you will want to get the cheapest cabin 'cause the only time you'll spend in the room is to sleep, change clothes, shower and ..well, you know what icon_wink.gif.

Room location comments: going back a few years, the design of the older ships had the cabins on the lower decks with the Prominades (shopping, bars), restaurants, pools and theaters on the upper decks. The recent "mega-ships" are now designed to place restaurants and theaters on the lower decks to create more room on the upper decks for balcony and suite cabins - for the view and for more $$.

When doing this much eating, and you will, walking can be a good thing. If you get a cabin forward or aft, you will spend some time walking from one end to the other as restaurants, services, pools, shops, etc are scattered all over. If you get a cabin mid-ship, then you can cut some of that walkin time down.

Pebbles and I love to sunbath (no comments on the wrinklin effect), so when I'm lookin for cabins, I look for one 1-2 decks down from the main pool area. On the Sun Princess (a very painful lesson), we were in a cabin directly below the main party lounge - even without my hearing aids, I could hear the music and feel the stomping at 2:00am.

If your website or TA lets you check it out, look above and below your choice and closeness to elevators. RichardK's comments on the motion considerations are right-on, but you've got to be having some serious weather issues to be getting 20+ foot swells - which is what it will take to rock the big ships.

Base your cabin selection on your expected level of activities, and have a blast!!

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

Since you booked the guarantee, the best thing to do is probably wait for your cabin assignment, then find the bright side to whatever one you were assigned icon_smile.gif.

We have been in all sorts of cabins and haven't had any particular one affect our cruise experience significantly. The lower decks midships (as mentioned above) are recommended for those sensitive to the motion. If you are prone to seasickness, though, you'll probably want to take other precautions as well, hopefully making cabin location not so important for this particular issue.

Good luck on your upgrade/location!

if this is your first cruise...just pick a cabin you think you'll be happy with. as for booking guarantee...that's part of the excitement!!!

the best part is...if you didn't like your cabin location on this sailing...you can always try another option on your next sailing.

oh no...not a 2nd cruise!

damn i wish i was sailing sometime soon!

diver_floating_md_clr.gif

WE ARE...PENN STATE! Biology '94

http://photos.yahoo.com/zonehph2002

click on NORWEGIAN WIND 20040327 (03/27/2004 sailing)

Hi...Bambam. I am going on this cruise to have fun, eat, relax by the pool, eat, dance (if my hubbys gets enough beers in him), eat some more, see universal, walk around miami and oh did I mention EAT!!! LOL I have never been more excited about this cruise then anything else. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Zone, I havent even sailed on the first cruise yet and I am already talking to the hubby about Bermuda next year!!! YEH!!!!! Gee I hope I like cruising..LOL

Are you planning a cruise for this year?

Linda

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;6;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until First Cruise

You will be hooked after one cruise! That's all it takes. We prefer mid ship cabins on upper decks. The view is better up top! Mid ship because I tend to get sea sick some times. Last cruise to Bermuda we were closer to the front side of mid and it was a little too rocky for me.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Majesty

Archived