Miami Sea Aquarium ?

phyzz

have you looked at their web page?

The SeaQuarium is "the longest operating oceanarium in the US." It opened in 1955. So think SeaWord but older . . .

Yes, when I lived in Miami we'd take the kids there occasionally. Unfortunately they had also been to SeaWorld so it was difficult not to compare. Many of the show 'theaters' show their age, especially with regard to size.

If you can enjoy the history and not be disappointed by SeaWorld comparisons the price IS better (altho the dolphin experiences are no bargain)

my two cents - you asked . . .

Options along the same line:

Jungle Island - this attraction is much newer and is essentially the re-location of the former Parrot Jungle which was in Miami's souther suburbs and pretty much clobbered by Hurricane Andrew in 1992

Miami Metro Zoo / ZooMiami - considered a top US zoo by many, it opened in 1980 and enjoyed constant expansion until clobbered by Andrew in 1992 with devistating damage. Work was completed to re-open quickly and the zoo continues to be a growing enterprise. A bit south of the city but can be reached by taking MetroRail to the southern end and then a special bus. (or was last time I was there anyway - check webpage)

We spent a day here in August and took part in the shallow water dolphin experience (deep water was fully booked)

the park itself was OK...shows were rather disapointing....a bit cheesy to be honest and definatley no comaprison to Seaworld......but..........

the dolphin encounter was AMAZING! I am so pleased we did it...one thing off my bucket list!

Archived