Anyone on sojourn now in south america?

harbormaster

If anyone on Sojourn Nov. 7 sailing in South America reads this, can you please tell us who the CD, Maitre'D and Hotel Director are? Also, how has your weather been? Does it look like you will make the Falkland Islands? Any tips on the ports you've already done? How is the internet?

We board next week doing the reverse itinerary. Any comments appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hotel Manager is Hubert Buelacher who is excellent.

Cruise Director is John Howell and he is just ok but that is my opinion only.

Executive Chef in Andrew Soddy and he is very good.

Please look at my report on the Falkland Islands.

We have been on board now for 40 days and have had a wonderful cruise. I will post a full review once we get home but if you have any specific questions I will be happy to try and answer them.

We have had some excellent entertainment and some that was not good. The piano player in the Observation lounge is horrible but she is getting off in Buenos Aries so you will be spared that unpleasantness. The group in the bar on deck 5 are wonderful and I hope they are still on board for your cruise. They have changed their champagne brand and I much prefer the new champagne offered. The wines have also been good, not fantastic but good and some very good. They have a good range of varieties so I'm sure you will find something to suit your palate.

Captain Hamish Elliott is a very good captain and we have enjoyed his company. The staff as usual are outstanding. I know you will enjoy your cruise.

I spent 29 days on the ship last month.

It seems to be one of the functions of my life to be sensitive to the failings of Cruise Directors. Some of them make you feel you should ask for your money back. Let's face it: the CD is the fellow who runs Team Trivia. (On a long cruise, that's where you get to know many fellow passengers, one way or the other.) It's important: it's his/her job. Some of them just don't get this. John Howell does.

His irreverent quips/slaps, at our quest for the fabulous prizes etc, never failed. On every Day At Sea, he had 80 or so of us there well before the noon start, and we left for lunch with smiles on our faces and the memory of lots of laughs over those 50 mins and looking forward to the next, and often some new pals we might have Dinner with later on.

Oh, and he came up with the much-loved “Chorus Line” dance class for the girls which he conducted; and often he was there to see you off on excursions, and there to welcome you back; and he hosted lots of tables in the Restaurant etc etc; and all I can say is: John, thank you for helping to make it the best Cruise I have ever been on.

No, they have run out of the P-J and are back to the old champagne. Everyone has their opinion on the Cruise Director and I don't think John is a bad cruise director I just think Seabourn have other cruise directors that I like better.

There is no list, as such, for the house wines. I'm absolutely sure of that. As for the wine list you can buy from, you can get this to keep in your cabin if you wish. But, I was dissapointed with what was on it: both as to variety and price. Over 29 days, having only three: one was a Perrier Jouet Rose for $98, which was very pretty but quite ordinary. (As opposed to a recent Silversea cruise where the wines were very nicely priced and quite wonderful.)

As for the Nicholas Foo Yay, this most certainly doesn't deserve the knocks it gets on this site. I suppose it is just not as quaffable: in that there is no dosage (added sugar); of which the Perrier Jouet seems to have heaps. If you want to drink it around the pool, get a Kir Royale effect going in it: adding a cap full or two of any liqueur will do.

Because it has no sugar added after its making (which detracts from its quaffability), it is therefore a beautiful drop to have with a meal. Indeed, it is a superbly crafted wine, IMHO and that of others I note from a web-search.

I always had Nicholas Feulliatte with great pleasure with my evening meal in place of the Chilean Pinot Gris/Grigio etc; only stopping when the Perrier Jouet started. (And, with Champagne, you don't seem to drink as much: because of the bubbles, the awkward glass, and the fact that the waiters don't have it so readily to hand.)

You can get a list of the available house wines. I did have one for the last segment of the cruise but binned it, sorry. We got this from the stewardess as our friends wanted a white wine in their suite set up and she provided them with a list. We went through the list with our friends and found our favourite wines and stuck with them. The list will be new for your cruise but you can get one by asking. We had dinner with the HOT man last night and he explained the change in champagne. The supplier ran out of NF and replaced it with the PJ.

We have had great variety of wine, both in countries of origin and variety.

Archived