Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

I just realized that since I'm arriving in Kiev on Friday, Sept. 20, the optional Jewish tour of the pre-cruise extension will also be on a Saturday.

Is this optional Jewish Kiev tour also run on the first day of the cruise? (That would be Sunday, Sept. 22 for me.) I'm so confused.

I'm back to thinking about doing the Chernyobyl tour on that Saturday, Sept. 21, but it seems like that (9 hours) would be a very long day. Maybe I should just do the walking tour with Viking that Saturday morning and take it easy the rest of the day, as I most assuredly will still be jet-lagged. :confused:

GCV, the optional tour in Kiev is on the afternoon of Day 2 (so, Monday). Arrival day is always Day 1. I am not quite sure of the timing on the Kiev pre-cruise because we did it post-cruise, so our included walking tour was right after we were transferred from the ship to the hotel. Since our rooms were not ready, we stowed our luggage in the storage room and then left on the walking tour.

I think for the pre-cruise that you have your arrival day (Friday) on your own and then the included walking tour is the morning of the next day (Saturday) with optional offerings in the afternoon. Sunday morning you will probably be transferred to the ship and then have the rest of the day on your own.

There are free (but tip the guide) walking tours of Kiev that leave from the big globe on Independence Square. Information about them can be Googled.

One of the old synagogues is actually just down the street from the Radisson Blu. It is now a theater of some sort. It's on the opposite side of the street and the minute you see it, you will recognize it.

It is between 35 and 50 euros. You'll get the booklet from Viking by mail with all itinerary info. Just keep in mind all optional tours unless it is an Opera/Black Sea Band are done by the same tour guides.

Not entirely true. We did the Jewish Odessa tour. It was done by a local contractor and not by the Viking guides. Unfortunately, for some reason, the Jewish Odessa toured was switched from Friday to Saturday and thus we were not able to see inside any of the synagogues. That was very disappointing--and very poor planning on the part of Viking.

Planning on doing this in 2014. Wonderful advice: euro-prong extensions for transformers, bug spray and watch out for bugs when you open your windows, TP (if you want the soft stuff), there are hair dryers in all the desks, and watch out for yatch showers (unless that is your thing).

My wife and I really like to do walking tours of cities and travel independently from the cruise lines as much as we can. When we do want to do a tour or excursion, we usually try to find one independent of the cruise line as they are usually much less expensive. This has worked out well for us in Alaska, Germany, St. Petersburg, and a bunch of other places. Sometimes we find private tour operators, sometimes walking tour companies, sometimes hop on hop off buses to orient us and then we do our own thing, and sometimes negotiate for a taxi where the driver will show us around for a fixed price.

Part of my desire for this trip is to visit where two of my grandparents and their parents, etc. were born. It is a small village about 15 miles from Odessa. Probably spend much less than half a day there (walk around go to the old church, school, cemetary, walk past the old homestead, etc.). But the question is how to get to Novohradkivka, Ukraine (Neuburg when it was part of Imperial Russia). I am wondering if anyone has experience with private tour operators in Odessa, or since it is only about 15 miles each way (as the crow flies) if trying to find a taxi with a driver that speaks english, might be an alternative? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Similarly, in Kiev, someone in an earlier post discussed a private tour that could take you to the evaluated nuclear zone, if you were cleared ahead of time, but failed to discuss the names of the tour operators. Also if there are any independent, english speaking tours in Kiev that folks recommend, I would love to hear about it.

Again wonderful thread. Thanks to all who contributed and those who started it!

robert32asp

Have you tried Trip Advisor website for information on guides in Odessa and Kiev? When we cruised the Dniper in 2008 we arranged airport pick up and transfers with a Ukraine company found through Trip Advisor website. Can't remember the name but they did the job and also arrange tours.

We were unimpressed by the Viking 50 to a group tours from the cruise. A quick dash through the "attraction" with fast-flowing commentary by a guide followed by a long "free" time in the souvenir shop or market. Optional tours had fewer people and were more palatable. The tour to BabiYar in Kiev was outstanding for us and we have no Jewish or continental European ancestry.

Planning on doing this in 2014. Wonderful advice: euro-prong extensions for transformers, bug spray and watch out for bugs when you open your windows, TP (if you want the soft stuff), there are hair dryers in all the desks, and watch out for yatch showers (unless that is your thing).

My wife and I really like to do walking tours of cities and travel independently from the cruise lines as much as we can. When we do want to do a tour or excursion, we usually try to find one independent of the cruise line as they are usually much less expensive. This has worked out well for us in Alaska, Germany, St. Petersburg, and a bunch of other places. Sometimes we find private tour operators, sometimes walking tour companies, sometimes hop on hop off buses to orient us and then we do our own thing, and sometimes negotiate for a taxi where the driver will show us around for a fixed price.

It really does not make sense in Ukraine for 2 reasons:

1. Tours are already included in the cruise price

2. The most important: you just can't find a good tour guide with an adequate english knowledge. There are a lot of people who speak very good English but they just pretent to be a tour giudes.

I doubt it even about Kiev not to mention other cities.

Part of my desire for this trip is to visit where two of my grandparents and their parents, etc. were born. It is a small village about 15 miles from Odessa. Probably spend much less than half a day there (walk around go to the old church, school, cemetary, walk past the old homestead, etc.). But the question is how to get to Novohradkivka, Ukraine (Neuburg when it was part of Imperial Russia). I am wondering if anyone has experience with private tour operators in Odessa, or since it is only about 15 miles each way (as the crow flies) if trying to find a taxi with a driver that speaks english, might be an alternative? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That's easy. As Peregrina651 already mentioned: ask at the reception. They will arrange a taxi for the day and the price for you. The driver will just wait for you in Novohradrivka. As I said before taxi rates in Odessa are very low.

Similarly, in Kiev, someone in an earlier post discussed a private tour that could take you to the evaluated nuclear zone, if you were cleared ahead of time, but failed to discuss the names of the tour operators. Also if there are any independent, english speaking tours in Kiev that folks recommend, I would love to hear about it.

Again wonderful thread. Thanks to all who contributed and those who started it!

Hi, welcome to our thread.

I googled 'Chernoybyl tours' (I know I spelled that wrong...) and found the names of two companies offering tours. I don't have them at hand, but if you can't find them, post again and I'll search again.

If you haven't picked a cruise date yet, I would suggest going in the Spring or late summer/fall, when the temperatures there will be more moderate. One of the people who did the trip this summer mentioned high temperatures and people fainting from the heat. I think the prices are a little better at those times, if that is a consideration.

Hi Robert, and welcome!

No need to worry about Pullman beds and yacht style showers. The Lomonosov is retiring from Viking service at the end of this season and will be replaced with a newer, refurbished ship starting in 2014. You should be able to read about the new ship on the Viking website.

IMHO, plan to add a couple of extra days onto you visit to Novohradkivka. Why be rushed? Don't wing it. Find out as much as you can before you go.

The Lomonosov is retiring from Viking service at the end of this season and will be replaced with a newer, refurbished ship starting in 2014. You should be able to read about the new ship on the Viking website.

They are going totally refurbish and rename Lomonosov as Sineus in Cherson during the winter. Pretty much the same was already done in Russia.

wheoooo, finally got thru all these posts again, now to start of Peregrina's blog!!

Umm, sorry about the Google maps I tried to link to in my blog. I don't know how to fix them and haven't had a chance to update the blog to remove the links.

From id est: They are going totally refurbish and rename Lomonosov as Sineus in Cherson during the winter. Pretty much the same was already done in Russia.

Thank you! I was wondering about that. I've seen pictures of what the 'new' ship is going to look like but I didn't realize that it was a new look for the old Lomonosov.

Thank you for all who have responded to my questions.

I appreciate knowing that all the Viking ships are being refitted for the 2014 season, when the best weather is, and information about how to handle certain kinds of tours or excursions.

This looks like it could be a very fun trip.

Again. Thank you.

If I dream up some more questions (which I am sure I will) I will add them to this thread.

We used "Odessa Walks' on our trip in June and it was the best part of the whole trip. Even though the ship offers good excursions, we wanted to do something more in-depth with a local guide. We had a fabulous half day private tour with Olga of Odessa Walks. And BTW, she has degrees from universities in both Russia and the U.S. so her English was as good as mine!

Debbie

Haha on the name. Yes (why not?) to the doobie doobie do comment!

We were in Odessa st the start of,our river cruise in June, where the weather was cool. We had booked 2 walks with Odessa Walks (online bookings, pay when you actually arrive for the walks). We were especially attracted to them because they are small groups and we like walking around cities with a private guide or in very small group. The Pub Walk was attractive to us -even tho my DH doesn't drink- based on what you got to do. It was set to take place during dinner onboard and that was just fine by us since we were eating onboard for the next 11 evenings. That tour ended up being cancelled due to a thunder and lightening storm that rolled in about 10 minutes before the starting time. We had scheduled the Food Tour (can you see our theme here?) for the next morning at 11:00. It was a 3 hour walking tour with stops in local restaurants for a tasting. As we walked, we got the history, some architecture insight, some real life stories....we loved every minute! There was so much food that we opted out of one restaurant stop and enjoyed a few extra minutes sitting and talking over dessert with Olga, the owner and our guide that day. We wished we could have taken her along to every stop on the river cruise.

In Kiev, we had big plans to use every minute of the free time- what a beautiful city! But by then the temps were mid-90's and after the included city tour which was great, we opted to return to the ship and spend the time with friends on board. The ship was docked too far from the city center to make it easy to come and go when you felt like it, as in Odessa.

Hope this helps you- you are in for a very interesting trip!

Debbie (of Doobie Doobie Do fame)

Too bad all the cruises don't adopt what the Freya did on the Danube/Rhine. Each off-ship tour had both regular tours and "leisurely tours," for those who couldn't keep up the pace on the regular tour. We took the leisurely tour at the last stop and I was sorry I had not done it all along, since it covers the same ground, but at a much slower pace.

Opera/ballet in Odessa and Kiev: What you see depends on what is on-stage that night since they are both performed in the same theater. You do not have to go with Viking; you can go to the box office and buy your own tickets. Even with the Potemkin Steps to be navigated, it is an easy walk to the Opera House in Odessa and in Kiev, it is three blocks from the hotel. In Odessa, you can even arrange a cab to take you.

I have checked with the box office in Odessa and there is no performance the night scheduled for a performance. They said that we could arrange for an opera house tour. Someone at Viking told me I'd have to arrange that with the ship's program director. I'm a theater critic and love investigating theaters and hope we can get into the Opera House.

I'm a huge water drinker and at lunch and dinner, you can get for no cost bottles of still or bubbly water. It's great. You will have to pay for it at brkfast, so just bring some from the room.

REALLY??? That's different from the other 3 Viking cruises we have been on (I'm a big water drinker too!). Disappointed to read this.

I have my adaptor and my flat sink stopper in my suitcase already. :) In two months and one week, I leave.

Sounds like we may be on the same cruise. We leave California on August 28 to Kiev and off to Odessa. If that's your cruise, email me (basykes@gmail.com) and maybe we can connect before we sail.

Too bad all the cruises don't adopt what the Freya did on the Danube/Rhine. Each off-ship tour had both regular tours and "leisurely tours," for those who couldn't keep up the pace on the regular tour. We took the leisurely tour at the last stop and I was sorry I had not done it all along, since it covers the same ground, but at a much slower pace.

Welcome, BlueAngel!

Maybe they are testing the idea on the Freya and will expand it to other ships? Sounds like a great idea to me. On the hot days, I'm in the leisurely pack but when its cooler, I just want to move right along and not dawdle. They also need to separate out those who have little errand that they want to run while on the tour--ATM stops, camera stores, drugstores, etc. Drives me nuts because it sidetracks the guides and we end up spending time running errands rather than touring.

Have any of you taken the extension to Istanbul? We are going to and I'm wondering if the tolerance for slacks holds for mosques there, or if I should try to find a dress or skirt (haven't worn one in decades)

Excellent question.

Actually, I would think that bare legs and arms are more of a problem than slacks but hopefully someone who has traveled there recently will have an answer for us.

I was there in January a number of years ago and all I took were pants; there were no issues going into the mosques. You will have to take your shoes off in the mosques, so maybe you will want to have socks to cover your feet.