Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

Thank you.

Enjoyed your postings and hope to do the same once we get there.

It seems sooooo long ago we paid.

Oh, good. We could use another point of view. So much of what we see and do is so subjective that it is really helpful to have multiple people reporting.

Yes, so long since we paid and then the two weeks goes by in a flash!

Have a wonderful, wanderful bon voyage.

And here is Odessa archive - it's situated in a former Brodsky

synagogue.

normal_5~7.jpg

Oh thanks, I'm definitely going to print the pictures of what's at that address and take them with me so I can find it. And, I'll take a picture of my picture, front and back. I wonder how often people who work in that shop have to deal with American tourists like me?

I've sent you a 'friend request' and added you to my contacts. Maybe we should exchange email addreses?

I guess I should contact the Archives, when it gets closer to my trip. What are the chances that someone there will speak English and be willing to help me? Perhaps I should approach this from another angle - try to find someone here who speaks Ukrainian who can help.

I just made my final payment today - and had quite a tough time getting through to Viking, was on hold for about 5 minutes. Still waiting for the confirmation email, the lady said it would be processed at 5:30, guess that means Pacific time.

I never did find out if I could add the Kiev extension, but I think that must be possible, maybe with a $50 change fee, before my actual plane tickets are booked. Since I'm still almost 16 months out from traveling, I don't think the plane schedules have been set yet, for some reason I think that they're done 9 months in advance for most airlines.

Well, I'm going to have 'credit card statement shock' when the bill arrives next month, but I won't think about that today, I'll think about it tomorrow, after all, tomorrow is another day.

(This is where I tried to insert an image of Scarlet O'Hara, but that didn't work out... :confused:)

Oh thanks, I'm definitely going to print the pictures of what's at that address and take them with me so I can find it. And, I'll take a picture of my picture, front and back. I wonder how often people who work in that shop have to deal with American tourists like me?

I've sent you a 'friend request' and added you to my contacts. Maybe we should exchange email addreses?

I guess I should contact the Archives, when it gets closer to my trip. What are the chances that someone there will speak English and be willing to help me? Perhaps I should approach this from another angle - try to find someone here who speaks Ukrainian who can help.

I just made my final payment today - and had quite a tough time getting through to Viking, was on hold for about 5 minutes. Still waiting for the confirmation email, the lady said it would be processed at 5:30, guess that means Pacific time.

I never did find out if I could add the Kiev extension, but I think that must be possible, maybe with a $50 change fee, before my actual plane tickets are booked. Since I'm still almost 16 months out from traveling, I don't think the plane schedules have been set yet, for some reason I think that they're done 9 months in advance for most airlines.

Well, I'm going to have 'credit card statement shock' when the bill arrives next month, but I won't think about that today, I'll think about it tomorrow, after all, tomorrow is another day.

(This is where I tried to insert an image of Scarlet O'Hara, but that didn't work out... :confused:)

hi Grandcruisevirgin,

sure, you can leave me your address, and I can try to help whenever I

can.

Here is an official page of the archive in English:

http://derjarhiv.odessa.gov.ua/Main.aspx?sect=Page&IDPage=42246&id=130

In the past, I tried to contact them thought e-mail and phone, but

they never replied. The best bet is to come in person. And now, they

got government subsidy to redecorate the place (they needed it badly,

it was all falling down), and are even busier than before. Well,

maybe you will be lucky.

You mentioned before that you'd like to come there when you are in

Odessa. I am not sure about your travel arrangements, but you do

realize that you can easily spend half a day day there, staying in line

and staring at the walls in the narrow corridor? And that the day

must be either Monday, Wednesday or Friday from 9 to 12 only, and

there may be other applicants, and there is a possibility that you

won't even be admitted (as they close at 12)?

Edited by altiva

I'm sitting here looking at our pictures from the Cossack Show and trying to find at least one of the horses and riders in motion that I can put in our album. None of them has turned out. All the horses are blurry (and not just from motion) and the focus is on the fence behind rather than the horse and rider.

One of the reasons that they are so lousy is that I really never take action shots. Maybe I should have practiced before I left but honestly I never thought of it. Shame on me!

The horses go by awfully quickly, so quickly that by the time I pushed the shutter button, they were well past me. Then there is the added shutter lag when you are using a point and shoot--another time when I regretted not having my DSLR. Even burst mode on my p&s didn't seem to help--again I should have practiced and really understood how to use the feature.

Where to sit: We moved to the left to sit down and sat in the front row. Big mistake; because at times, we were shooting--and looking-- into the sun. Sit to the right as you come in to avoid the sun. We also managed to be right in front of the 'scenery' so that all of the best shots are ruined because they have a pyramid of lances in the foreground. Best shots are to the left and right of center. Regardless of the right seat, good shots are hard to get. Those critters move right fast!

IMHO--practice doing action shots. Find a place where the cars travel relatively slowly and practice taking pictures of them.

Just want to make sure that if my husband does not take suit he is not going to be out of place at supper or theatre/opera?

He would rather leave suit at home.

hi travelling,

in Odessa Opera House, you can spot people in their jeans (horror!). I think just nice pants with a shirt would do, jeans are too extreme. Someone else has to answer for supper.

Just want to make sure that if my husband does not take suit he is not going to be out of place at supper or theatre/opera?

He would rather leave suit at home.

There is absolutely no reason to take a suit on this cruise. IMHO, you don't even need a sports jacket or a tie. A button down (short or long sleeved) and dockers will get you through any situation including the opera/ballet and the captain's dinners.

There is absolutely no reason to take a suit on this cruise. IMHO, you don't even need a sports jacket or a tie. A button down (short or long sleeved) and dockers will get you through any situation including the opera/ballet and the captain's dinners.

Hubby is a very happy man with your reply. So am I as I will now have more room in the suitcase for more of my stuff.

I read a review where they mentioned flying bugs-mosquitos? on outdoor decks and that the sailing can get rough on Black sea

How did previous cruisers find these on their sailing?

Mid-May: Not much trouble with bugs on the Black Sea but once we got onto the river, it was a different story. They weren't bite-y bugs but they were everywhere!! We just kept our windows closed.

While I am thinking of it, most windows open up onto the deck promenade. FYI, even with the sheers pulled, folks can see right into your room. If you insist on parading around in your undies, please pull the room darkening shades first.

Mid-May: Not much trouble with bugs on the Black Sea but once we got onto the river, it was a different story. They weren't bite-y bugs but they were everywhere!! We just kept our windows closed.

While I am thinking of it, most windows open up onto the deck promenade. FYI, even with the sheers pulled, folks can see right into your room. If you insist on parading around in your undies, please pull the room darkening shades first.

Thanks for the heads up on the window remark.

I finally have all my pictures of the ship posted on Shutterfly.

We also finished DH's photobook of his pictures from the trip. Mine is still in the works because I am having trouble deciding on format. I actually could do half a dozen different books which is why I am having so much trouble.

Edited by Peregrina651

I finally have all my pictures of the ship posted on Shutterfly.

We also finished DH's photobook of his pictures from the trip. Mine is still in the works because I am having trouble deciding on format. I actually could do half a dozen different books which is why I am having so much trouble.

Thank you so much for posting these photos.

When they said it was a really old ship we did not know what to expect but we are pleasantly surprised how it looks.

And those photos of the food esp the desserts.My God I better take some looser fitting clothes for plane ride home.Breads and desserts are our weakness when on a trip.

Once again thanks for all your photos and tips.

Thank you so much for posting these photos.

When they said it was a really old ship we did not know what to expect but we are pleasantly surprised how it looks.

And those photos of the food esp the desserts.My God I better take some looser fitting clothes for plane ride home.Breads and desserts are our weakness when on a trip.

Once again thanks for all your photos and tips.

Old or otherwise, they do a good job of keeping up the ship. Cleaning is a constant ongoing process. Walls are wiped down; exterior windows are washed; metal is painted; rugs are shampooed, etc. The ship is clean smelling. We had an odor problem in the bathroom. I told the front desk about it and I did not have a problem with it for the rest of the trip. But, also, we kept the bathroom door open unless it was in use. Also, there is a vent in the cabin door which we also made sure stayed open to keep air circulating (especially since we were not planning on opening the window).

I'm still working on getting those extra pounds off!!

thanks for the tip about people walking outside your room.

Would have been caught"\!!!!!!

Onboard 6/6

Especially since you can't really hear people as they walk by, even if they are talking, so you kind of forget that they do. :eek:

WOOHOO. More boots on the ground. Looking forward to your running commentary.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its 5:45 am and I couldn't sleep.

Included tour in Kiev was fine, we also booked an option of Jewish Kiev.

Visited Babiyar and a temple.

We sailed from Kiev last night at 6. A thunderstorm started at 6:10.

Viking does seem to control everything.

Food has been VERY good. Staff wonderful.

Those still to come-you mght pick up a flat sink stopper.

Going under a bridge-may lose signal

Lou

Its 5:45 am and I couldn't sleep.

Included tour in Kiev was fine, we also booked an option of Jewish Kiev.

Visited Babiyar and a temple.

We sailed from Kiev last night at 6. A thunderstorm started at 6:10.

Viking does seem to control everything.

Food has been VERY good. Staff wonderful.

Those still to come-you mght pick up a flat sink stopper.

Going under a bridge-may lose signal

Lou

Good to know theship is seaworthy.

Would you mind posting the cost of the optional tours you take? Do they get charged to your ship account?

We researched optional tours for ourselves, but the timing is too tricky. May get Odessa Opera tickets when we get there. Viking sends out a brochure before the cruise with options and approx cost, but here is the on board listing. Prices are in UAH, approx 8 to the US dollar.

Chersonese 325

Black Sea Band 530

Balaklava 395

Nikita 310

Chechov House 265

Massandra winery 440

Odessa Opera 530

Akkerman Fortress 525

Odessa art gallery 300

Vodka Seminar 150.

Jewish Kiev was 325

Jewish Odessa is 390.

Hopes this helps.

They are charged to your on board account.

Lou

Edited by sitraveler
reply to post question.