Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

That is good to know. Can you share with us the specifics of what kind of adapter they are recommending or give us a link to the information? Thanks.

According to Viking, in the former USSR standard plug and socket is similar, but not identical to Schuko plug - known as Europlug. The 2 wire plug is ungrounded and has two round 4 mm pins. Schuko plugs might not work as they are a different distance apart and a different depth. The picture they enclosed of a sample adapter was labeled Travel Smart.

Sorry - there was a lot of technical info, but if you contact Viking I'm sure you'll get the same or similar response.

Well, it seems we have a problem since my response from Viking says Europlug. Here is the link that I was given: http://electricaloutlet.org/type-c. Ukraine isn't in the list of countries but if you go back to the home page and look at the list of countries, you will see that for Ukraine they list only Type-C.

I've just written back to Viking asking for a clarification and will share it just as soon as I can.

Thanks so much as that is the info we wanted as it sounds similar to our schedule.

What hotel did they put you up in Vienna?Was it airport or city?

We stayed at the NH Hotel Vienna Airport - about a 100 meter walk through the parking lot. We flew UIA [ukraine International] ODS-VIE, and if I recall correctly had a hot meal of pork cutlet. No dinner provided in VIE, but breakfast buffet was included at the hotel. We checked in, left our luggage and hopped the S-bahn from the airport to downtown. The City Airport Train (CAT) is 10 Euros each way, BUT the S-bahn is 3.6 Euros each way, and half that price if you are a Senior [defined as over 60 for females, over 65 for males]. CAT takes 16 minutes. S-bahn takes about 21 minutes. Both fares include continuation anywhere downtown on the U-bahn [i think, we took the S-bahn and it included the continuation].

enjoy

Thom

In light of the favorable response to my last reading suggestion, I will point out the March/April 2012 Saudi Aramco Magazine pp 2-11 article “The Palace and the Poet”. http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/201202/ This is about Bakhchisaray Palace of the Crimean Tartar Khan. At least last year this palace was an included excursion from Sevastopol. My magazine subscriptions include both Saudi Aramco Magazine and Physics Today, and I assume these are not on everyone’s standard reading list. Okay, I have somewhat eclectic reading tastes.

Thom

We stayed at the NH Hotel Vienna Airport - about a 100 meter walk through the parking lot. We flew UIA [ukraine International] ODS-VIE, and if I recall correctly had a hot meal of pork cutlet. No dinner provided in VIE, but breakfast buffet was included at the hotel. We checked in, left our luggage and hopped the S-bahn from the airport to downtown. The City Airport Train (CAT) is 10 Euros each way, BUT the S-bahn is 3.6 Euros each way, and half that price if you are a Senior [defined as over 60 for females, over 65 for males]. CAT takes 16 minutes. S-bahn takes about 21 minutes. Both fares include continuation anywhere downtown on the U-bahn [i think, we took the S-bahn and it included the continuation].

enjoy

Thom

PS We were originally told that we would have to pay for the hotel; then told it was at no additional cost. Not sure if it was paid for by Viking or by the airlines - didn't really care as long as it was not me paying:rolleyes:

Edited by TravelerThom
OPPS thought I was editing, but ended up double posting with addendum

Well, it seems we have a problem since my response from Viking says Europlug. Here is the link that I was given: http://electricaloutlet.org/type-c. Ukraine isn't in the list of countries but if you go back to the home page and look at the list of countries, you will see that for Ukraine they list only Type-C.

I've just written back to Viking asking for a clarification and will share it just as soon as I can.

We used the same adapters as we used in any other country without an issue. A little extra caution is required because the outlet is recessed about 1/2 inch so it's a little more difficult to pull the plug so to speak. Someone on the tour had a converter that was not compatible with the outlets so they borrowed one of our adapters since they were only charging camera batteries that didn't require a converter to begin with. Our kit contains about 6 varieties of adapters, but we used the ones which have a 19mm center to center separation, that are 4mm wide (not long as the link states) and 19mm in length...3/4" between prongs, prongs are 1/8" wide and 3/4" deep.

enjoy

Thom

Thanks for the tips on the trains.

For once I will get the senior discount and hubby won't.It is usually the other way.

Since they are paying I think they will give us a hotel closer to airport than town but hopefully we get the same hotel as you did as it sounds close to train and airport.

We used the same adapters as we used in any other country without an issue. A little extra caution is required because the outlet is recessed about 1/2 inch so it's a little more difficult to pull the plug so to speak. Someone on the tour had a converter that was not compatible with the outlets so they borrowed one of our adapters since they were only charging camera batteries that didn't require a converter to begin with. Our kit contains about 6 varieties of adapters, but we used the ones which have a 19mm center to center separation, that are 4mm wide (not long as the link states) and 19mm in length...3/4" between prongs, prongs are 1/8" wide and 3/4" deep.

Bob, thanks. All I have are the Europlug adapters (I call them snake-eyes) and I sure do hope they work because its all I have. Ha! I'll know soon enough.

In light of the favorable response to my last reading suggestion, I will point out the March/April 2012 Saudi Aramco Magazine pp 2-11 article “The Palace and the Poet”. http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/201202/ This is about Bakhchisaray Palace of the Crimean Tartar Khan. At least last year this palace was an included excursion from Sevastopol. My magazine subscriptions include both Saudi Aramco Magazine and Physics Today, and I assume these are not on everyone’s standard reading list. Okay, I have somewhat eclectic reading tastes.

Thom

I just printed it out to read at leisure (that rhymes with pleasure) and at the same time have to thank you the link I found to a virtual tour of my favorite place on earth, the Alhambra. Looking forward to watching that at my leisure. ;)

Thanks for the tips on the trains.

For once I will get the senior discount and hubby won't.It is usually the other way.

Since they are paying I think they will give us a hotel closer to airport than town but hopefully we get the same hotel as you did as it sounds close to train and airport.

Having been in the same situation, I know of course your husband will NEVER mention that only one of you is a senior, and it is not him - I know I Never said that:rolleyes:

A word to the wise: UIA [ukrainian] didn't really seem to know what they were doing when they checked us in at ODS. We had seats together ODS-VIE, but our boarding passes for our continuation the next day were not together. We stopped at the OS [Austrian] counter in Vienna before hopping the train downtown to get seats together, and OS said that because we were not properly checked in at ODS our contination was void and we would have to BUY NEW TICKETS:eek:! Apparently UIA had not checked us in as e-tickets. Okay, so if we have e-tickets can't you [OS] check us in?? We got it all cleared up in a few minutes, but were glad that we had done it the night before, and not while watching the plane board.

S-bahn tickets at VIE are sold only at a machine [at least that is all I found]. Unless you have a European style chip enhanced credit card you will need Euros to purchase. Change is given.

Thom

A word to the wise: UIA [ukrainian] didn't really seem to know what they were doing when they checked us in at ODS. We had seats together ODS-VIE, but our boarding passes for our continuation the next day were not together. We stopped at the OS [Austrian] counter in Vienna before hopping the train downtown to get seats together, and OS said that because we were not properly checked in at ODS our contination was void and we would have to BUY NEW TICKETS:eek:! Apparently UIA had not checked us in as e-tickets. Okay, so if we have e-tickets can't you [OS] check us in?? We got it all cleared up in a few minutes, but were glad that we had done it the night before, and not while watching the plane board.

S-bahn tickets at VIE are sold only at a machine [at least that is all I found]. Unless you have a European style chip enhanced credit card you will need Euros to purchase. Change is given.

Thom

Okay!! Now we are cooking. This is just the kind of information we want to know. I'm sure that we will accumulate more and more of these little tips as we go along. Thanks, Thom!

BTW, I'm flying into ODS (Odesa), so I won't be able to report about my check-in experience there. We will have to wait for someone doing the Kiev to Odesa run. ;)

I just checked the 10-day forecast so I can start packing. It is going to be a bit chillier than I expected. Boston's unseasonably warm April has completely thrown me off and my original packing list is out the window. Back to the drawing board! Where are my turtlenecks?

Good thing we are starting in Odesa, because it will be raining in Kiev through the weekend. I hope it clears up by the following weekend when we arrive.

I just checked the 10-day forecast so I can start packing. It is going to be a bit chillier than I expected. Boston's unseasonably warm April has completely thrown me off and my original packing list is out the window. Back to the drawing board! Where are my turtlenecks?

Good thing we are starting in Odesa, because it will be raining in Kiev through the weekend. I hope it clears up by the following weekend when we arrive.

Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful, enjoyable cruise in Ukraine. Can't wait to read your reports on the ship, the food and the ports.

According to Viking, in the former USSR standard plug and socket is similar, but not identical to Schuko plug - known as Europlug. The 2 wire plug is ungrounded and has two round 4 mm pins. Schuko plugs might not work as they are a different distance apart and a different depth. The picture they enclosed of a sample adapter was labeled Travel Smart.

Sorry - there was a lot of technical info, but if you contact Viking I'm sure you'll get the same or similar response.

I e-mailed Viking Customer Relations who contacted the ship directly to make sure that we had the right information. Here is what the ship's hotel manager said:

In general we have the normal Schuko plugs like in Germany with 220 V. If your equipment needs 170 V or something like that, than you need a transformer.

Bob's experience confirms this as well.

I e-mailed Viking Customer Relations who contacted the ship directly to make sure that we had the right information. Here is what the ship's hotel manager said:

In general we have the normal Schuko plugs like in Germany with 220 V. If your equipment needs 170 V or something like that, than you need a transformer.

Bob's experience confirms this as well.

Thanks for this info. I guess that means that the plug we used on their ship for our Danube cruise should work. Marsha

[

BTW, I'm flying into ODS (Odesa), so I won't be able to report about my check-in experience there. We will have to wait for someone doing the Kiev to Odesa run. ;)[/color][/font]

I guess that would be us.We do the Kiev- Odessa cruise June 27th.

We really appreciate all the helpful tips.

[

BTW, I'm flying into ODS (Odesa), so I won't be able to report about my check-in experience there. We will have to wait for someone doing the Kiev to Odesa run. ;)[/color][/font]

I guess that would be us.We do the Kiev- Odessa cruise June 27th.

We really appreciate all the helpful tips.

Yes, but there are a couple of Kiev-Odessa runs before you leave and maybe someone on one of those sailings will chime in with some insight.

We leave in just 16 hours. Let me re-cap the questions. Someone asked about dining room temp control. Other than that, we seemed to have answered all the other questions other than those concerning weather but May weather won't help June and July travelers.

Heads-up: Follow the weather forecasts on multiple website.

I depended on the 10 day forecast on weather.com to pack but now I see from checking a different page on weather.com and Weather Underground that temps are and are predicted to be another 10 degrees warmer. I'm off to add a couple more sleeveless shirts to my bag and maybe even a pair of sandals!!

Meteorology and baseball, the only professions where you can be right only one-third of the time and still make a million dollars!

WE ARE HERE. And ready for two weeks of relaxation. Our cabin --and remember that I promised to make plenty jokes -- is smaller than my bathroom at home! Our yacht style bathroom can at best be described as cozy. Eventually, I will post pictures. Size not withstanding, the room is clean and that is more important than size!

WE ARE HERE. And ready for two weeks of relaxation. Our cabin --and remember that I promised to make plenty jokes -- is smaller than my bathroom at home! Our yacht style bathroom can at best be described as cozy. Eventually, I will post pictures. Size not withstanding, the room is clean and that is more important than size!

How was your flight?

How strong is the internet signal?

Looking forward to photos and your trip reports.

Enjoy and smooth sailing!

WE ARE HERE. And ready for two weeks of relaxation. Our cabin --and remember that I promised to make plenty jokes -- is smaller than my bathroom at home! Our yacht style bathroom can at best be described as cozy. Eventually, I will post pictures. Size not withstanding, the room is clean and that is more important than size![/quote

You have the deluxe accommodations...where else can you use the WC and the shower at the same time;-)

How was your flight?

How strong is the internet signal?

Looking forward to photos and your trip reports.

Enjoy and smooth sailing!

IMHO, the connection at Dulles cut it too close. My fault. I wasn't paying enough attention and should have requested an earlier flight. The flight to Vienna was long but I was in a drug induced slumber and could have cared less. Food was so-so; breakfast was a sandwich--ham and cheese on white bread with margarine/butter. We had plenty of time in Vienna and with arrival in Odessa at 1:40pm, IMHO, it is the best way to connect into ODS. We had to go thru screen again in VIE--bags through the scanners; bodies through the archway. No jetway to the ODS flight or at ODS. Get ready to walk the stairs. No problems with stowing our suitcases in the overheads on any of the flights and our bags arrived when we did.

Internet is as SLOW as molasses in Antartica. Patience is a must.

No safes in the rooms.

Bob, I am still looking for the cousins. Henry is Hotel Manager. Mattias is head chef. Alyona is Program Director. Alla is head guide and Svetlana and Natasha(?) are with her on this trip. More names as I get them.

Don Giovanni at the opera tomorrow night and Giselle at the ballet, the next. You can google the opera house schedule on line but it is some ticket agency with the information.

More to come as it spills from my brain--but NOT until tomorrow.

Glad you arrived safely. Please let us know about temperature on the boat -- staterooms and public areas. Trying to figure out what to pack -- sweaters/wraps for evenings? Anxious to hear your impressions of the included tours and what optional excursions you take. How's the food? Do you have to be in the lounge for the enrichment lectures or are they piped outside so you can sit and enjoy the scenery as you sail? Thanks for the info about no safe in the room. Will leave the good cz's home!!! LOL Enjoy.

Bob, I am still looking for the cousins. Henry is Hotel Manager. Mattias is head chef. Alyona is Program Director. Alla is head guide and Svetlana and Natasha(?) are with her on this trip. More names as I get them.

Thanks Andrea...Henry is one of the most personable Hotel Managers we've met. Mattias is a lot of fun, great at the dumpling demonstration. I think Alla was our head guide...no Svetlana, but we had a Natalia/Natasha also. Her name tag said Natasha, but her actual name was Natalia with died blonde hair. Hopefully one or two of the cousins are on board...Alyona and Nastya are the two we had the most contact with.

It is 20 degrees warmer than I expected and it will only get warmer; it is in the 80s as this trip and the season gets started and will only get hotter. . It is too soon to give a report on ship board temps but so far I wish the public spaces were a bit cooler. But then again, temperatures are so subjective.