Viking 'Footsteps of the Cossacks' (Ukraine)

Peregrina651

We leave in four weeks from today. According to UPS, our documents are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

If you have any specific questions about the trip, post them now and I will watch for the answers as we go along. It is much easier to answer specific questions and it is much easier to have he questions in advance so I can be on the look out for answers--or can go looking for them.

I'm hoping to keep up a running commentary as we go along but it really depends on how much down time we have during the cruise and how good the internet connections are.

As your cruise leaves before ours, please let us know about the temperature in the dining room. On prior Viking ships, it was a little warm for me and I plan to pack only sleeveless, light weight tops for dinner (with a wrap). Also, daytime temps on daily tours. On European ships we did not need a voltage converter....what about this one? :confused: Can't wait to read your take on the cities and optional excursions. Thanks.

Enjoy your cruise!!! Marsha

• 2 weeks later...
We leave in four weeks from today. According to UPS, our documents are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

If you have any specific questions about the trip, post them now and I will watch for the answers as we go along. It is much easier to answer specific questions and it is much easier to have he questions in advance so I can be on the look out for answers--or can go looking for them.

I'm hoping to keep up a running commentary as we go along but it really depends on how much down time we have during the cruise and how good the internet connections are.

Our cruise is on June 27th and would like to know a few things if you do not mind.

We would like to know if you can buy local currency UAH onboard and how the tipping is settled-Automatic or envelopes ,cash currency and if you can use credit card.

Hairdryers in rooms?

Looking forward to your review and tips when you return.

Our cruise is on June 27th and would like to know a few things if you do not mind.

We would like to know if you can buy local currency UAH onboard and how the tipping is settled-Automatic or envelopes ,cash currency and if you can use credit card.

Hairdryers in rooms?

Looking forward to your review and tips when you return.

This comes from the departure information booklet sent with our docs: no currency exchange on board. Also, they don't accept traveler's cheques. Tips by cash or charged to credit card and they are not automatic. The booklet includes two pages of money matters (ATMs, tips, etc.)

The booklet also says that deluxe rooms include hairdryers and that otherwise they are available on request.

I'll give more details once I get them.

Thanks for the information.You must be getting anxious.I know we are and we still have over 2 months to go.

Our only concern is that we only have an hour between flights in Vienna so hopefully our flight from Canada to Vienna is not late.

Like others I have found very little reviews on the ship or tours but I am quite sure we wil enjoy.

Like others I have found very little reviews on the ship or tours but I am quite sure we wil enjoy.

Well, then I guess it is up to us to provide it! We will just have to flood the internet with helpful hints and then help folks to find it.

Viking Lomonosov, the boat used by Viking on the Dneiper was named for Mikhail Lomonosov, a Russian scientist, whose 300th birthday was 19 Nov 2011. The Feb 2012 issue of Physics Today [available at many libraries] has an article on Lomonosov's life [pp40-46]. If you are going, read the article and impress your fellow passengers with your knowledge:D

Thom

Viking Lomonosov, the boat used by Viking on the Dneiper was named for Mikhail Lomonosov, a Russian scientist, whose 300th birthday was 19 Nov 2011. The Feb 2012 issue of Physics Today [available at many libraries] has an article on Lomonosov's life [pp40-46]. If you are going, read the article and impress your fellow passengers with your knowledge:D

Thom

Thanks, Thom!

Here is a link to the wikipedia article on Lomonosov.

Here is a link to the Physics Today article that Thom mentioned.

Here is a picture of Lomonosov.

220px-Lomonosovportrait.jpg

This comes from the departure information booklet sent with our docs: no currency exchange on board. Also, they don't accept traveler's cheques. Tips by cash or charged to credit card and they are not automatic. The booklet includes two pages of money matters (ATMs, tips, etc.)

The booklet also says that deluxe rooms include hairdryers and that otherwise they are available on request.

I'll give more details once I get them.

The tour guide is included in the ship's tips which minimizes the amount of cash you need if you pay by CC. No local guides and the buses travel the entire route so you only need to tip one driver at the end. No need for wads of small bills;-)

Bob, will our guide at least give us a hint that it is our last bus ride and now is the time to tip?

The guides are very good about letting you know when to provide a tip. The first day when the guide introduced our driver she made it very clear that he would be with us the entire trip so there was no need to thank him for every bus ride. Then the final day after our last city tour she informed us that he would not be our driver anymore.

The guides are very good about letting you know when to provide a tip. The first day when the guide introduced our driver she made it very clear that he would be with us the entire trip so there was no need to thank him for every bus ride. Then the final day after our last city tour she informed us that he would not be our driver anymore.

Thanks, Bob. That is just what I wanted to hear.

We are trying to find out what the procedure is if we have a late afternoon flight [4]out of Odessa and we booked our air with Viking?

Do we stay on board or can we get off the ship in the morning and come back in afternoon for transportation to ship or do they take you straight to airport in AM?

We are trying to find out what the procedure is if we have a late afternoon flight [4]out of Odessa and we booked our air with Viking?

Do we stay on board or can we get off the ship in the morning and come back in afternoon for transportation to ship or do they take you straight to airport in AM?

Last year we had Viking Air ODS to VIE [and then a hotel in Vienna before proceeeding the next day]. I don't have the details in front of me, but our flight was about 3 or 4. I don't remember when we left for the airport, but it seems that we had 2-3 hours at ODS [more than enough time, but not sitting around forever]. I think we had a large late breakfast, but not lunch. [We had gotten lunch on arrival in Kiev around 1pm]. I think you'd be able to get off for a little while in the morning on your own. Sorry I'm a little vague, but should be better than no info at all.

Thom

Last year we had Viking Air ODS to VIE [and then a hotel in Vienna before proceeeding the next day]. I don't have the details in front of me, but our flight was about 3 or 4. I don't remember when we left for the airport, but it seems that we had 2-3 hours at ODS [more than enough time, but not sitting around forever]. I think we had a large late breakfast, but not lunch. [We had gotten lunch on arrival in Kiev around 1pm]. I think you'd be able to get off for a little while in the morning on your own. Sorry I'm a little vague, but should be better than no info at all.

Thom

Thanks so much as that is the info we wanted as it sounds similar to our schedule.

What hotel did they put you up in Vienna?Was it airport or city?

Thanks so much as that is the info we wanted as it sounds similar to our schedule.

What hotel did they put you up in Vienna?Was it airport or city?

I'd rather be wrong than not say anything at all (and correct me if I am): Please ask your TA/Viking but I think that you are responsible for making and paying for your hotel reservation on the stop-over.

I'd rather be wrong than not say anything at all (and correct me if I am): Please ask your TA/Viking but I think that you are responsible for making and paying for your hotel reservation on the stop-over.

Andrea, this is from the Viking Website concerning Ukraine...

Based on available air schedules, a forced overnight or long layover may be required. In this case, you may need to depart the U.S. one day earlier. The cost of your forced overnight/transit hotel may be covered when you purchase all-inclusive roundtrip international air from Viking. This is only available to passengers whose flights arrive or depart on ship check-in or check-out day; may not be combined with custom air, stopovers, deviations and/or extensions.

I know Thom and a number of other passengers on our cruise did an overnight in Vienna so he should be able to answer whether the hotel was included. Another couple paid for a night in NYC before continuing to the west coast.

Please tell the three young ladies Katya, Nastya, and Alyona hi from Bob and Debbie. They are 3 cousins that worked on the ship last year that we had a lot of fun with, but we haven't heard from them since February to know if they are working again. Sitting at Alyona's table is a lot of fun...great sense of humor.

IMG_4929.jpg.364d6e99a15c35a6eb8620c18869e183.jpg

Our hotel was included.

Do you have your suitcases packed as don't you leave soon.

We are looking forward to your review when you return.If we do not hear from you before you leave have a wonderful trip!

Our hotel was included.

Do you have your suitcases packed as don't you leave soon.

We are looking forward to your review when you return.If we do not hear from you before you leave have a wonderful trip!

I haven't even begun to pack. First I have to worry about a little weekend jaunt and then I can start packing for real. But how difficult can it be to grab a couple of shirts and some clean underwear? And if I stay up all night packing, then maybe I will sleep on the plane without any artificial aids.

Glad to hear that the forced overnight in Vienna is paid for and I am sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Andrea, this is from the Viking Website concerning Ukraine...

Based on available air schedules, a forced overnight or long layover may be required. In this case, you may need to depart the U.S. one day earlier. The cost of your forced overnight/transit hotel may be covered when you purchase all-inclusive roundtrip international air from Viking. This is only available to passengers whose flights arrive or depart on ship check-in or check-out day; may not be combined with custom air, stopovers, deviations and/or extensions.

I went looking on the website but I must not have looked in the right place. Look at all the caveats in that paragraph. You may still have to ask if your hotel is covered, just to clarify.

Please tell the three young ladies Katya, Nastya, and Alyona hi from Bob and Debbie. They are 3 cousins that worked on the ship last year that we had a lot of fun with, but we haven't heard from them since February to know if they are working again. Sitting at Alyona's table is a lot of fun...great sense of humor.

I just copied the thumbnail and will eventually figure out how to get it onto my telephone so that I have it to show the cousins. If the picture doesn't show up well on my phone, I'll get back to you and ask you to send the original file.

On our second morning, they are taking us to the Odessa Catacombs. I freak out in small places (yes, I am a flaming neurotic). I can do the cool caves with stalagtites and stalagmites because while enclosed they are general spacious and have some moving air, so underground tunnels aren't completely off the agenda. My question is... What else is there on this adventure for me to see? Can I avoid the catacombs part of the tour if we decide it is just not for me? Whatever you can tell me in advance will be helpful. Pictures?? Bob, I'm off to check yours now; I hope you have some. :eek:

I suppose I should ask the same questions about the submarine tunnels in Sevastopol.

Edited by Peregrina651

On our second morning, they are taking us to the Odessa Catacombs. I freak out in small places (yes, I am a flaming neurotic). I can do the cool caves with stalagtites and stalagmites because while enclosed they are general spacious and have some moving air, so underground tunnels aren't completely off the agenda. My question is... What else is there on this adventure for me to see? Can I avoid the catacombs part of the tour if we decide it is just not for me? Whatever you can tell me in advance will be helpful. Pictures?? Bob, I'm off to check yours now; I hope you have some. :eek:

I suppose I should ask the same questions about the submarine tunnels in Sevastopol.

The catacombs was an optional tour last year so I don't have any info. The caveat about whether the hotel may be included is with the dates/pricing. The submarine base tunnels are very large...the entire tour group could almost walk side by side. The cousins have all the pictures that they were in...downloaded from laptop.

Edited by Kohola
added info

The catacombs was an optional tour last year so I don't have any info. The caveat about whether the hotel may be included is with the dates/pricing. The submarine base tunnels are very large...the entire tour group could almost walk side by side. The cousins have all the pictures that they were in...downloaded from laptop.

Ha! The picture is for me, so I can recognize the cousins and make sure we sit at their tables. I was looking at your pictures last night. I am so ready to be traveling already. There is no price listed with catacombs tour, so I'm assuming that it is included now. Viking is forever tweaking. ;)

Just heard back from Viking re: use of personal electronic devices on ship and they are recommending a specific type of adapter/converter. If you plan to bring any chargers, etc., you should be aware of a possible problem with prongs that are too short.

Just heard back from Viking re: use of personal electronic devices on ship and they are recommending a specific type of adapter/converter. If you plan to bring any chargers, etc., you should be aware of a possible problem with prongs that are too short.

That is good to know. Can you share with us the specifics of what kind of adapter they are recommending or give us a link to the information? Thanks.