Oxygen, C-Pap, Wheelchair

Riba

We are thinking of going to Bermuda from Boston on the Norweigan Dawn in July. My husband needs all three of the special aids. He does not use a wheelchair at home now, but we thought it would be easier for him on the ship. Does anyone know where I would call to rent these in Boston? We rent everything except the wheelchair from Apria in Boston. Has anyone dealt with these problems before? Thanks for any info you can give me.

We bring our own C-Pap, however it can be rented by one of the cruise line approved companies. We bring our own POC, it also can be rented. We bring our own chair, it too can be rented . If you rent from one of these agencies, the equipment will be waiting for you in your room, and will be picked up after you leave.

Try Care Vacations, Access at sea. there are more, but I can't seem to remember them. Call the Access dept with your cruise line to see who they approve.

We rent a POC to arrive at our home, especially if we are going to fly, as DH needs oxygen to fly. We have rented from Oxygen to Go. You might want to bring a surge protector to plug the POC and C-Pap in as outlets can be sparse.

You can rent a wheelchair from the two companies Ms Ann mentioned. They will deliver to the ship which saves the hassle of you picking it up and transporting it.

The ramp onto the ship at Boston's Black Falcon can be very, very steep depending on the tide. Waiting for someone to assist with a ship's W/C could take a long time, then you have the difficulty of getting to your room, if it's ready, to access your rented chair. I suggest you board with your own rented W/C. Much easier, and I am saying this from experience.

There are numerous medical equipment & supply businesses throughout MA. I have the yellow pages for the South Shore in front of me, and it has over two pages of listings. I used to rent a w/c for my Mom to use on cruises prior to her needing full time use of a chair.

You could check with your local pharmacy or doctor/hospital for reliable places to rent in your area.

Darcy

Archived