Need alternative to stingray tour in case of weather next week!

World Gallery

We are scheduled to be in GC next Wednesday and booked independently for a Waverunner Stingray tour with grandcaymancruiseexcursions Right now, the forecast is for a 60% chance of rain and wind. We are still 6 days out but I would like to have a plan in mind in case that is canceled. We are a family with 5 kids ages 10 - 17. Are there independent tour operators set up when you get off of the tender like in other ports (always have seen them in Cozumel)? What is a good option in the rain?

We are set for our 3rd cruise in about 60 days. For the first time we are going to try excursions in two of our 4 ports. Normally we have just walked the port and town at every stop: local museums, stores, architecture etc..and of course some true local food (conch, stewed cows foot, jerk, turtle, plantain etc..). We have done CG once before this way. This time we searched GC things to do and found almost too much. The Turtle farm seems a priority since it has touch tanks, aviary area, reptile area, nature trails and a snorkling lagoon and shark tank, and it is close to Hell and some geocaches my family likes. The other side of the island has the Caybrew Brewery Tour and Pedro St. James National Historic Site. Finding all this, we may need to visit GC a third time?

I am not sure my 7 year old would know any better or enjoy the trips any better if all we did was excursions at every port.

K and the A-Team

We are scheduled to be in GC next Wednesday and booked independently for a Waverunner Stingray tour with grandcaymancruiseexcursions Right now, the forecast is for a 60% chance of rain and wind. We are still 6 days out but I would like to have a plan in mind in case that is canceled. We are a family with 5 kids ages 10 - 17. Are there independent tour operators set up when you get off of the tender like in other ports (always have seen them in Cozumel)? What is a good option in the rain?

Yes, there are an array of tents set up for tour operators when you get off the tender. Ask questions about time, cost (USD or Cayman?), and what is offered with your "new" tour........

If its really windy-- you probably will not be going to Grand Cayman.

but that being said-- why would you cancel a water excursion if it rains?

I do not read weather forcasts now- Its disappointing when I read it a week out only to discover when I get there nothing was further from the truth.

Weather-- we cant change- so why stress about it- (thats why i cant read it.)

Gotta agree with the above...why cancel a water tour because of rain? I have been to Grand Cayman 3 times...and a 4th in 2 weeks. Every time we have been there we have seen rain for at least a short period of time. Its not uncommon to see heavy rain there but it usually blows over pretty quickly too.

Now if the weather is bad the ship wont even anchor offshore and allow people to tender anyway.

So if you make it ashore...you will be good to go for your tour.

Archived