Booking a Guaranteed

Melody80

Im not sure I understand what it means. My husband and I are planning a cruise with another couple. This is our second cruise but the first one was a honnymoon gift so we had no hand in planning it.

Is it worth doing? Will I more than likely get an upgraded cabin? We want on ocean view picture window at the lest. If there is a chance I could end up with the small portholes Im not interested.

Also does it made terribly what deck you are on? I know the higher up you go the more $$ per person.

What about being in the front, middle, or back of the ship. Does it matter much?

Sorry this is so choppy... Ive got a toddler in my lap...

The first rule would be, always book the *minimum* category that you would be happy with, as upgrades should *never* be assumed. In your case, you would want a 6A guarantee. Way too many people book a 1A guarantee, and then come back here screaming bloody murder that they didn't get upgraded to *at least* a balcony. :mad:

Carnival subscribes to the theory that "higher is better" so charges more to move up decks for the same type of cabin. This is complete hogwash, as *lower* is actually better for persons prone to motion sensitivity.

You can book a guarantee for any category you want. The guarantee will be no less than the room you selected.

Don't get your hopes up for an upgrade.

If you want a large OV window, GTY that category, don't take your chances GTY a 6A when you want a 6C (example only,not all ships are created equally)

We will be going on the Ecstacy. My DH seems to think the lower the deck the lower the service. Thats not true is it? We dont get to go on vacation very often so I really want to make this great (and within budget). We can afford a high deck but if there is no diffrance Id much rather spend that money on drinks and entertainment:p .

No, that is not true. Lowest deck gets the same service as the highest deck.

We booked a 4A last year and ended up with a 4B, which I think is pretty standard for upgrades. If you want a ov room, book a OV Gty and you will be assured at least a 6A. That is what we did for our upcoming cruise. Of course, we are hoping for a wonderful upgrade to a balcony room :D, but not expecting it.

Hi Melody,

No the service is not different on the lower decks, you get the same service as any else. I just booked my sister in law and inside guarantee and she received a 3 catagory upgrade. Doesn;'t always happen though. Going in Nov and we all booked guarantees. Just not sure what room we'll be in on ship, just a balcaony. Its a gamble, but it can save a lot of money. Just be sure if you really want a window, book lowest window guarantee. It you want to pick a specific room, you can't.

Liz

Service is the same regardless of the deck..at least that has been my experience and you do seem to feel less motion on the lower decks. This willbe our ninth cruise and this is the first time that we have book a guarantee...the price for a balcony guarantee was about a hundred dollars pp lower than the minimum

balcony catagory and since last cruise that is what we booked, I saw no reason not to take the lower priced guarantee since we were very pleased with the 8a catagory.

Just got our cabin assignments for May 26 Ecstasy. Booked an inside guarantee and got a 4C. This is pretty standard for other cruises we've booked using guarantees. Service is the same regardless of deck or cabin, unless you book the highest level of suites.

Another thing to think about when booking guarantees is how many inside/outside rooms that ship has. For example, you booked an inside guarantee on one of the Spirit Class ships, you have a better chance of getting an outside room there, since 80% of the rooms are outside. With the conquest class, the percentage is about 60 % I think. Less likely to go from inside to outside there, especially in peak season.

June

I booked an inside guarantee very early on a ship (Glory) that had trouble selling out and I got, as expected, a low level (main) inside room. I will never book a guarantee again, however, because our room was about as far forward as you could get and sufferend from horrible loud crashing sounds and vibrations.

As for service, this room did have the best cabin steward I've ever had, so the talent of help does not really vary by deck.

Archived