Alaska 2013

KarinaGW

If you are thinking about either the cruise or cruise/tour. My DW and I did the cruise/tour last June with RCCL radiance of the seas. The cruise was fantastic (or first one too) As much as RCCL did the best job with the tour part we felt rushed (on/off the bus for 4 days) The hotels they use are great. the buses they use are like new. their double decker train was awesome and the guide was great. As you can see we have no complaints as to the quality of the tour, it was the rushing to see all and get where we needed to get. My suggestion (just a suggestion, everyone's needs are different) We said that if we did it again we would do the cruise then rent a car one way and see Alaska. Just wanted to pass that along. We did the Vancouver to Fairbanks 11 day cruise/tour package. We stayed in Vancouver for the first 3 nights before the cruise then flew out of Fairbanks. If interested we stayed in Balcony Staeroom room E1-8586 Deluxe Ocean view[/color]. http://joycechrisphotos.shutterfly.com/2722#2722See photos in link.

Our TA booked it and the room was great, Larger than usual balcony. The balcony was on an angle due to the position of being the front corner of the hump. What was great was the balcony angle faced forward so you could easily sit in a chair and look foward while everyone else has to stand up and look over the railing for the same look.

P.S. If you decide to do the cruise/tour though, another thing to think about. We did the tour afterwards. I would definatley do the tour part first. As nice as RCCL did the tour going from being treated like and King and Queen on the ship to be put on a bus was very depressing and we saw it on others faces too.

Approximately when can I start looking for these cruises? Got 2 coming up in the next 5 months. The next OFFICIAL one will be Alaska in May or June 2013.

tanx/k

Alaska in May or June is wonderful. It's the best time to see wildlife because they're active and hungry after the long winter. Just take lots of layered clothing and don't forget fleece and a good rain jacket. If you choose the one way itinerary that begins or ends in Seward you will get a better sampler of the Alaska passage, more glacier views, and have the opportunity to spend time farther north. If you choose to do a bit of touring on your own, car rental is easy and you will get to experience the vast beauty of this state on your own timetable. It is a good 5 to 6 hour drive from Anchorage north to Denali National Park. There are nice lodging options outside the park including some friendly bed and breakfast options. Denali operates busses into the interior of the park that offer the best wildlife viewing opportunities. I've been to Alaska many times and this is my very favorite. You can choose a half or full day. The driver acts as your guide on this no-frills trip into the wilderness. One day I counted over three hundred animals, some up close, and the photos were amazing. If you like to fish, Seward is a good jumping off point and you may be there at halibut season.

Archived