Steamers are being confiscated

LisaFL

The ban of irons and steamers have nothing to do with causing a fire. Most irons today have timers and auto shutoff.

They are banned for 3 reasons.

1. People are careless and melt the bed spread, chairs and floor.

2. The cabins electrical system can easily be overloaded and breakers tripped if you are running a hair dryer and iron / steamer at the same time.

3. Generate revenue by items getting sent out for pressing.

I'll take what's behind Door #3, Monty...

A fire at sea aboard a ship IS the worse case scenario that a crew can train to encounter....and to think one could be caused by a malfunction in an electrical devise banned by the company....I can live with wrinkles ....carry wrinkle release....Oh yea I heard it all before.."well it will never happen to me...I'm not like the others"....:rolleyes:

My wife just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean going over what is and isn't allowed. She was sent to the following page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

It appears steamers are not listed on the site but the info the Rep on phone had showed they were no longer allowed? It appears the web may not have been updated.

Also when she asked about power strips and surge protectors they advised they were not on the banned item list they have. She mentioned that people are posting that they are being taken and informed that they are banned??? They still stated they were not on the list of banned items?

One other item she was informed on was if the steamer or other heat related item has an auto off to prevent a fire it is allowed. My response was how do you show or prove it has an auto off if it isn't on the product?

I was worried about the extension cord for my CPAP in Sept after reading all the posts about extension cords and power strips being confiscated. I kept the one permanently attached to the CPAP cord with the CPAP,and also put a brand new one in my checked luggage. Both made it through without a question.

Obviously what gets on board with you depends on who's watching the xray machine when

your stuff goes through.

On our sailing last month they were confiscating steamers and YES they were selling steamers in the general store, talk about double standards.

If you buy one of theirs and bring it on next cruise would it be OK or would it be confiscated? Might be handy to keep to keep the receipt with it. Also, is not the list of prohibited items a part of the printed cruise contract (documents)?

OMG

What next-----

The power to the cabin will be turned off when not in use, like some hotels that you have to place your room key in the holder for the main power to go on.

Safe travels.

Traveled twice on MSC. They do this. If the key card is not in the slot nothing in the cabin works. Actually a pretty good idea for saving energy.

I just got off the Navigator on Saturday, and I was able to pack my steamer with no problem. I also took a hair dryer (I don't like the ones they provide), a flat iron, and a small travel fan - all of which made it to my room with no problems.

I was on the phone today with rccl also and they told me no steamers. When I said well thank goodness you aren't making the turkey list with no hair dryer and she then informed me that I couldn't bring that either.

I went through the same conversation about if it isn't on your list it should be allowed and got no where. Ask her to please email me a copy of the "for real" list that she works off, so that when I get on I won't have to go to the naughty room to get my bag. I'm still waiting for that email and my guess will be even after I leave for the curise

Archived